this is an inshore trip.

Started by alantani, November 19, 2014, 10:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

25N will work well...Maybe a narrow 40 fathom 2spd to cover most anything we will get? I only used low gear once this past June, but was glad I had it

George4741

Thank you all for the info and recommendations.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Aiala

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on December 03, 2014, 12:17:48 AM
Unless you're a mono/conventional/classic purist like Aiala... ;)

Hey, I'm not that much of a Luddite... I have a (pink) Avet JX 6/3! And before the SOA trip, I hope to send my vintage 12T International to Cal Sheets for 2-speeding.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

Quote from: Aiala on December 03, 2014, 09:55:37 PM...Hey, I'm not that much of a Luddite...

Since Tim is taking the part of "That guy" in 2015 (a previous post somewhere in this topic), I'm taking the role of Luddite for trip. Only Star drags and spinners for me...er...wait, do the spinners disqualify me?

No matter! I'll walks uphill, both ways, in the snow, in bare feet to get the SOA, and I'll likes it that way.

alantani

you're not going to get disqualified with a spinner, just make sure it has enough drag.  a couple of years ago i watched a girl get spool fishing with a light spinner in maybe 10 seconds.  we were fishing for calicos at cedros and she hooked into either a yellowtail or a white seabass.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Porthos

Quote from: alantani on December 03, 2014, 11:34:16 PMyou're not going to get disqualified with a spinner, just make sure it has enough drag...

No problem Alan, the other Alan (Hawk, that is) said his Fin Nor LT100 handled 50+ lbs drag easily; I'm willing to go up to 30lbs on mine with assistance from a Braid Products RR100.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: alantani on December 03, 2014, 11:34:16 PM
you're not going to get disqualified with a spinner, just make sure it has enough drag.  a couple of years ago i watched a girl get spool fishing with a light spinner in maybe 10 seconds.  we were fishing for calicos at cedros and she hooked into either a yellowtail or a white seabass.

Exactly, thats what I like about Cedros, big mean fish hang with their smaller cousins, not to say a 8-10 lb Calico is small. The fish at Cedros are not line shy and fishing 40 lb gear for cali's may not be that much fun but when you do hook into a monster there you do not want to be under gunned. Someone said deep release.... well a shallow release is not uncommon there.

I'm not saying don't fish light gear but if you do get into one of those...oh $#!& moments and your under gunned well thats because of you. Take and use gear up for the task. Why, you may ask?..it is becuse I have been there and done that, deep, shallow and long distance release at that those lovely/nasty places where a possible fish of a life time is only the next cast away.

Big Tim

LUDDITE ??? that's kind of old skool way of thinking...Smashing/breaking and not embracing modern technology  :-\

What the heck do I know I think this guy is cool ;D ;D ;D

Big Tim

Quote from: George4741 on December 03, 2014, 02:02:30 AM
Thank you all for the info and recommendations.
George

George: If Alan remembers his reel bag you will have a chance to fish with allot of really cool gear without the expense & my guess is there will be plenty of gear to try, so don't spend a ton  ;D ;D ;D But if you are like me and want to use your gear only... ;D...could get pricey ;D ;D ;D

R46chevy

I have a nasty fly rod set up, 14wt 1500 grain line should be able to get deep enough. If I am on this trip I will bring it, along with a few other paychecks i mean rods and reels.

theswimmer

Quote from: Big Tim on December 04, 2014, 01:32:11 AM
LUDDITE ??? that's kind of old skool way of thinking...Smashing/breaking and not embracing modern technology  :-\

What the heck do I know I think this guy is cool ;D ;D ;D

Smashing bit of video Big Tim.
The man is one of my all time heros.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

George4741

Quote from: alantani on November 19, 2014, 10:27:42 PM

bring those spinners!  the lighter the gear you use, the more likely you will be to catch something big!!!!!!

Sorry, but I gotta bring this subject up again.   What weight line are we talking about?  That way those inexperienced anglers (for example, me ::)) will have a better idea of how big/small of a spinner to bring.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

Aiala

Being a classic (oldie) sort of gal, I plan to bring my Penn 750SS, a Mitchell 402 I am currently restoring, and possibly a Penn 704 greenie, if I can find one that isn't too far gone to fix.

It'll be Spin City... woohoo!  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

if the mitchell has a plastic spool, i'd probably take a pass on that one.  otherwise it should be fine.  you also mentioned a penn internation 12.  if you have not hotrodded that reel yet, hold off.  it might be a little large for what we will be doing.