this is an inshore trip.

Started by alantani, November 19, 2014, 10:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Quote from: alantani on January 05, 2015, 06:59:28 PM

25, 30 or 40# test will work!

Thank you Alan.  I was wondering if we should go lighter, such as 15# or 20#.  My  Penn 7500ss will be fine.
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Quote from: Aiala on January 05, 2015, 07:10:15 PM
Being a classic (oldie) sort of gal, I plan to bring my Penn 750SS, a Mitchell 402 I am currently restoring, and possibly a Penn 704 greenie, if I can find one that isn't too far gone to fix.

It'll be Spin City... woohoo!  :D

~A~

Aiala, do you know how my Mitchell 306A compares to your 402? The spool says it holds 200 yds of 22# mono.
viurem lliures o morirem

Aiala

George, I've never owned a 306A, but back in the Pleistocene I first learned to surf cast with a 306. It was a superb reel, landed many a bluefish, and even went with me to college. ;D BTW, I'll be bringing my 406!

In any case, assuming that your 'A' is essentially the same model, I see no reason why it wouldn't perform admirably on the SOA trip. It's a slightly smaller reel than a 302/402, but still plenty tough. Just make sure it's serviced, lubed, new greased drags, etc. Parts are readily available on eBay, if you need them, and you can find schematics here: http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/356

Counting the days!  ;)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

You can all just use Alan's rigs for 25-30-40 if he doesn't leave the reels in the garage again!  I have enough extra rods/reels to equip a couple of people to a good standard myself.  If you need something to fill a hole iin your lineup you can get a loaner easy enough from someone on the trip... however, if you need a spinner I can't help you.  Well, if you need a coffee grinder I can bring one but you'll have to plug it in.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on January 05, 2015, 09:31:11 PM
Well, if you need a coffee grinder I can bring one but you'll have to plug it in.

Ha! 

Thing is, I like spinners! Possibly the best fight I ever had was landing a 50lb YFT on a 750SS. Took me an hour and several circuits around the boat, but what a blast! My dream fish this trip would be a big ol' WSB like the Boss caught last summer... on a spinner, of course!   :D

~A~

MarkT

You'd be in luck.  A 50# WSB would be a lot easier than a 50# YFT.

George4741

Aiala, thank you for link to the mitchell museum site.  The 306A is basically the same as a 306.
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Aiala,
Now I see, the Mitchell 302 has a much more capable multi-drag, similar to the Penn Spinfisher series.  The Mitchell 306 has a simple drag and is basically an oversize 300.

Alan,
Is braid allowed on this trip?  If so, I would consider bringing a Penn 710/712 for my light spinning gear.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

MarkT

Braid is absolutely allowed!  Don't leave home without it... or your reels.

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on January 12, 2015, 04:41:25 PM
Is braid allowed on this trip?  If so, I would consider bringing a Penn 710/712 for my light spinning gear.

It was last year and the crew encouraged super short mono/fluro topshots.  I fished 10'-20' 25# and 30# fluorocarbon topshots most of the time.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: MarkT on January 12, 2015, 04:58:53 PM
Braid is absolutely allowed!  Don't leave home without it... or your reels.

;D ;D ;D ;D Hopefully Alan will remember the reels this year, but if we don't get 8 more on the list it won't matter. I am looking forward to using my spinner on a bigger fish than a 16# ling cod

Aiala

Quote from: Big Tim on January 13, 2015, 12:01:02 AM
I am looking forward to using my spinner...

Big Tim, me too! (Although not spooled with braid...horrors!)  :P

Hmm, maybe we could have a spinners-only side jackpot...? Put me in, Coach! 8)

~A~

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Big Tim

Aiala, on New Years eve I used my spinner for bottom fishing almost exclusively due to high winds and it was the only way to cast out far enough away from the boat to get to the bottom...Tons of fun...Penn Conflict 6000 spooled with 300yrd. 65# braid...I'm all in for the Spinner side jackpot

B.T.

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on January 13, 2015, 12:20:09 AM
plenty of time!

I know...Heck I haven't found the second 1/2 of my payment yet and I'm doin' the talking  ;D