this is an inshore trip.

Started by alantani, November 19, 2014, 10:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Quote from: Aiala on January 13, 2015, 12:14:35 AM
Big Tim, me too! (Although not spooled with braid...horrors!)  :P

Hmm, maybe we could have a spinners-only side jackpot...? Put me in, Coach! 8)

~A~

All right...what's the ante?

Aiala

Quote from: Porthos on January 13, 2015, 02:45:09 PMAll right...what's the ante?

Guess it'd depend on how many wanted in... nothing exorbitant... 10 bucks? 15? 20?  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

side pots are ok, but you'll have to weigh and keep track on your own.  remember, it's a "no tag" trip.  at cedros, the fish will be tossed into the slammer without a tag.   if you catch something unique, go ahead and throw a number on it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Just a thought Alan, you still may want to give numbers to everyone so if people want to weight their personal best fish after the trip they can. You never know when someone may catch the biggest fish of their lifetime even though it is not the largest on the boat they still may want to weight it after the trip on the digital scales at the landing. Or if you catch a monster calico you may want to know its weight even if larger fish like yellowtail, WSB or if lucky you guys run into some early BFT. Of course divide the fish like you stated but some may want to know the weight of their largest fish.

MarkT

Everyone has their number just like on a 'regular' trip. You still need to mark off your beers!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Mark did you miss this part in the bold lettering?

Quote from: alantani on January 13, 2015, 11:22:25 PM
side pots are ok, but you'll have to weigh and keep track on your own.  remember, it's a "no tag" trip.  at cedros, the fish will be tossed into the slammer without a tag.   if you catch something unique, go ahead and throw a number on it. 

MarkT

Yeah, I was on last years trip. You'll know your number and the tags are available. I never used one last year but some did.

alantani

yes, tags were available in case someone wanted to tag a fish.  gary was funny.  he came up to me, apologetically, and asked if he could take his first ever yellowtail.  hey, no problem.  2 hours later he told me that he had landed 5 more and sheepishly said, "guess i really didn't need to tag that first fish, huh.....".  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Well, my Battle 6000 showed up today.  I'll have my son spool up both it and my new fth25n2 up tomorrow with spectra. I'm figuring 50# on the Battle and 65# on the Fathom. My son is not impressed with the spinner and says I'd be better off with my Lexa 400. Both will be on the trip so we'll see!  Now I need a rod for the Battle. I told the kid to check out their inventory at the tackle store he works at in Dana Point and let me know what my options are... I don't really want to go too expensive but it has to be a solid 30# rod that will work for 40# too.

Porthos

Quote from: MarkT on January 17, 2015, 03:28:08 AM...Now I need a rod for the Battle. I told the kid to check out their inventory at the tackle store he works at in Dana Point and let me know what my options are... I don't really want to go too expensive but it has to be a solid 30# rod that will work for 40# too.

Hey Mark,

If you were to stick with Penn then there's the CARBW3050S70 (http://www.meltontackle.com/products/penn-bluewater-carnage-spinning-rods.html); $126 at Melton.

If you were open to mix-&-match, Daiwa has the STW70MHFS (http://www.meltontackle.com/products/daiwa-saltist-boat-spinning-rods.html); $85 also at Melton. I bought this one from Melton and had this rod with my Fin Nor LT100 on the 2014 charter--three YT landed. Will be bringing this setup in June.

There's also the Daiwa STJ66MHFS or STJ60HFS (http://www.meltontackle.com/products/daiwa-saltist-boat-jigging-spinning-rods.html); $90-$120. I don't have one of these but I DO have the STJ70XHFS that I got off of Amazon for my second LT100. Will be bringing this one in June as well as the 100lb spin setup...yeah, that's right...100lbs  ::) ...going with a "glass half-full" attitude on this one. :P

Keta

Quote from: Porthos on January 17, 2015, 07:52:27 PMIf you were to stick with Penn then there's the  (http://www.meltontackle.com/products/penn-bluewater-carnage-spinning-rods.html)

I picked up a CARBW3050S70 last fall and I'm impressed with the rod.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Wai, I picked up a Shimano Teramar TMS-80XXH, 8', rated 20-40 and 2-5 oz lures for the Battle 6000. Should be good for poppers and stick baits. It was $87.91 out the door. It's good to have a son working at a tackle store!

The guy working with my son said the Fathom 25NLD2 took 350 yds of 65# spectra, he hadn't loaded the Battle with 50# yet. I'll see what they did when my son gets home.

Porthos

Quote from: MarkT on January 17, 2015, 10:40:43 PM...he hadn't loaded the Battle with 50# yet. I'll see what they did when my son gets home...

Should be at least 300+ yds...

MarkT

Yeah, it's rated at 310 yds of 50# so I expect at least 300yds. They had the Battle II in stock in all sizes so it's no wonder I got a good price on the Battle.  I should've checked what I could get the II for before getting the original. OTOH, it's more than up to 40# so it doesn't really matter. Al, who works with my son, has a couple of Battles and said he had no issues with landing 30# YFT which is all I'm expecting to handle. He uses this Teramar on his boat and recommended it so that was good enough for me.

MarkT

The Fathom 25NLD2 took 350 yds of 65# spectra and the Battle 6000 took 300 yds of 50#.  I may bring my YTS with 40# mono too, only trouble is I'd have to leave a 2-speed behind.

I tied a 40# mono leader on the Battle with an Improved Albright, attached it to the Teramar, tightened up the drag, and gave a pull. Feels very nice! Those YT, and anything else out there, better be wary. I'll try it with stick baits, poppers, Megabaits and maybe some surface iron. I'm officially a member of the coffee grinder brigade!