Raplacing Drags on a Jigmaster

Started by Alto Mare, December 23, 2014, 11:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Sal

You can always use what Daron & I use the dining table. My Wife could clean it off in seconds at dinner time.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

my wife would have the dining table cleared in seconds, also.  just not in a good way.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

fIsHsTiiCkS

One time I had the dinning room table cluttered from a rebuild and it wasn't cleanable before dinner..... kind of mistake she made sure I only made once  ;) ;D

fIsHsTiiCkS

I got those spring washers in and tried them out. The star cranks down MUCH smoother. Also, to note the spring washer isn't as stiff as the belleville washer, so the ramp up to higher drag numbers is slower. Will see how they hold up in the long run

Alto Mare

Thanks for reporting back Jason, waiting to hear how you make out on the water.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mike1010

Sal, is that the stock, bronze main gear you are using with Bryan's kit?  Any concerns about how the gear will stand up?  Thanks.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mike1010 on January 17, 2015, 05:17:48 PM
Sal, is that the stock, bronze main gear you are using with Bryan's kit?  Any concerns about how the gear will stand up?  Thanks.
No Mike, those are the 4:1 stainless steel gears from Black Pearl ( Prochallenger), both pinion and main are heat treated, making that reel a true tank.
I requested those from the beginning, I never had interest on the 5:1 set for the Jigmasters. Not many shared the same interest, so Black Pearl only made a very limited run.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 17, 2015, 05:30:30 PM
Quote from: mike1010 on January 17, 2015, 05:17:48 PM
No Mike, those are the 4:1 stainless steel gears from Black Pearl ( Prochallenger), both pinion and main are heat treated, making that reel a true tank.
I requested those from the beginning, I never had interest on the 5:1 set for the Jigmasters. Not many shared the same interest, so Black Pearl only made a very limited run.

Sal
We can do another special run on this 4:1 gear set. The order will need to be paid first, and I will ship it when it is finished. What do you think?

mike1010

Alto Mare

you already know my answer, I'm always in for those. I don't know about the others though.

Bryan Young

I prefer 4:1 over 5:1.  You don't lose much in inch per retrieve based on the diameter of the spool' and the gears are stronger.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 09, 2015, 10:43:21 PM
I got those spring washers in and tried them out. The star cranks down MUCH smoother. Also, to note the spring washer isn't as stiff as the belleville washer, so the ramp up to higher drag numbers is slower. Will see how they hold up in the long run
Jason, it isn't just about the cranking of the star and yes you're right, it cranks much smoother, its about the overall smoothness of the reel.
The Delrin belleville on top when cranked down will rotate. Having a Delrin on the bottom of the gear and one on top creates a nice unit.
To me, this is the smoothest and most effective set up.

Sal

Doug

I am interested as well 2 or 3 sets   Doug

Alto Mare

I originally ordered plenty, but Alan asked if I could share my order with some that really wanted them, so, I will need more.