Raplacing Drags on a Jigmaster

Started by Alto Mare, December 23, 2014, 11:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on January 18, 2015, 04:20:52 PM
The Surfmaster uses the much smaller 5-60 main gear.

So without having the knowledge of what the gear looks like...it would be a different configuration concerning the drag system.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

The 5-60 is a much smaller gear (OD) but the "stock" drag configuration is still CF, keyed, CF, eared.....  the gear above will be CF, keyed, CF, keyed.....

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

I want at least a couple of sets of 4:1 gears for JM
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

fIsHsTiiCkS

Now let's get the pre order thread up and get those bad boys going  ;D

David Hall

mike1010

Black Pearl

I am waiting on the final cost of this kit.

I am hoping this kit will be around $75.00. It will include the 4:1 SS heat treated gear set (with the new design to accept CF drag washers, similar Fathom CF drag washers ), 5 CF drag washers and 5 SS heat treated metal washers.

Yeah, no insert will be needed for this one. This will work in Jigmaster 500 and Senator 112H.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Black Pearl on January 22, 2015, 01:07:17 AM

I am hoping this kit will be around $75.00. It will include the 4:1 SS heat treated gear set (with the new design to accept CF drag washers, similar Fathom CF drag washers ), 5 CF drag washers and 5 SS heat treated metal washers.

Yeah, no insert will be needed for this one. This will work in Jigmaster 500 and Senator 112H.

How is it you can offer the machined gear as well as the drag washers here, while for the fathom, penns patent prevented you from selling the washers too if you made the gear?

Black Pearl

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 22, 2015, 03:11:39 AM
Quote from: Black Pearl on January 22, 2015, 01:07:17 AM

How is it you can offer the machined gear as well as the drag washers here, while for the fathom, penns patent prevented you from selling the washers too if you made the gear?
We have a new design. Just have to wait. It will not be the same ear as fathom, and it will have holes on the bottom of the main gear.

Three se7ens

Im looking forward to it.  These gears will be a great product, like everything else of yours.  Keep up the good work!

mike1010

I got curious and decided to try an acetal spring washer in my Surfmaster.  Unfortunately, it seems there is not enough clearance between the top of the stack and the side plate.  With the acetal washer, there's significant pressure on the stack before even putting the star on the reel.  The reel has a couple of shims under the coarse-threaded SS gear sleeve, Delrin under the main gear, and Bryan's 5 stack.

Alto Mare

You're not doing something right and I can't point it out, unless you show a pic.
Do exactly the samre as I'm showing on page 2 and you should have no problems. I did it on my Surfmaster and have three full threads for the star to travel, that is plenty. Here are a couple of pics, the only problem with the Surfmaster, you will need to make the OD on the belleville 1/8" smaller.
My Surfmasters are working great...never better.

I just reread your comment, I thought you meant a couple of washers under the spacer sleeve, but you've mentioned a couple of shims under the gear sleeve. Usually the gear sleeve on these only needs one very thin shim.
Are you using the metal belleville? Those are not working out for me, but the Delrin belleville is.
If you don't have the Delrin belleville, try Penn's stock tension spring and see if that helps any.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mike1010

Sal, you wrote, "the only problem with the Surfmaster, you will need to make the OD on the belleville 1/8" smaller," meaning the acetal washer, right?  That seems to have been the missing step.  Looking at the right side plate, the reduced washer seats inside the inner circular recess around the spacer sleeve:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah101/mike101049/IMG_20150129_143647038_zps3wtnaolr.jpg

The bigger diameter will keep the stack and bridge from seating properly.  It is interesting that the reel still went together without a problem.

Thanks for the help.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Where are you guys getting your shims? I need some for the jigmaster and 113h

mike1010

I think mine came from McMaster, and the pointer came from Sal, but I cannot find the thread.  They come in packages of ten.  I have a couple of extra.  Send me a PM with your snail mail address and I will send them along.