Raplacing Drags on a Jigmaster

Started by Alto Mare, December 23, 2014, 11:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Some members have been asking about the new custom drag kits and custom spacers, I'll try to clear things up a bit or maybe not ;D. This is actually pretty easy, the rule of thumb is to keep the last eared washer flush with the lip on the main gear, if that eared washer is sitting a little lower, you will do just fine. You don't want it to sit out of the gear, it will definitely cause problems.

On most reels you will notice a carbon fiber and a keyed washer sitting on top of that last eared washer.
Having so many options with the thickness of the washers these days, It doesn't really matter how many washers you put in your stack.
If you configuration will start with a carbon fiber washer and a keyed metal washer as it should, you can rest assured that the last eared washer will always be an even number...no need to count. Adding the additional carbon fiber washer and keyed metal washer will give you the odd number that you would want .
To get the reel just as you would like it, adjustments should be made with the spacer, adding additional washers will usually rub with the inner side of the plate...you don't want that.
Your stack configuration could be (3) washers, (5) washer, (7) washers, or on larger reels (9) washers, anything above (9) washers on those doesn't really help much. I've noticed this  from my tests, yours could have different results.

The mentioned above will work on all star drag reels, but not on  the newer models, most of those have the Versa-Drag system and that's another subject.

Here is a pic of the latest :

In the middle we have the stock washers, on the left, Lee's custom insert and on the right, Bryan's kit.
Here is how you would want that last eared washer.

Try to get yourself a set of calipers, they're a must if you like to work on your own reels. No need to go crazy with those, mine were $12 on sale and are doing just fine.
Place the stock washers in the gear and the tension spring, now tightening them up using the calipers you should read  8.80mm.
This is the number that you want to stay close to, it's ok if you're a little off, but not by much.

Bryan did a good job with his kit, if I use that kit with the Belleville on top instead of the stock tension spring, the number is the same 8.80mm.

With that said, I'm not a fan of Belleville washers on small reel, as from the 9 to the 113. I do like to use them on larger reels though.

So, if you feel the same, just replace the last keyed washer from Bryan's kit with the stock keyed washer and a stock tension spring. You should be getting the same numbers 8.80mm.

On Lee's insert, if you use .77mm carbon fiber washers and stock 7-60 keyed washers you will also have the same.

I've tested all of the above, to me the best combination is to use Bryan's kit, but not his Belleville, I like to replace it by using a stock keyed washer on top and a stock spring washer as mentioned.

The custom spacer is very important, it will help with the gears on many reels. A couple of dollars is well spent, Alan did a good job keeping the cost down on those.

The custom 12.50mm spacer will work fine on all three mentioned above, if you measure the spacer you will notice that it's actually 12.45mm and that's what I requested...not a big deal that they're calling it 12.50mm.

I also want to point out that whatever you decide to go with, there might be some slight variation with the thickness on metal washers and carbon fiber washers, this is why it is a good idea to grab the 11.50mm custom spacer as well.

Also, on these reels, some like a little drag at start, I like no drag at start. This is when the 11.50mm custom spacer comes handy.

I hope this helped out a little.

ps I almost forgot, the stock felt washer for under the gear is .80mm, some like to replace that washer with a carbon fiber washer, I personally like to use a Delrin washer there , I've noticed that my reels are much smother using it. The Delrin washer is also .80mm.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Sal: Thanks for the explanation here,it's a big help. I'm hearing a lot here about delrin washers. How do we obtain those? And do they come in different OD and ID? 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Aiala

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 23, 2014, 05:41:30 PM
Sal: I'm hearing a lot here about Delrin washers. How do we obtain those? And do they come in different OD and ID? 

I've been meaning to ask the same thing! By any chance does Dawn offer a ready-made selection?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on December 23, 2014, 05:57:10 PM

I've been meaning to ask the same thing! By any chance does Dawn offer a ready-made selection?   :)

~A~

Yes! ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 23, 2014, 07:09:52 PMYes! ;D

Sal, terrific.... but I have searched in vain on smoothdrag.com for a list of approprite-sized Delrin washers.  ???  Can you show me the right link?  Thanks!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Thanks Sal!  I need to order those spacers, my stock one doesn't give me enough adjustability after installing Brian's kit.  Best way to order them?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 25, 2014, 04:05:03 AM
Thanks Sal!  I need to order those spacers, my stock one doesn't give me enough adjustability after installing Brian's kit.  Best way to order them?

Here you go https://squareup.com/market/pro-challenger-llc

Alto Mare

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 25, 2014, 04:05:03 AM
I like larger stars on these reels, but lately I'm finding that they're too thick. On the fine threaded gear sleeve, the 10-505 is perfect, but if you try that same OD size on the coarse thread sleeve, as the 10-49, it's just too thick.
The 10-60 star works nicely for now, it will add 1/2 turn with the star.
There are a few guys making these, it would be nice if they could make them 2.60mm in thickness and 54mm wide, for all reels, up to the 113.

Rancanfish

Yes Sal,  I found a preference for the 10-505 star, since one of my JM';s has one.  When I get more time I'll track down the gear sleeve and another 10-505.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

I use 10-66 stars and deal with the thickness by using thinner metal washers or shortened spacers.  Alan C's new all SS spacers will make this better.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on December 26, 2014, 03:24:38 AM
I use 10-66 stars and deal with the thickness by using thinner metal washers or shortened spacers.  Alan C's new all SS spacers will make this better.
The 10-66 is as thick as the 10-49., in my opinion too thick on this particular reel and here is why: installing a stack tension spring on top of the drag stack and the 12.50mm custom spacer will leave appro. 2mm for the star to travel, the 10-49 is recessed and would work on some reels, but Penn did such a good job keeping the spacer on their plate even with the bushing that the 10-49 would hit it. Some like to install tension springs on the outside of the reel, I believe that's not a good idea, additional washers will also not help.
One of the best solution is to have someone make as some stars as the 10-505, but with the coarse threads option, or just keep on using the 10-60 and be happy
It's a good idea to keep the tip of the gear sleeve close to the plate, but the custom gear sleeve could use another mm or two in length...just my opinion

Keta

Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Could always use a 98-505 ss sleeve and then the 10-505 star  ;D