Raplacing Drags on a Jigmaster

Started by Alto Mare, December 23, 2014, 11:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 17, 2015, 06:19:05 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 09, 2015, 10:43:21 PM
I got those spring washers in and tried them out. The star cranks down MUCH smoother. Also, to note the spring washer isn't as stiff as the belleville washer, so the ramp up to higher drag numbers is slower. Will see how they hold up in the long run
Jason, it isn't just about the cranking of the star and yes you're right, it cranks much smoother, its about the overall smoothness of the reel.
The Delrin belleville on top when cranked down will rotate. Having a Delrin on the bottom of the gear and one on top creates a nice unit.
To me, this is the smoothest and most effective set up.

Sal

I completely understand that! Hadn't ran drag tests yet and just was noting what I felt right after installing.

I'm doing a few drag test on various combinations now and will report what I find if interested.

Alan C. I'll take 3 more of the 4:1 gears! As they are excellent gears!!

Alto Mare

Let us know how you make out. It's always nice to see others involved. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Quote from: Black Pearl on January 17, 2015, 05:41:29 PM
We can do another special run on this 4:1 gear set. The order will need to be paid first, and I will ship it when it is finished. What do you think?

I'll take 2 sets please, let us know how to order when you decide and I'll send my details

Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Black Pearl

Ok, I am going to let the cat out of the box. Here what I am planning to do with the PENN 4:1 gear set as same as the FATHOM gear set as shown below with a little change on the ear. It was requested by  Sal about 2 years ago.   I will provide little more details when it is time.

I always make Sal waits for a long time.

vilters

I would be in for a set and would be happy to pay up front. standing by...

fIsHsTiiCkS

Alan!! You are the man! Count me in for AT LEAST 3 sets

Alto Mare

Alan, I'm glad you finally decided to go for these. Yes you make us wait a long time, but if they happen, it's not so bad.

Now we have more options, these above will be great, but don't under estimate Adam's inserts, he has a very good product.
If some  couldn't afford the gear, they could still get the inserts for a fraction of the cost, they will give the same results.
I have an idea on cost for Adam's inserts and it is a great price, but don't have a clue on what the gears above will cost. :-\

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Question on the gear pictured. Does a set of drag washers go into that gear? If they do are you concerned about all of the reliefs drilled in that area causing additional wear on the washers? Unless they are counter bored so there are no edges for the drag to catch on. Maybe I'm all wet with that question. I was just looking and didn't know the real assembly of that system.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Check here on page 6
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6517.msg56127#msg56127
The metal keyed washers don't ride over the holes. Also, you'll find it interesting that you could set your own drags to light, medium or heavy by stacking the same washers on top of each other. With that said, I would always set mine heavy and be cautious on how I fish the reel. If a nice fish blows up one of my reels, I wouldn't be too upset ;D.
I believe these gears above would have 5 washers instead of 3, but that would be up to Alan C.

mike1010

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 18, 2015, 03:23:15 PM
I believe these gears above would have 5 washers instead of 3, but that would be up to Alan C.

I was under the impression that there were still some development issues with the Black Pearl 5:1 gears machined for additional washers.  Am I mistaken?  Thanks.

Keta

Different gear.

On the above gear the CF washers turn with the gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 18, 2015, 01:04:11 PM
Alan, I'm glad you finally decided to go for these. Yes you make us wait a long time, but if they happen, it's not so bad.

Now we have more options, these above will be great, but don't under estimate Adam's inserts, he has a very good product.
If some  couldn't afford the gear, they could still get the inserts for a fraction of the cost, they will give the same results.
I have an idea on cost for Adam's inserts and it is a great price, but don't have a clue on what the gears above will cost. :-\

Sal

Sal: Will that gear and drag system work in a Surfmaster 200?

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mike1010

Quote from: Keta on January 18, 2015, 04:10:52 PM
Different gear.

Sure, and I guess you are suggesting that any issues that may exist with the 5:1 gear won't carry over.  Thanks.

Keta

The Surfmaster uses the much smaller 5-60 main gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain