What on earth IS this thing??

Started by Aiala, January 07, 2015, 11:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

For a while now I have been seeing an Unidentified Fishing Object on fleaBay called a Tiburon Quickie:

The caption reads "New Tiburon Quickie for Penn 113HLW, 30TW and 50W", so I know it has something to do with reels. I have driven myself to distraction vainly trying to figure out its purpose, and I can't find anything on Tiburon's site, either.  >:(  Being curious as a cat, I must know what it is... help, please!! I'm feeling like an idiot...  :-[

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Tightlines667

Looks like a quick connect top bar w/harness lugs for a Tiburon topless frame.  I'm sure a quick call to Tiburon would confirm usage and availability.  Interesting find.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

day0ne

It is for hanging reels overhead. The two silver things on the ends are spring loaded and clip into the harness lugs of the reel. There is another piece that holds the rod tip
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Islandgypsy

Aiala...remember these gizmos on some earlier LR trips years past. The idea is sound but they never really took off.
When you hook in to harness lugs with a kidney harness you utilize two snaps ( in the the day they were typically sister-hook type dog snaps ) . This device allowed one to hook into harness and the reel with a quick means to disconnect both harness lugs simultaneously by sliding the spring loaded bar; in other words this device was "in line" between the reel lugs and ones harness snaps.
  Not a bad idea when you are hooked up to a big fish and "uh-oh, here comes the anchor line line, gotta get out of this harness" . Hope this makes sense.....G.B.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Islandgypsy on January 08, 2015, 04:50:18 AM
Aiala...remember these gizmos on some earlier LR trips years past. The idea is sound but they never really took off.
When you hook in to harness lugs with a kidney harness you utilize two snaps ( in the the day they were typically sister-hook type dog snaps ) . This device allowed one to hook into harness and the reel with a quick means to disconnect both harness lugs simultaneously by sliding the spring loaded bar; in other words this device was "in line" between the reel lugs and ones harness snaps.
  Not a bad idea when you are hooked up to a big fish and "uh-oh, here comes the anchor line line, gotta get out of this harness" . Hope this makes sense.....G.B.

That makes perfect sense and much better then my guess.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Islandgypsy

I might add it was " reel specific" and available in different sizes depending on the internal dimension between the lugs.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Aiala on January 07, 2015, 11:27:18 PMFor a while now I have been seeing an Unidentified Fishing Object on fleaBay called a Tiburon Quickie:

Aiala,

I may be old, but I still remember what a "QUICKIE" is . . . LOL ! ! !

Seriously, that device allows a store rod to be mounted overhead, via the harness lugs, with a quick-release feature, when the rod is needed.

Tight Lines !!!

TechTeach

It's not a rod hanger it's to quickly disconnect from a harness as stated before.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

ez2cdave

Quote from: TechTeach on March 25, 2015, 08:46:47 PM
It's not a rod hanger it's to quickly disconnect from a harness as stated before.

OK . . . No problem !