113h gear insert and drag washers

Started by Three se7ens, January 09, 2015, 02:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Here's my take on the a drop in drag kit for the 113h.  Same idea as the hex insert, but the keyed design allows the use of thinner carbon fiber drag washers without rounding off th corners under high drag.  I managed to fit 5 1mm carbon washers and 5 .75mm metal keyed washers in the drag stack, and I could fit one more of each with a little tweaking. 

I cut 2 samples, one for myself, and one to send to Sal.  I'm curious how well it performs in use, and I'll wait until they are tested to even consider production.  I am really impressed with how well the waterjet cut these, there is no taper whatsoever in the 3/8" thick stainless the insert was cut from, and no fitting was required of any of the parts. 

Just wanted to share this with everyone, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Black Pearl

Hi,

I want to let you know that you are cutting this as same as the PENN Versa gear. When I was working on the Fathom gear set, and I contacted PENN. The PENN (Pure fishing) management person told me that it is for me to cut the gear, but I was not allowed to cut the Versa drag washers. That was what PENN's lawyer told him because they owns the patent. Therefore, I will be very careful about this one.

Good luck on this one. You should check with them first.

Thanks,
--Alan

RowdyW

If we buy the washers from Penn or make our own, does that get around the patent?

Black Pearl

Quote from: RowdyW on January 09, 2015, 03:16:59 AM
If we buy the washers from Penn or make our own, does that get around the patent?
I don't think Penn with have the drag washer on this size 113H versa gear set. If you make your own, it will be fine as long as no profit is made.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Black Pearl on January 09, 2015, 03:00:51 AM
Hi,

I want to let you know that you are cutting this as same as the PENN Versa gear. When I was working on the Fathom gear set, and I contacted PENN. The PENN (Pure fishing) management person told me that it is for me to cut the gear, but I was not allowed to cut the Versa drag washers. That was what PENN's lawyer told him because they owns the patent. Therefore, I will be very careful about this one.

Thanks,
--Alan

Thanks. Do you know the patent number?  I'd like to read it.  Also, you were making a replacement part that could accept original penn washers, which is far different than what I'm doing here.  Your carbon washers would be interchangeable with penn parts, so I could understand the patent there. 

Technically, you don't have to make a profit to be liable for patent infringement.  But the likelihood of you being sued is much smaller, especially if the patent holder has little to gain from an expensive litigation.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 09, 2015, 03:31:32 AM
Hi,

Thanks,
--Alan

Thanks. Do you know the patent number?  I'd like to read it.

Technically, you don't have to make a profit to be liable for patent infringement.  But the likelihood of you being sued is much smaller, especially if the patent holder has little to gain from an expensive litigation.

I don't have it. If you believe that it is just a small thing for them, then you should go for it.

I just don't like to have any problem with any company out there. That was why I went to check with them first and show my respect. That is just me.

Anyway, good luck!
Alan

Alto Mare

Wow! That looks amazing. If I were you, I wouldn't be too worried about Penn, those are not the same. If anything, Penn might copy from you, square ear tabs are better than round.
I had no idea you could do something like this, very nice. What did I do to deserve the honor of a set?... I can't wait to get my hands on them.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

I just remembered that on page #3 here I had a similar idea and Doc didn't like it, but I never asked why.  Maybe he was talking about soldering the parts together :-\
This one has 6 tabs instead of 12, but same idea

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6517.msg55599#msg55599
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

borchcl

Lovely! Can't wait to results of Sal's tests.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Could always just make these and give them out, than no worries about any issues with the patent  ;) ;D

Three se7ens

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 09, 2015, 04:38:08 AM
Could always just make these and give them out, than no worries about any issues with the patent  ;) ;D

Lol, profit is not a requirement for patent litigation though.

Bryan Young

To make something for your personal use there usually are no issues.  Making them and distributing them are different issues that can arise.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 09, 2015, 04:47:29 AM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 09, 2015, 04:38:08 AM

Lol, profit is not a requirement for patent litigation though.

I was just kidding  ;D Great work and would love to have a set!

Robert Janssen

Well done. Really nice.

It is difficult for me to gauge size from the pics, but it may be of interest to try to minimize the insert's impact on the keyed washers maximum diameter. IE reduce the wall thickness / internal spline tooth height as much as possible, but i suppose you know that already. Really nice and clean anyway.

Quote from: Alto Mare
I just remembered that on page #3 here I had a similar idea and Doc didn't like it, but I never asked why.  Maybe he was talking about soldering the parts together...

Yes, it was something I did once, installing six pins directly to the inside of the gear, by soldering them? Or did i screw them through the bottom of the gear? I forget now, but it wasn't worth the effort. Too much work. I thought that was what you meant.

Quote from: Black Pearl on January 09, 2015, 03:35:43 AM
Quote from: Three se7ens on January 09, 2015, 03:31:32 AM
Hi,

Thanks,
--Alan

Thanks. Do you know the patent number?  I'd like to read it.

Technically, you don't have to make a profit to be liable for patent infringement.  But the likelihood of you being sued is much smaller, especially if the patent holder has little to gain from an expensive litigation.

I don't have it. If you believe that it is just a small thing for them, then you should go for it.

I just don't like to have any problem with any company out there. That was why I went to check with them first and show my respect. That is just me.

Anyway, good luck!
Alan

The patent bit was earlier discussed here

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6774.msg58359#msg58359

and here  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7196.msg61394#msg61394

but I don't know why it is being discussed now, since the insert design is nothing like Penn's anyway.