Jigmaster 506HS Upgraded and Tanked!

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, February 15, 2015, 06:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 15, 2015, 09:37:50 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 15, 2015, 08:36:42 PM
Good Work Jason! I just did a 506 last night and yours puts mine to shame. :'(
Awesome build Buddy! ;D

I saw you build and solid work! I really like these reels!
I do too! Sal and Bry. Its not about us. Its about all that watch us! ;)
I am learning that and try to give the best advice I can. ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Whew, I was afraid that my kits were not fitting or something.  I'm confident you got it figured out and at least I wanted to make sure the orientation was correct first because it looked like the last washer was an eared washer from my review of the pics.  I never want a dissatisfied buyer, and if it's not working I want to understand why.  There are so many variables so I systematically start thinking...where....why...what...resolved...

That is one nice looking reel for sure and will kill those Yellows and white sea bass.  Let me know how it turns out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broschro

I am using Bryan's kit and black pearls 4:8.1 gears with the material that Sal uses under the main gear and on top. I use Bryan's heavy bevel on top because I like my drag to start up a little faster.the real is super smooth pulling 22 pounds of drag straight from the reel.I love my greased carbon fiber drag washers in the stack but will never go back to them  underneath the main gear.  much smoother with the new material and that's what you want your drag to be.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 16, 2015, 09:31:21 AM
Whew, I was afraid that my kits were not fitting or something.  I'm confident you got it figured out and at least I wanted to make sure the orientation was correct first because it looked like the last washer was an eared washer from my review of the pics.  I never want a dissatisfied buyer, and if it's not working I want to understand why.  There are so many variables so I systematically start thinking...where....why...what...resolved...

That is one nice looking reel for sure and will kill those Yellows and white sea bass.  Let me know how it turns out.

All working and did a rolling test with the reel. Very smooth!

Quote from: broschro on February 17, 2015, 01:08:42 AM
I am using Bryan's kit and black pearls 4:8.1 gears with the material that Sal uses under the main gear and on top. I use Bryan's heavy bevel on top because I like my drag to start up a little faster.the real is super smooth pulling 22 pounds of drag straight from the reel.I love my greased carbon fiber drag washers in the stack but will never go back to them  underneath the main gear.  much smoother with the new material and that's what you want your drag to be.

Great gears right! What size spacer are you using? I really like This reel now and with a nice braid backing can really take on a lot of line. Excited to test it out on some yellows. We still have a few over here.

broschro

not sure which one I'm using. I will take it out tomorrow and put the calipers on it. loving this little reel.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: broschro on February 17, 2015, 01:25:15 AM
not sure which one I'm using. I will take it out tomorrow and put the calipers on it. loving this little reel.

Just asking because seems we have the same setup and I had to run the 10.5mm spacer and then shave it down to 9.5 mm to get it to fit right and ramp up the drag correctly.

Bryan Young

it's funny how the same and different each reel is.  On my reel, I had to ground down 2 mm or so while others fit just fine.  I'm not absolutely sure why there is a difference, but it may be in the manufacturing tolerances, which could be just fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Since we're making new custom gear sleeves, we should add 2mm in length for these small reels, that would cure many problems.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 17, 2015, 01:37:03 AM
Since we're making new custom gear sleeves, we should add 2mm in length for these small reels, that would cure many problems.

That would be great!! I would like the gear sleeves to really resemble the newell gear sleeves as much as possible.

Black Pearl

I am using Bryan's kit and black pearls 4:8.1 gears with the material that Sal uses under the main gear and on top. I use Bryan's heavy bevel on top because I like my drag to start up a little faster.the real is super smooth pulling 22 pounds of drag straight from the reel.I love my greased carbon fiber drag washers in the stack but will never go back to them  underneath the main gear.  much smoother with the new material and that's what you want your drag to be.
I believe that that gear set is 4:1 SS. I don't think that you bought the 4.8:1 Newell gear set.

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 17, 2015, 12:10:43 PM

That would be great!! I would like the gear sleeves to really resemble the newell gear sleeves as much as possible.
My reason is more directed towards  the star travel.  The best star reel I have, as for adjusting the drags, is my 320. The star on that reel is about 1/8" further out than most. Just adding 2mm in length on the Jigmaster's gear sleeve would do wonders,  adding a couple of extra teeth on the ratchet would also help. Dogs should always engage at the same time, having intermitted dogs doesn't help at all.  When the dog fails, before the second dog gets a chance on the intermitted dogs, something else on the reel will go. I had a discussion about this with Dave (Jerulometer), that man knows what he's talking about. I wish I was a machinist :'(
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 17, 2015, 01:41:30 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 17, 2015, 12:10:43 PM

My reason is more directed towards  the star travel.  The best star reel I have, as for adjusting the drags, is my 320. The star on that reel is about 1/8" further out than most. Just adding 2mm in length on the Jigmaster's gear sleeve would do wonders,  adding a couple of extra teeth on the ratchet would also help. Dogs should always engage at the same time, having intermitted dogs doesn't help at all.  When the dog fails, before the second dog gets a chance on the intermitted dogs, something else on the reel will go. I had a discussion about this with Dave (Jerulometer), that man knows what he's talking about. I wish I was a machinist :'(

I agree a little tweeking would go a long way! As for adding extra teeth, that is something I have wanted for a while. Getting rid of the back play would be a nice refinement.

Bryan Young

Jamie, That is one killer reel.

Jason, you are too funny.

With all of you putting together killer reels, I ought to put one together myself.

broschro

Quote from: Black Pearl on February 17, 2015, 12:34:13 PM
I believe that that gear set is 4:1 SS. I don't think that you bought the 4.8:1 Newell gear set.
i got the 5:1 fIsHsTiiCkS said that his are also 5:1 but he came up with 4:8:1

Bryan Young

Are you and Alan Chiu making custom gear sleeves?