Main Menu

Quick 220n

Started by Billfoote, August 26, 2015, 01:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billfoote

I have the subject reel and can not figure how the spindle attaches to the spindle rod.  I see the rod has a pin which goes into the slot of the screw but I do not see how this keeps it attached to the spindle rod?  If and when I figure out how to post pictures I will but in the meantime if someone can explain I'd appreciate it.

foakes

Hi Bill, and Welcome --

Just need to know what part you are referring to as the spindle -- and which part you refer to as the spindle rod.

If it is the spool axle -- is it where the spool spindle sleeve attaches?

Or if the back inside of the spool axle -- is it where it attaches to the oscillating arm block?

We can probably help with just a little clarification -- or I can post a schematic for you to look at and show us.

Spool and spindle just click in place -- rear oscillating arm and block are held in place with a screw and a pin.

Good reels.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Billfoote

Thanks Fred for the reply.  I can see you are the authority on dam reels. I am unable to post pictures on Alan's site but can be reached via my email which is bill_foote@comcast.net.

foakes

Send me the pics via PM --

Then I will post for everyone to see and learn --

More useful for everyone to see until you learn to post pics.

No big deal.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Billfoote

Rancanfish

Private message.  Click on Fred's user name.

Fred will solve it for sure.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Here is what Bill has --

Here is what he should have.  The spool axle has (2) little copper or sometimes brass "ears" that are spring loaded.  The complete spool assembly just snaps on and off with the push button on top of the drag knob.  Drag settings stay pre-set that way. 

Only axles I know of with a threaded end are the Super 270, the 550, and the 550N.  Could be he has some special aftermarket adapter, the wrong axle, or someone before him just got parts mixed with another reel brand -- who knows?  Anyway, this is the only right way to fix the issue.

Bill, if you decide to pursue this, and need parts -- just let me know. Likely have what you need, and glad to help out.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Billfoote

Fred:

I think my problem is the drag knob which is the item listed as number 2 below.   When I depress the button when assembled it does not do anything.... I also need to pull it out in order to depress it again.

Also, in my comments on the drawing, I used spindle and should have said spool....

My thinking is that the drag knob has a groove in which the pin on the spool axle needs to set in and that being pinched in the groove was what was holding the spool to the spool axle.

What is the process to get parts from you or even maybe send you the reel and have you repair?

foakes

Hi Bill --

Your theory is sound -- but your problem is not as big as you might imagine.

Your reel just needs a spool axle that is complete...

On yours, the (2) little "tinny" tabs on the top side are missing.  They sometimes just end up in the brass brake spindle -- when improperly or impatiently removing the push button spool assembly.  They are what holds the spool brake spindle in place.  The pin that goes crosswise through the axle, is there to keep the spool in proper orientation -- and the spindle assembly has grooves to capture the pin -- so the spool will not rotate -- it will stay fixed.

The pic I posted for you previously shows a 220 axle -- yours is the 220N (new style).  Like most manufacturing "progress" -- over the years of reel evolution -- manufacturers have found ways to allow the consumer to buy more parts than needed -- just to repair an obviously weak and common issue.

I can go into an hour of explanation about why a DAM Quick 220 is a fantastically engineered lifetime reel -- and while the 220N is very good -- there are a few weak points that to me -- reveal serious shortcomings in real time usage on the water. 

But I do not want to bore folks.

I can fix it for you -- but there is really no need.  You are obviously perfectly capable of doing this simple fix.

Three ways to go --

-- I will take an axle out of a reel and send it to you for $20, shipped.

-- You can find a used 220N at a yard sale or ebay -- maybe a parts reel -- rob the best parts to make a complete reel.

-- Or send it to me, and I will fix it up.

I apologize for the price on the part -- but these are not readily available in the "N" series -- and I will need to search for another one.  I do have parts for the 220 series, and could probably give one to you at no charge.

One more thing -- NEVER mix a 220 spool with a 220N reel.  If a 220 spool is installed on a 220N -- the error is unrecoverable without cutting and ruining rare parts (don't ask me how I know).  Unless you never want to remove the spool again -- you shouldn't do this.  It will spoil your day.

Let me know what you prefer to do.

We will get this handled -- and the reel back in service.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Protourist

You say to never use a 220 spool on a 220n. Is the reverse true. I just bought a 220 and later found it had a cracked spool. I just bought a spool and now see that it's a 220n. I'm guessing that they are not compatible?

foakes

Right,

The 220N spool is slightly too big anyway -- plus the spindles will not match up with the axles.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

alantani

hey, while we're at it, does anyone have a spare 220N spool?  the one i have here is split in half. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

On the way, Alan --

Assume the drag knob, spindle, drags and ratchet are still usable?

Or, I can send the complere assembly.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

alantani

fred, thanks!  everything else is fine.  you're a life saver!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Message received, Alan --

Will go out tomorrow or Friday.

Do not ask about payment -- it doesn't work that way.

Be careful when power winding mono on these -- they will bust if wound too aggressively.

My method is to do it slowly with just medium back pressure -- or it is easy enough to wind on a couple hundred yards of 6 or 8 pound manually with a rod.

I will include a nylon spool arbor to reduce the breakage chances -- and it uses a little less line.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.