Sharpening Knives -- Best so Far

Started by foakes, August 31, 2015, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Like most outdoor folks -- we all have more than a few knives.

A dull knife is useless as well as dangerous.

Having used most everything from ceramic rods, to steel, to deburrers, to 3-stage stones, special honing oil, and many more -- this system is one to consider -- cheap, effective, easy.

While true that most professional knife makers use a belt system -- I cannot justify the expense for my use.

But this is probably the best I have run across so far -- it is accurate, quick, safe, efficient --

Works on any type of knife ranging from folders, fixed, kitchen, skinners, filleters, large and small.

It is just dead-simple -- without breaking the bank.

The belts are the key -- the finer the grit, the sharper the edge.

This guy knows how to explain things clearly, as well as to the point -- no drama, just results.

He must be the Alan Tani of knives...

Also, I know Daron and others have posted a few pics of their knives -- but how about just posting (1) pic of your favorite or most used knife.  This can be a carry knife, sheath knife, fillet knife, skinner, pocket knife, kitchen knife, or?  Doesn't matter of it is old, broken, worn, pristine, inexpensive, or? -- just as long as it is your favorite, and why you like it so well.

Sentimental, memories, utility, practical, quality, etc.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Fred: That is a great post for a very reasonable price belt sander, I couldn't see where he was able to get the extra leather belt and dressing. Do you know where?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Just checked Harbor Freight and the sander is 44.99 so we need a labor day sale or something. Looked for extra belts and I did not see any fine grit available so they must come from someone else.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 31, 2015, 07:08:21 PM
Just checked Harbor Freight and the sander is 44.99 so we need a labor day sale or something. Looked for extra belts and I did not see any fine grit available so they must come from someone else.

I did the same search earlier and could only find 120 grit and 80 grit 1X30" belts. In the video the guy said he had it at the bottom of the video, I couldn't see it. That is why I was asking Fred if he knew.
By the way that $44.99 price is the sale price, it's normally $59.99.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

Well found the leather belt and abrasive stick on Amazon for $20+ not cheep. But I think they are worth the investment.

Joe

Shark Hunter

Pretty Neat Fred!
I need a little sander like that for reel parts anyway. ;D
On my favorite knives. I use a steel.
My Dad was a chef for 17 years. I bought him a nice set of Henckels . I have one of them.
Life is Good!

foakes

Shop around a little --

Got mine from edgemasters -- quality company for knifemaker supplies -- up to 3000 grit.

Reasonable, quality products -- generally free shopping.

http://www.theedgemasters.com/SharpeningSuppliesforSale.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9o-vBRCO0OLi2PfPkI8BEiQA8pdF4DvXmWLrluNLrfXJyyeBpVvznT9LXbQceyXaG9CwEicaAjPQ8P8HAQ

Amazon has many also --

You can generally get a 20% off coupon at Harbor Freight.

This isn't for your collector blades -- this is for the ones you count on every day -- whether in your pocket, boat, or on your belt.

I use an old Delta that I had setting around -- then I put a variable foot control on it off of an old Line Winder.

A leather belt lasts nearly forever if treated well with rouge and worked with a lubricant to keep it supple.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

I would not use a belt sander on my expensive kitchen knives.  They generate too much heat.  I have an electric whetstone that has a water reservoir which keeps the stone wet while sharpening.  I suppose you could use a belt sander but lightly and slowly.  Touch the blade to make sure it does not get to hot.  Getting the knife too hot can cause heat stains and loss of tempering.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

You are right about the temperature and speed, Dominick.

However, possibly 95% of the experienced professional knifemakers -- use a variable speed belt sander exclusivley.  These guys win awards against the best of the best, and make a fine living doing so -- with generally a 6 to 12 month back log on custom orders.

That is why it is good to go down to the Second Hand store -- and get a basketful of knives to practice on.

Salvation Army or the Veterans Thrift store generally, has them for $1.00.  50% off on Tuesday.

Funny thing is, you can get some really nice knives this way -- and some may become your go to knives -- if you have a sharp eye for steel and quality.  One can tell the quality of the steel by the ringing sound it makes when tweaked by your fingernail.  If it sounds deep like a bell -- it is a good one.

The average person does not know how to sharpen a knife --

On my Japanese cutlery, or even on my SS, Damascus, and Mastadon Ivory custom folders -- I use the 2000 grit, comtrolled lower speeds, and a light touch for an intuitive feel.  Then touch up occasionally with the leather.  Just like stropping a shaving razor.

Hard to beat a good ole Case knife, or a Marble's -- for the steel quality, though.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Keta

In have one that size and one that uses a 6" wide belt but I prefer to sharpen my knives with stones.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

If you start with light pressure as the guy stated in the video and use a 220 or 300 grit belt there should be no problem, but he also stated that his method is not meant for collector grade knives. This is something that everyone has there own preference for doing that task. If you took notice he also used a leather belt with a compound to finish the blade. This is what professional knife sharpeners have done for years. I like using a stone for finishing my knives also, but for bringing a good edge to a really dull knife, the belt sander is a grate tool....IN THE RIGHT HANDS. I like the idea of that tool for many other reasons as well as knife sharpening. But I'm glad Fred posted the information because I plan on picking one up tomorrow from harbor freight for $45.00.

Joe 

swill88

Belt sanders are fast... for production or what we use in the field.
For quality... Japanese whetstones... jmo

TomT

I tried a belt sander and it wasn't a good match for me.  I use wetstones and steels.  Has little to do with this thread, but my grandmother was a barber in the 30's & 40's.   She had a straight-edge razor for trimming and shaving.  For honing she used a deer antler.  I still have her razor and antler in the same sock she stored it in.
another aside is that in the 90's I used to run into a knife sharpener who sharpened most of the knives for the local restaurants. He used a belt sander and I would say all of his knives were sharper than my hunting and filet knives.  That is what encouraged me to get a belt sander.  I just didn't have the touch for the belt sander. ::)
TomT

Reel 224

Tom: For years I shaved with a straight razor that belonged to my father, I used an India stone...which is very fine and a leather strop which had a rosin side and a leather side to finish the blade. Best shave I ever had, I just got lazy and started to use a new stile razor about 15 years ago. It's true that a stone will do a much finer job on a blade with lots of time and effort. I had a German steel hunting knife that I had honed to a razors edge that blade is still as sharp today as it was 45 years ago. My son has that knife today and still uses it for skinning and dressing deer.

I like the idea of the belt sander here because it is multi purposed and can do a decent job on a blade with care as well as shape small parts.

Joe