trolling with spin reels

Started by basto, October 04, 2015, 10:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys and Gals

I just got back from a reef charter which was mainly made up of guys half my age. I noticed a distinct preference for big spin reels for bottom fishing,  trolling, and throwing lures.
One morning one of the young guys nearly lost all the line off his spinner while trolling, as nobody was watching it and the line out clicker for the drag release was not heard over the boat`s engine noise.

Maybe a strike alarm for trolling will appear on big spinners in the future.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

Many of the Kayak guys around here do troll with spinning reels. They are slow trolling for King Mackerel and Mahi. I've never seen a boat use only spinning reels. Maybe now he will change!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Aiala

Quote from: basto on October 04, 2015, 10:07:32 PM
I just got back from a reef charter which was mainly made up of guys half my age. I noticed a distinct preference for big spin reels for bottom fishing,  trolling, and throwing lures.

Perhaps these fine young fellows can't cast a conventional without ending up like this:

:)  :D   ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

Aiala several years ago (I think it was Wallace) posted a tip on this site on how to easily unravel professional overrides like your photo.  I might remember who posted it but this old brain does not remember exactly how it was done.  So whoever posted that tip I would hope he would re-post that tip.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Wolli

my friend tried this year for the first time trolling with his brand new STL30000 and had big success.
But he watched the whole time the rod and was not sleeping...
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Tightlines667

Wow!

A Black Marlin on spinning gear is quite the test of man and machine.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

basto

Quote from: Wolli on October 04, 2015, 11:44:05 PM
my friend tried this year for the first time trolling with his brand new STL30000 and had big success.
But he watched the whole time the rod and was not sleeping...

Yes, these young guys caught some nice fish also with their big spinners trolling.
I invited them to pull in my 113h with a fish on, but I don`t think they were converted.
As long as we are all happy, use what you feel comfortable with.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rancanfish

I thought trolling with a spinner was a no-no?

Line twist being the issue.  True?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.