Reel protection - Jetski fishing

Started by Whiteman, October 09, 2015, 05:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteman

I'm about to start fishing from my Jetski. This is a very wet mode of transport!

Anyone have an idea or a quality product to keep reels dry when underway?

Rancanfish

I would think a dry-bag.  I have 3-4 different sizes.  Easy to bungee down.

Sounds like fun.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Steve-O

I kayak fish....so it's a waaaaay slower mode of transport, but don't use covers and will get my reels wet, slimy from fish, gooped up with bait, whatever and then rinse and wipe them down after the session.

I realize saltwater is going to get on your reels but isn't that part of it? Even on a dry boat the line is bringing saltwater right up on to the spool.  The jetski or rather waverunner style PWC's in videos I've watched have rocket launcher racks on them to carry the rods out and back.

I think the fresh water rinse and dry off with regular cleaning is the key.

or you could get these?

handi2

The Penn Rod and Reel cleaner is a good product to spray them with. It will help all the water and salt from sticking to the reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

I am no expert on reel covers. I usually just wrap mine in a t-shirt to keep them from getting scratched while in the back of my truck with a rod cover. Its hard to get one on a spooled 14/0.
Erik Powell who has disappeared from here said that the penn covers were neoprene which traps moisture.
Granted he lives in Fiji where the humidity is like a Jungle. I just remember his words on the topic.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

I use neoprene covers on all my reels for travel, to keep them from getting scratched/boat rash.  But I can see how they would trap moisture, and at the end of the trip, I wash the covers separately from the reels, and store the reels without covers. 

TomT

Daron,
I thought I remembered someone using Crown Royal for reel covers??  ??? ;) ;D
TomT

Shark Hunter

Yes,
But they don't make a big enough one for a 14/0.
They are just for storage. Once mounted on a rod, they won't fit.
I need to sew two together for my big reels.
Life is Good!

mandaragat

Not REEL PROTECTION but rather PROTECTED REELS like the waterproof egg beaters? They can even be submerged in shallow waters. Consider Spheros and Gosa as a start, then, the Torque, VS, and Twinpower at mid price and for top dollar, Stellas and Saltigas. Make sure they are tethered especially the last 2 reels or you will have a bad memory that will linger forever.

Shark Hunter

I remembered I had one of these my Brother bought for me on our last trip. It is a 12/0 version.
It fits OK, but I don't think it would provide much water protection. Its pretty open on the bottom and the lug holes on top will let water in too. It will make a good scratch cover.
Life is Good!

alantani

honestly, a 1 gallon ziplock with a small hole in the top!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

or, better yet, use a reel that does not need protection!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Whiteman on October 09, 2015, 05:39:33 AM
I'm about to start fishing from my Jetski. This is a very wet mode of transport!

Anyone have an idea or a quality product to keep reels dry when underway?

For conventional reels lots of marine grease.

For spinning reels, lots of marine grease.

:D

(but I think the neoprene covers would be nice when running back to the barn etc.)

Whiteman

Some very useful advice - thanks all. My local tackle shop told me not to use neoprene covers because of the trapped moisture.

I think I'll just up the maintenance. I'm told the Penn spin reels (gold ones - can't remember the names) have good water resistance. And when you own a boat (or jet ski), upgrading reels each season is still a relatively cheap cost!

Shark Hunter

My old penn reels get the pampering. I do a complete teardown and regrease after every trip. My trips are only twice a year, but it is two weeks at a time and I put too much into them to neglect any issues of the salt. I even respool the line onto another reel and wax the spool. Then spool it back on by hand.
It is a small price to pay to keep them it perfect condition.
These covers are just transporters for me. I fish from the beach. Kayak my baits out and come back.
The covers will be off the reels before I take them there.
I also did find that they make these for a 14/0. No more T-shirts.
Life is Good!