Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Oh my Ted, gorgeous!

Oh my Fred, you are the man.  I'm going to take a drive after the first and just make reels from dust at your shop!  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

anglingarchitect

Quote from: Max Doubt on December 23, 2015, 02:00:53 AM
Wow Fred, that's a heck of a lot of "leverage".....you win !!

Here is another Cortez masterpiece......Aluminum frames are the cats meow, but sexy comes in many different shapes and forms.

She's a beauty. 

Alto Mare

You guys are doing an excellent job with these parts, our Jigmasters here are unmatched.
We should all be proud and especially the guys than make us the parts, nice team work..

Ted, that red one with posts looks awesome, you mind showing me the other side of the head plate? I like to see something.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Sure Sal, here you go.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Thanks Ted.
The pic is too dark and at a wrong angle, doesn't the gear show from the outside? It does on mine.
That would look awesome on a shelf, but not so good to fish with.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

I never noticed. .... but perhaps a wad of grease should stop most water from entering.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 23, 2015, 05:43:47 AM
Thanks Ted.
The pic is too dark and at a wrong angle, doesn't the gear show from the outside? It does on mine.
That would look awesome on a shelf, but not so good to fish with.

Sal

This is the one I've been salmon fishing with and I love how smooth it is.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Max Doubt on December 23, 2015, 06:01:49 AM
I never noticed. .... but perhaps a wad of grease should stop most water from entering.
Anything can be taking cared of, I had a custom gear cover plate made on mine.
This is only needed if you're using a stock stand from Penn, not needed with a tiburon or accurate frame:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15144.msg156698#msg156698

Sal

Billyhill

Can these be made to work on a 506hs???

Rancanfish

billyhill, the spool shaft is a different size.

However, these come with the choice of ball bearings or brass bushings for a 501. A 506 would have bearings and a higher gear ratio.  But you could then upgrade these with a Black Pearl 5-1 gear set and have nearly the same reel.

Hope that helped.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

sdlehr

Here's my contribution to the photo show. I'm working on getting a red spool, and I'll upgrade the handle, just can't do it all at once. I used the innards from my Dad's Jigmaster that I inherited. He bought it in the 70's and I haven't done anything with it until now. Turns out it had a steel (maybe SS) bridge plate, main gear, pinion, eccentric and eccentric jack. The pinion yolk is the only brass in the reel. Interesting that these SS parts are over 40 years old. People have been hot-rodding Jigmasters for a long time....I was surprised when I got inside - I hadn't been there in over 6 months, and at that time I didn't know what I was looking at.  I've come a long way. I told Tom the plates were "slicker than snot", amazing the tight tolerances. Sal, I didn't notice the main gear showing before I got the Tiburon frame from Randy (it was on my doorstep when I got home from work this evening.) I'm not saying it wasn't exposed, I just didn't notice with the standard foot.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

foakes

Great work, Sid & Joe --

One thing to remember --

You are assembling your own custom reels of the highest quality components -- you are doing what few folks in the world could ever do -- and you have progressed a long way in such a short time.

Do not take your skill and these products for granted --

They are unique --

We have extraordinary members and resources here on the Alan Tani site -- and the benefits are inumerable.

That is what this site is really about...

You are both ready for graduation --

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Sid, you can get a nice red spool for your reel for around $20, but the spool on there looks just fine

Joe, that's a dandy, it's like Raquel Welch and a Sherman tank rolled up into one.

I been scratching my head trying to find a color combo I liked for the black plates and while getting ready to preparing Christmas dinner I finally settled on the black/red combo, and I kinda like it. Tom is a genius !! :o :o

P.S. I'm not ready for graduation yet, all my cortez reels are still stock inside.....but that will soon change thanks to Alan C, Alan T, and Bryan...and Sal for being our guinea pig  ;) ;)