Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 19, 2015, 10:23:26 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on December 19, 2015, 10:15:11 PM
I second that emotion!  ;D
Rudy, most are getting tired watching the same guys screw up these reels, step up to the plate, it would be nice seeing you or Ted do one ;)

Sal, I built my 4 a week ago when they arrived. You are the tutorial master.......one more won't hurt  ;) ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

jigmaster501

I put my silver plates together with a red accurate 501 frame.

I have it done up right with a double dog stainless bridge, AT sleeve, old school steel main, a large power handle and braid.

This will be a blackfish reel. The tolerances are so tight that the braid doesn't look like it will ever go in.

The thicker walled spacer tube for the drags doesn't fit the frame so I just went with a regular one that I had.

I greased it up nice inside and went with the bearings. I might just do the bushings but we will see.

I want to do a Delaware/VA blackfish trip soon when they start getting the big ones.

This will be a beast of a reel.

This also could be a deepwater seabass reel too.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 19, 2015, 10:51:53 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on December 19, 2015, 10:34:21 PM
Sal, I don't have my plates yet, no camera, & wouldn't know how to post it if I did.  :-\  I have the vino though.
I'll come over and tape you. :)
RowdyW, I'm just up the street. I could come over and tape you before or after we hit the pier.... it would save Sal the trip down.... not that he isn't welcome, but it's Christmas week and it's already crowded enough down here! They're back!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 20, 2015, 01:50:57 PM
I started to place my parts for the build and I found that the custom spacer from Pro Challenger is to large in diameter to fit the new plate. The opening is 13.21 mm and the spacer is 13.40 mm. Do I have to go with the standard spacer?

Joe
Yeah, that's a shame...so darn close. We should have told Tom to enlarge the opening a hear prior to anodizing.
Joe, don't mess with the plate itself, you could sand the outer side of the spacer, I've done it a few times. Of course the Chrome will come off and expose the brass, but adding a little grease there should keep it happy.
The other option would be to keep it stock.
On my own reels, I would definitely sand the custom sleeve to get a snug fit.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

I am new at this and not quite up to speed on all the parts. I want to use the Tiburon 501 frame. which spool do i need to get. Who has the stainless gear sleeves. Also will the 5.1 gear set fit.

Rancanfish

Quote from: mikeysm on December 20, 2015, 02:09:49 PM
I am new at this and not quite up to speed on all the parts. I want to use the Tiburon 501 frame. which spool do i need to get. Who has the stainless gear sleeves. Also will the 5.1 gear set fit.

Mike, a standard 501 spool will work, or you can buy Tiburons version.  The gear sleeves you can get from MysticParts.com or Smoothdrag.com.   As far as gears, I just use the older steel gears. I have no need for 5-1, but think those are available here if you do a search.  Have fun.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Joe, this isn't for you, I know you must have some good tools. This is for the guys like me that need to do it by hand.
Here is how I do it:

a little tape on a bit to help hold the custom spacer sleeve
I'll use 400/500 grit at start and finish with 100/1200 wet&dry sandpaper

I place the sandpaper on a flat surface and let the dremel spin at medium speed, don't try to hold it in your hands it gets very hot

here is the sanded custom sleeve

and a perfect fit

don't worry about the brass showing, a little grease there is all that its needed.
Penn spacers used to be bass, not chromed.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

If each person only got (1) set of plates that's like over 30 reels out there with new plates.  Let's see some finished products!  Show us your new plates installed! 
><)))">

mikeysm

Quote from: Rancanfish on December 20, 2015, 03:15:11 PM

Mike, a standard 501 spool will work, or you can buy Tiburons version.  The gear sleeves you can get from MysticParts.com or Smoothdrag.com.   As far as gears, I just use the older steel gears. I have no need for 5-1, but think those are available here if you do a search.  Have fun.

I see that the plates come with bearings and bushings as a choice. I also know that the spool shafts are different sizes. My question is which spool do I use for the bearings with the 501 frame. Will the 5.1 gears work? I would like to get as many parts from Smoothdrag and Tiburon as possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

Alto Mare

Very good Joe, if that's what a gunsmith uses, I must be doing something good then :).

Cortez_Conversions

Hey all, just a quick update.
I'm out of bearings for a couple of days and I had to buy shielded instead of open ones.
I will ship out the remaining orders this coming week.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

day0ne

Quote from: mikeysm on December 20, 2015, 05:01:10 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on December 20, 2015, 03:15:11 PM

I see that the plates come with bearings and bushings as a choice. I also know that the spool shafts are different sizes. My question is which spool do I use for the bearings with the 501 frame. Will the 5.1 gears work? I would like to get as many parts from Smoothdrag and Tiburon as possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

The bearings fit a 501 spool. You are thinking of a 506, which has bearings and a different sized spool shaft. These plates are for a 500/501, not a 505/506.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

mikeysm

Thanks that is what I wanted to know. I should be able to get all the parts together with the information I have.

anglingarchitect

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 19, 2015, 07:38:02 PM
All matching Fred. Handles would be from Adam, knob probably silver aluminum, not concerned about matching those.
By the way, I tried to fool you guys with that green spool here is the real pic ;D

Sal

Where do you get matching spools, frames, and clamps,from?

mikeysm

I am doing a Albacore special. Tiburon frame and spool. Black Pearls gears, double dog break plate and hardware and second generation stainless gear sleeve. Bryan's 5.1 drags. The rest I found here and there. You can build a reel and never leave this forum if you want to.