Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Looking great everyone! Can't wait to get everything to get started! 
><)))">

Tightlines667

Lookin good there Ted.  Those crab legs also look pretty darn good.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

oops... this was meant to be posted in the Penn Jigmaster Frame Kits thread.

Here's a challenge I had on my CC Jigmaster Frame kit. The reel was assembled soon after I got it then set aside. Something wasn't right. The first picture shows the Penn bridge screws are grabbing only a thread or so of the bridge.  

Tightening the screws down just cross threaded them leaving them loose and I knew I had to get longer screws. (It was easy to rethread the Penn screws with an SS nut).

Reading the SS Screw thread http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13294.0  gives all the information needed.

Got 5/8" & 1" 6-40 socket head cap screws in 18-1 SS and also bought 3/8", 1/2" & 5/8" 5-40 socket head cap screws in 316 SS to change the frame screws. All from McMaster-Carr.

Went to work on fabricating the upper screws using the 5/8" screws. The two nuts give a good grip in the drill chuck and serve as a stop for where to stop filing off the threads. Quickly discovered that a drop of CA glue was needed on the nuts to keep them from spinning off when the file pressures the screw. I used a cheap jewellers file to mill and 150 emerycloth glued to a popsicle stick to finish. It took 8-10 minutes per screw; too long! I think a diamond file may speed the milling process.

Penn screws on the left.

These screws were perfect for this reel. I like the look on the outside too. (Don't mind the cat hair).

This seems to be a lesson in manufacturing tolerances. I've since tried other stock bridge screws and a few worked and most didn't. Also we haven't heard from any other CC Jigmaster Frame builds to have had this problem. The bridge screws too short for this reel work perfectly in Tom's Jigmaster Plates. (A little long but there is no scraping on the Newell 99 spool).

To use the 5/8" SS screws in Tom's Jigmaster Plates they will need to be shortened. I'm going to do it as I've got no other use for these screws.

Merry Christmas!

Steve

mikeysm

I received my side plates, frame and spool yesterday. I went ahead and put everything together to make sure I received the correct spool. I couldn't get my spool adjustment. I contacted Sal and discussed the problem with him. It turns out their is a removable post that allows for adjustment of the spool. Well it wasn't in the knurled spool cup so I contacted Tom to get one.   

sdlehr

Quote from: foakes on December 24, 2015, 07:33:08 PM
Great work, Sid & Joe --

One thing to remember --

You are assembling your own custom reels of the highest quality components -- you are doing what few folks in the world could ever do -- and you have progressed a long way in such a short time.

Do not take your skill and these products for granted --

They are unique --

We have extraordinary members and resources here on the Alan Tani site -- and the benefits are inumerable.

That is what this site is really about...

You are both ready for graduation --

Best,

Fred
Wow, Fred, thanks. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy. I just read what you wrote to my wife. She and I agree that I don't do things in half measures, and that's a fault I have. When I want to learn something I jump in with both feet.
Quote from: Max Doubt on December 24, 2015, 08:23:40 PM
Sid, you can get a nice red spool for your reel for around $20, but the spool on there looks just fine
Yup, just won an Ebay auction yesterday for a red spool, $17 shipped. Randy was ahead of you on the recommendation and offered me one, but I had already set my bid up.

Just a warning when you are assembling these, and I learned this the hard way, it is possible to screw the right side bearing too far into the side plate, and it will interfere with the pinion movement and with free spool. I'm not used to messing with that ride side bearing on stock Penns, they're always screwed into the plate all the way, but the tolerances Tom has designed into these plates allow that right side bearing to be screwed in too far. I was getting frustrated trying to get proper performance, was about to set it aside for awhile, when I looked at the right side and decided to back the bearing out a turn or two. That was all I needed to do. She's smooth as silk now and I can move on to the next project.

Sid

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

That is the beauty of the adjustments on both the right and left sides.

The builder can get the pinion, spool centering within the frame, bearings, resistance, and operation just right to their satisfaction.

Either with Tom's screw adjusters or the knurled knobs -- it works equally well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 27, 2015, 01:55:00 AM
I cant wait to build another Cortez Conversions reel, but a different one.

Joe   
Me too! But first I'll upgrade the internals on this one!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

I tried to figure out why the pro challenger custom spacing sleeve would not fit and discovered it fits perfectly in a old style jigmaster 500, but not jigmaster 500S, which leads me to believe that Toms plate design was based on the smaller opening on the 500S, and Alan's spacers were based on the older model 500 opening which was larger. Without having both in your hand, you'd never know they are different size openings.

I like how Joe and Sal made theirs work, but wouldn't it be fairly simple to have some stainless ones made that fit snug in Toms plates ?? Just a thought.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rancanfish

We can hope.  I'm not willing to sand off the finish to make them fit.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

I believe those are copied from Lee-Pro plates,  Accurate are also tight but not the earlier plate.
It might not be that easy to get someone to make us some, unless they increase the price.
From talking with Alan C. he mentioned that there is no profit with the spacers, he's barely breaking even.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: mikeysm on December 25, 2015, 04:23:12 PM
I received my side plates, frame and spool yesterday. I went ahead and put everything together to make sure I received the correct spool. I couldn't get my spool adjustment. I contacted Sal and discussed the problem with him. It turns out their is a removable post that allows for adjustment of the spool. Well it wasn't in the knurled spool cup so I contacted Tom to get one.   

I hope everyone have a great holiday!
The removable post is required for Accurate side plates only, that's why they were not included in the sets. Can you post pics of your problem? Are you trying to build a 501 and maybe have a 506 spool?
I don't mind send you a post, but I bet that's not the problem.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on December 19, 2015, 12:05:23 AM
I received a letter today from St Charles, Mo. The envelope was empty. So any one know who this is?  ???

I still haven't heard from my mystery sender...

If you sent this letter, it arrived empty. Sealed, but empty.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Robert Janssen

I received a letter today from St Charles, Mo. The envelope was empty. So any one know who this is?  ???

It is from the National Gun Owners Association / University of Guns.
Try asking in the Firearms section? Or just phone them?

http://universityofguns.com/contact-us/

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Robert Janssen on December 27, 2015, 09:50:33 PM
I received a letter today from St Charles, Mo. The envelope was empty. So any one know who this is?  ???

It is from the National Gun Owners Association / University of Guns.
Try asking in the Firearms section? Or just phone them?

http://universityofguns.com/contact-us/

Thanks, I thought it was a member trying to send payment. Should have done my homework!

mikeysm

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on December 27, 2015, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: mikeysm on December 25, 2015, 04:23:12 PM

I hope everyone have a great holiday!
The removable post is required for Accurate side plates only, that's why they were not included in the sets. Can you post pics of your problem? Are you trying to build a 501 and maybe have a 506 spool?
I don't mind send you a post, but I bet that's not the problem.
Tom

Sal helped me out Tom. I have the correct spool it was the Post missing from the bearing cup. Also I added a small spring on the spool shaft to prevent the bearing from working its way out of the cup.