Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taily, Serrations, Brendan, Slater_Fish and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Alto Mare

Welcome tracker, I'm glad you found us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

welcome!  glad to finally get you through the spam filter!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

edmartz

Well I want to say I love this site!!!   Very iformative and thank you!!   Been fishing the Bay Area for over 40 years.   Mostly on the party boats for the last 25years.   I love fishing and golfing.   I love reels and rods.   I have a about a dozen or so reels some old and some new.   Some that need some Alan love soon.  

These are some of my classics (penn mag 970,Newell C220-5, Pro Gear CS550):

This is what I currently fish (Release SG, Daiwa Saltiga 20, Boss Magnum 270)

I want to thank everybody and hope to fish with some of you soon.

Eddie

Alto Mare

Welcome Eddie, you have good taste in reels ;)...enjoy your stay here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

bbun

Greetings everyone from another Socal member , been lurking this site when trying to learn how to take apart my first conventional reel ( charter special 2000) and upgrading the drags like to take things apart and seeing how the internals work
. been a fresh water guy and now love the salt life. really looking forward to this awesome site and learn more.

gear:
6'8 MH sellus - canean 100
8' M custom seeker - cardiff 400a
7' M segauro - charter special / tr200
8' californian - torium 30 

alantani

Abuadmiral

Hi Guys
This is my first post having been encouraged by a few of the forum.
Keeping my ABU site fresh and running ensures I am a busy guy.
Some of you may know it www.realsreels.com as I have seen a few threads where some images from there have ben discussed.
Hope to find time to contribute as well as learn
Gotta have time to fish too,  hey!
TL
Wayne Real
:)
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
www.realsreels.com

Rancanfish

Welcome Wayne. Enjoy the site.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Abuadmiral

Thanks mate
I made a couple of replies but also one new post on Record 1900. Be blowed if I can find it!
I thought it would appear under ABU/ Ambassadeur section
cheers
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
www.realsreels.com

alantani

Shark Hunter

Welcome Ed, Bun and Wayne!
Enjoy. ;D
Life is Good!

fishmeluck

Hi, this is Paul.

About 12 years ago, I got into SoCal surf fishing and joined scsurffishing.com. Then, I had my own boat for about 7 years ago, a 1979 Skipjack Cruiser 25 ft, which I sold last summer. Soon after getting involved in saltwater fishing, I needed to start servicing my reels, and Alan Tani's name started popping up on various websites with these great reel servicing tutorials, including many, many useful photos. I don't know how I missed him starting his own website until recently, but I'm sure glad he did. This site is just great, what else is there to say.

I've been saving two reels for the right time to tear down and rebuild the Tani Way. One is the Okuma TG15 II, the other is a TG50W single speed. I got both these reels on sale from I-can't-remember-who at Fred Hall here in Long Beach, four or five years ago, the TG15 for $99 and the TG50W for $149. Not sure when or if I will every need the TG50W, but the TG15 II with 400 yards of 65# braid might actually be useful this year what with 100+ lb tuna being caught locally this year.

I fished the TG15 II last week (no catches on it, specifically) and rinsed it real good, but I figure I had better do the full rebuild soon before the corrosion that it is known for does too much damage.  Of course, Alan has a full teardown and rebuild guide under Okuma Reels for the exact same reel, and I'll be using that.

One annoyance with the TG15 was that the drag-set knob would not stay put. The slightest touch of anything and it would turn. I'm going to post separately under Okuma Reels and see if anyone else has had the problem and what they did about it.
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

alantani

welcome!!!  there should be a spring underneath the preset knob.  find a slightly heavier one, make sure it is made of stainless steel, switch it out and your problems should be solved.  calipers help tremendously.  many of us have random springs laying around.  the inside diameter, outside diameter, height and wire thickness should help us find a heavier-wire spring that will do the job.  measure it out and let us know!!!!!