Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taily, Serrations, Brendan, Slater_Fish and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

fishmeluck

Quote from: alantani on August 01, 2015, 11:00:28 PM
welcome!!!  there should be a spring underneath the preset knob.  find a slightly heavier one, make sure it is made of stainless steel, switch it out and your problems should be solved.  calipers help tremendously.  many of us have random springs laying around.  the inside diameter, outside diameter, height and wire thickness should help us find a heavier-wire spring that will do the job.  measure it out and let us know!!!!!

Ex-mechanical engineer here, so I've got the tools, and this is right up my alley. Here goes.

The spring is: .024 wire dia., .400 i.d., .448 o.d., .553 free height, and has four active coils. On the knob end of the spring, it fits over a .392 o.d. On the reel end, it fits inside a .452 o.d. So as it is now, there is .008 diametric clearance on the inside and .004 on the outside. The maximum possible increase in the spring wire diameter = (.008 + .004)/2 = .006 and only if the spring i.d or o.d. is perfect.

According to http://www.acxesspring.com/compression-spring-calculations.html:
1) Assuming the spring material is ASTM A228 Music Wire, the current spring has a spring rate of 1.563 lb/in. If the material is stainless steel, the spring rate will be a little less.
2) If the wire diameter is increased to .030 and o.d. to .452, the spring rate will increase to 3.871, or about 2 1/2 times greater  :).
3) Fewer active coils or greater free height would increase the spring rate a little more.

If you can find a spring with that will be better than the current spring, I'll try it. But it might be tough to find. There isn't much room to work with  :(.

Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Reel 224

Quote from: fishmeluck on August 02, 2015, 03:37:26 PM
Quote from: alantani on August 01, 2015, 11:00:28 PM
welcome!!!  there should be a spring underneath the preset knob.  find a slightly heavier one, make sure it is made of stainless steel, switch it out and your problems should be solved.  calipers help tremendously.  many of us have random springs laying around.  the inside diameter, outside diameter, height and wire thickness should help us find a heavier-wire spring that will do the job.  measure it out and let us know!!!!!

Ex-mechanical engineer here, so I've got the tools, and this is right up my alley. Here goes.

The spring is: .024 wire dia., .400 i.d., .448 o.d., .553 free height, and has four active coils. On the knob end of the spring, it fits over a .392 o.d. On the reel end, it fits inside a .452 o.d. So as it is now, there is .008 diametric clearance on the inside and .004 on the outside. The maximum possible increase in the spring wire diameter = (.008 + .004)/2 = .006 and only if the spring i.d or o.d. is perfect.

According to http://www.acxesspring.com/compression-spring-calculations.html:
1) Assuming the spring material is ASTM A228 Music Wire, the current spring has a spring rate of 1.563 lb/in. If the material is stainless steel, the spring rate will be a little less.
2) If the wire diameter is increased to .030 and o.d. to .452, the spring rate will increase to 3.871, or about 2 1/2 times greater  :).
3) Fewer active coils or greater free height would increase the spring rate a little more.

If you can find a spring with that will be better than the current spring, I'll try it. But it might be tough to find. There isn't much room to work with  :(.

If there were a thumbs up I would give it to you for technical content ;D Welcome fishmeluck from a fellow civil engineer.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

fishmeluck

Problem solved, I think. Solution explained here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14956.0
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

alantani

i think you're going to fit in here just fine......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Edelsad

hello, I´m from cabo, mexico. my fishing activity is the inshore or surf.... in my town is dificult repair a reel, for this I locking the web for help and find this excellent forum. I expect helping you like you helping me. (sorry for the bad writing, but i try to no use a translate and get for my self  :))

David Hall

David Hall

Quote from: Edelsad on August 05, 2015, 01:52:59 AM
hello, I´m from cabo, mexico. my fishing activity is the inshore or surf.... in my town is dificult repair a reel, for this I locking the web for help and find this excellent forum. I expect helping you like you helping me. (sorry for the bad writing, but i try to no use a translate and get for my self  :))

Welcome Edelsad,
You came to the right place.

Alto Mare

Welcome Fishmeluck! Nice to have you here.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Welcome aboard Edelsad, enjoy your stay.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Edelsad on August 05, 2015, 01:52:59 AM

Edelsad Welcome, you don't need a translator when it comes to reel repair, we all speak the same language. ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

edelsad, welcome!  how reliable is the mail if things are shipped to you?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Edelsad

thanks everybory for fell welcome. hi alan, a don´t tell how efective is the national mail. for shipping i use private service like dhl and I not have any problem.(I hope understend the cuestion  :) )

Shark Hunter

Welcome Edelsad! ;D
We understand perfectly. Enjoy your stay. ;)
Life is Good!

MFB

G'day gentlemen,

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton