Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyJoe, sharkman, Byron, Catching Nemo and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

pavlov JoeR  fishpsycho13 Tautog, welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...

CJ

Hi Alan,
   Found you by accident when searching for shark fishing reels. I had visited a local fishing shop and they were trying to sell me on the Montauk Fishing Gear (aka MTK) reels. In my research of this particular brand I found your postings of how they are identical to the Canyon and Black Marlin reels. I wanted to thank you for those postings (because I can see how identical the MTK is to the Canyon and Black Marlin reels) and for saving me money and grief. In talking with family and friends about reels, I received two Diawa sealine 900h reels. Found your tutorial on rebuilding the drag system and reel handle swap for this reel from back in 2010. I was wondering if you still had the drag kit and reel handle available?
Thank you in advance. Please keep up your great reviews for those of us newbies so we don't spend our hard earned money foolishly.
Sincerely,
CJ
:)

Cone

Welcome CJ and welcome back Tautog. We look forward to getting to know you!
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

welcome!  the upgraded 900h is a great reel.  send a pm with your address and i will ship out the parts. when they arrive, send a check.  i am just now catching up with pm's from 2 weeks ago......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

CJ, welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...

mccandrj

Quote from: alantani on December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM
december 3rd, 2008 - i don't know how you found me, but welcome to the new board.  it was started just today.  the maintenance, tutorial, fishing and for sale sections will be "read only" until i get everything loaded in.  even after that, they will probably remain "read only" until i see how much work this is really going to be.  i've been wanting to start my own website for quite some time now.  i have so much "stuff" spread out all over the internet that it's become impossible to keep track of.  posts have wandered off to other boards, some have even been translated into foreign languages.  i never would have believed that this material would have ever gained such acceptance.  it has actually been quite humbling.  it has also been getting away from me. 

i will continue to post and field questions on all the other websites, but please check back here for updates and changes before you actually crack open a reel.  if there is an update on a fishing reel rebuild post, i want make sure you know before hand.  to all of you that have been supportive and encouraging, and even to those of you that have been harshly critical, you have my sincere gratitude.  i could not have come this far without you.  alan

Been fishing for 60 years mostly in Jersey from the Raritan Bay down to Cape May, and this is the best site I have seen for real reel information and repairs. I have saved a lot of money. Thanks  RJ

ThomasPI

I too came across this site while searching  for a new reel and a great resource. We're in North Florida.

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

Jonnybravo

First post here!  Alan, I met you about 4 years ago at Fisherman's Warehouse while I was searching for a sturgeon reel.  I've since become totally hooked on tuna and just bought a Okuma MK-15IISEa after reading your review.  Thanks.

Jon Nguyen

surf_lawaia1631

Hello Alan,
   Not sure if you remember me, but I have been to your residence a few times and dropped off a few reels years ago to upgrade the drag. I first met you back in 2005 at Fisherman's warehouse where I upgraded the drags on about a dozen of my reels. I think I still have your cell number if it's the same. If I told what I do for a living you would probably would remember me ;) . Anyways, great site with great information.

Erik. R

alantani

jonny, erik, glad you joined us!  remember that there is always cold beer in the frig.  swing by anytime!

zdogk9

Over the last half century, (well maybe a bit more than that) I seem to have accumulated way too many reels according to my wife, I figure that at any given time I only need one more. This seems like the place to come to find out about keeping them running.
Thanks for providing this resource!
Z

bile

Hello Alan and fishermembers.
I'm new here and fish the SoCa coast.  More than a couple of 500 jig masters, one or two 501's, squiders, and some larger models.  I arrived here because I want to upgrade, clean em up, and do it myself.
Thanks all,
bile

alantani