EatMyTackle H346

Started by PacRat, June 16, 2021, 10:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Looking at the gear sleeve, it looks like it could accept standard keyed disks along with fiber disks. The main gear has no notches, so eared disks wouldn't work. Anyway, this could still save the reel if drag parts became unavailable.

Still, pulling 55lbs of drag will never happen with this reel without destroying it!

RowdyW

Yup the wording on the box and the paperwork yields to have been interpreted but from Where...lol
Doesn't  reeely matter as I was impressed with your tear down and got it free shipping and Free line and 40 bux off .

They have a few Reels listed  out of stock .

I remember a small start up car company back in the late 60's that sold for around 1200 dollars with out  A/C . A/C was an additional 1200 ...lol  and I went to school on them in San Antonio Texas.
The engine in it was a 4 cylinder water cooled Horizontally opposed and had a manual five speed transmission.
People said it would never make it .......... Fuji HEAVY INDUSTRIES which is known as
SUBARU Today.

Maybe the EatMyTackle Company is to be.  

[/quote]Let's hope it's not a YUGO.

PacRat

I just took it apart again and I knocked another one of those brake pads off. They do seem to be glued to the brake shoe. I scraped the surface with an exacto knife to clean the original adhesive off and it seemed like a layer wanted to peel from the pad. It could very possibly be some type of pheonolic material.
This drag design feels pretty smooth but I'd like to see one after a hard workout so we could know what will wear out. The actual friction area seems much less than a conventional disk stack but the friction is applied completely different. I just wonder where the heat goes and what it will do to the grease and components. The frame is likely the weakest link and it does not appear that it will be compatible with any existing Tiburon frames. I would fish this all day at 12 lbs but not certain I would want to go any harder than that without a stronger frame.

nelz

Hey PacRat, thanks for posting this, I've been curious about this reel for a while.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: PacRat on June 18, 2021, 02:43:56 AM
I just took it apart again and I knocked another one of those brake pads off. They do seem to be glued to the brake shoe. I scraped the surface with an exacto knife to clean the original adhesive off and it seemed like a layer wanted to peel from the pad. It could very possibly be some type of pheonolic material.
This drag design feels pretty smooth but I'd like to see one after a hard workout so we could know what will wear out. The actual friction area seems much less than a conventional disk stack but the friction is applied completely different. I just wonder where the heat goes and what it will do to the grease and components. The frame is likely the weakest link and it does not appear that it will be compatible with any existing Tiburon frames. I would fish this all day at 12 lbs but not certain I would want to go any harder than that without a stronger frame.

Well I remember in my younger Hot Rodding years is was NOT a GOOD THING when brake shoes came loose....lol

I would imagine on the setup on this drag the metal would fade the heat if you look you will see air gaps between the slabs of metal the little shoes fit on also.
I do think the shoe should be fixed to the arbor though .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Ok after looking at the closer image you posted I see the pads are held in place by the metal holders on each end so the glue you scraped off is prob just used to aid in assembly and the pads are NOT to be permanently attached.
Now when the pads wear down ?????

I saw the pads in your first post and was answering Nelz about availability and they are not listed in the schematic but in the Drag assembly only . I am going to inquire about IF you can get just the lil shoes .

I plan on taking mine apart too when I get it hopefully by Sat.

philaroman

what if main function of "the contraption" is to start Forum Topics?  :o
could you replace it w/ a spacer & check what feels different, if anything
looks like plenty meat in gear sidewall to Dremel out some ear grooves  ;D

mo65

Thanks for the look at that one Mike...very interesting. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

Well I got mine coming. Something for amusement. To get the good price you have to go to their website, eatmytackle.com On ebay it's $104. Line choices are clear mono or blue 8 strand braid. On the website you can get the 1000 point bonus for a $10.00 discount.

Gfish

Cool. Brake shoes. Looks like they're getting a good marketing start; a reasonable Newell facsimile, discounts, an in-your-face company name/logo with the innuendo and possible(intentional?) false drag numbers. Wonder what kinda quality the ball bearings are and why the keyed gear sleeve?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

PacRat

Here's an explanation of how the brakes work.

This photo is looking at the top (or drag star side). What isn't showing is the next component in the stack which is a heavy thrust washer with a 45 degree bevel around the bottom outside edge. The brake shoes are loosely captive withing the triple thruster hub. The top inside edge of the shoes are beveled to match the bevel of the thrust washer. (Identified by the prentheses). Compressing the stack (hub and thrust washer) via the star spreads the shoes in the direction indicated by the arrows.

-Mike

Robert Janssen

That is cool. Not that it may be better, stronger or faster somehow; i am just glad that someone is thinking differently and trying something new. Cool.

handi2

I wouldn't buy anything from them. From what I've seen all they sell is junk.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wompus Cat

Quote from: handi2 on June 19, 2021, 06:41:06 PM
I wouldn't buy anything from them. From what I've seen all they sell is junk.

Well I got my Junk for only 89 Bux  ;D
and Like I said I use to spill more than that in a Bar.

I liked the looks of the Teardown PacRat showed us Plus the Neat Logo and Free Sipping and Free Spool of 80 lb. Braid .

Guess I will decide when I get mine in my Hands to tear down and compare .
Can Always make a Lamp or sumpin out of it . Have it Bronzed , Book End, Paper Weight, Target, or loan to one of my in-laws when they reach for my Good Reels. ;D

philaroman

a bit off-topic...  been thinking of something vaguely similar & less involved for UL spinner w/ appropriate metal spool
would have to be small drag well that is intended for 2-stack (no ear groves) & polished inside
size-matched BIG FAT FELT POLISHING DISK from Dremel or such, in place of original drag material
"BIG FAT" compared to drag disks -- as polishing heads go, some are <5mm thick & within range for OD
limited tools -- can't think of neat, clean way to expand ID (just a tight center-hole for mandrel screw)
curious how such drag would behave before & after felt "squeezed out the sides" to engage drag-well sides