Started by PacRat, June 16, 2021, 10:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 23, 2021, 01:55:59 PM
Quote from: philaroman on June 21, 2021, 11:46:19 PM
is it The Emperor's New Braid?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Just Hit Me ...........roflmao

Hans never gets old

you seem like the type of guy who'll open the reel after 1st real use, to see what's up
those pen springs will prob. rust as soon as they smell salt air -- might want SS replacements handy
maybe, leave the originals compressed in a vise for a while for "fast break-in"

PacRat

I received this email from EatMyTackle today.

Here are some answers given to me by our manufacturer:

1) The thruster drag is completely new to me. Do they wear out over time? 
Over time there will be wear, but we have not received any requests for replacements since this type of brake has been sold (over 4 years).
The brake shoes expand outward when the star drag is screwed down, therefore any wear off on the carbon shoe is taken up when the star drag screws down.
Maintenance- the wear off is not a factor- If the surface becomes polished from constant rubbing of the carbon shoe against the spool rim, take a very fine sandpaper and rough the carbon surface again.

2) How much does a drag replacement cost?
The whole drag assembly can be purchased for $10

3) Do I replace just the drag shoes or the entire triple thruster assembly?
The entire assembly must be replaced.

4) Should the flat carbon washers be greased or should I always run them dry?
Do not oil, keep dry.

Wompus Cat

[/quote]Posted by: philaroman
Hans never gets old

you seem like the type of guy who'll open the reel after 1st real use, to see what's up
those pen springs will prob. rust as soon as they smell salt air -- might want SS replacements handy
maybe, leave the originals compressed in a vise for a while for "fast break-in"

[/quote]

Ahh yes Hans Christian Anderson not to be cornfused with Hans Conreid of Fractured Flickers Fame.....

The springs I used are stainless not reely out of Ink Pen but basic same size so I used as descript.
Very Good Point Though!

QuotePosted by: PacRat
Insert Quote
"I wonder how long the plastic stand will last."
I just double-checked mine and the base is definitely metal. It looks just like the old Newell bases but without the black paint.

I had not noticed the foot and holder were Metal . Thanks for that info .
So with the two Wide  Bars ,three screws in Foot per side  and the single Bar at top you reely have  the equivalent of Eight Supports in the Plastic Frame along with the Rings this MIGHT hold up a while .
The Reel is Smaller than the Penn 113 and bigger than the Squidder  . It is about 84.6 mm Around the Side plates.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

QuoteFrom PacRat
4) Should the flat carbon washers be greased or should I always run them dry?
Do not oil, keep dry.

RUT RO  !
I Greased mine with Cals and Like it .......

Hope I didn't Woid my Varranty  :o

LOOPHOLE #1 They did not say not to GREASE EM now did they  ;D

RowdyW

I think it is closer to a 112H in size , just a little over a 1/4" wider.

Maxed Out

Thanks to Mike and Henry for satisfying my curiosity.

I can spend $80 and get a mint USA made 113h on eBay and never worry about getting parts, or be concerned about unknown weak links.  A plastic China made reel is a whole nother ball game
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 24, 2021, 03:02:48 AM
Thanks to Mike and Henry for satisfying my curiosity.

I can spend $80 and get a mint USA made 113h on eBay and never worry about getting parts, or be concerned about unknown weak links.  A plastic a China made reel is a whole nother ball game

Well there is That but I would think it a Sacrilege to Do what we are gonna do with these Reels to a MINT 113H  ::)

Wompus Cat

Quote1) The thruster drag is completely new to me. Do they wear out over time?
Over time there will be wear, but we have not received any requests for replacements since this type of brake has been sold (over 4 years).
The brake shoes expand outward when the star drag is screwed down, therefore any wear off on the carbon shoe is taken up when the star drag screws down.
Maintenance- the wear off is not a factor- If the surface becomes polished from constant rubbing of the carbon shoe against the spool rim, take a very fine sandpaper and rough the carbon surface again.

Well those lil shoes don't appear to me to be Carbon but more like a Silicone Based Material and are actually soft not a hardened surface like most Carbon materials I have used and I did not use any oil or Grease on those ,just the Real Carbon Type Washers  inside of Main gear and on the Bottom of it .

btw the explanation here seems like another one of the Translation department close to English explanations like the 55 pound Max. Drag  on the Box.
Kinda like trying to understand a Guy using Sign Language that Stutters.

philaroman

oh, I think I figured out the 55 thing:
some marketing bright boy decided "20" was KG, converted to LB & rounded up...  VERY liberally: by adding 10

Wompus Cat

Quote from: philaroman on June 24, 2021, 03:50:41 AM
some marketing bright boy decided "20" was KG, converted to LB & rounded up...  VERY liberally: by adding 10

One thing I am absolutely positive about is

I dunno !

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on June 24, 2021, 01:18:23 AM
I sent them an email for the 2 washers too. I guess I should order some spare parts too. What handle arm did you use as a replacement? I tried a 113H arm the length of the hole is a snug fit but the width is very sloppy.  ::)

Rowdy ,
I just hung a monster 114 Handle on there for Grins  . It don't even come close to touching the shaft....lol
Still looking for a good fitting one .Probably going to have to file out one of my power Handles off an other   brand of import Reel I have laying around . Will post whn I find it .

Gfish

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 24, 2021, 04:00:37 AM
Quote from: philaroman on June 24, 2021, 03:50:41 AM

One thing I am absolutely positive about is

I dunno !

False advertising. Easy to do if they keep getting away with it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

I'd like to see a photo of what that reel looks like after attempting to pull out line at say, 50lbs of pressure? Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!  ;D

RowdyW

Cat, any chance a Newell handle arm might fit? I don't have any Newells to try. Across the flats is .249" (1/4") & the length of the rounded end is .340" .

Wompus Cat

Quote from: RowdyW on June 27, 2021, 07:22:00 PM
Cat, any chance a Newell handle arm might fit? I don't have any Newells to try. Across the flats is .249" (1/4") & the length of the rounded end is .340" .

Well I don't have any Newells  either per se to check
(Thanks for the Measurements)
But I have GOBS of Handles to go through and will find something I'm sure .I THINK some old Shakespeare DEEP SEA sizes will work but not confirmed.
May have to make an insert to make one of Alan's or Ted's Blanks to fit and go from there .