Florida Adventures

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 20, 2021, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I hit the Florida inshore grand slam today. Snook, redfish, spotted trout, and mangrove snapper. But the minor league version because all were too small to keep.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

it looks like a great day amigo, congrats
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

More small snook a few trout, sail cats, and mangrove snapper today.

This boy got catch of the day. Way to make dad proud.

It's supposed to start raining tomorrow morning so I'm just setting my alarm for my normal work wake up time to see if i can get a few hours in. Still got some bait left.

Brewcrafter

Jason you have been on a tear lately!  Great to see!  And no shame in catching shorts as long as they are released responsibly and healthy like anyone on the forum would do - its good action!  Keep it coming! - john

JasonGotaProblem

Today was a good day. I gotta figure out why my phone isnt saving pics but a few more undersize snook, trout, small reds, a keeper snapper, and an over slot red that I lost lifting out of the water.

I also fought a probably 80-100# ray for about 15 minutes on my 4000 spheros. Finally got him dockside and he broke me off as I tried to get him up to dehook.

I also lost a few slot snook near structure because some of my rods were running 10 braid.

That 2500 stradic seen in some of the fish pics was Keith's reel that he said he used a lot when he lived on the water. He also said he wished he got a chance to fish the Indian river. Well I guess this is the next best thing. And Im not superstitious but it seemed like every time i was thinking about that while holding that rod, a fish hit. So there's that.

Cor

Looks like you having great fun, keep it up and enjoy.
Cornelis

Gfish

Yeah. There's something special about variety. Good pictures, keep 'em commin. Fishing vicariously through others for now...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

More pics. I reinforced a lesson I already knew with that ray: dont trust others to take good pics of your fish. You cant tell from the pic that this fella looked to be dang near 3' across.

Also I realize that all this adds up pretty well. Most my fishing trips over here had been a bust. Last time i was here 5 months ago I marvelled at how many baby specimens of fish i saw. This time i caught a bunch of small fish.

This tracks pretty logically with how the lagoon went to (12yo rule) but started recovering late last year. Seeing all those baby fish suggested a recovery had begun. Catching a bunch of small fish confirmed it's continuing to recover. Let's hope to see big fish in there again sooner or later.

Also photographed, a very large spotted gar, I've never seen one in this salty brackish river before. I threw my bait too close to him and spooked him, but not before snapping a pic.

steelfish

it looks like a pretty healthy lagoon, definitely a place to test your UL gear

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Bite was slow today. But it fired up enough for my dad to get a snook on the first time I've talked him into joining me since I was a kid.

Brewcrafter

steelfish

cool, the best of that is you found another fishing partner

time to build more rods
The Baja Guy

Crab Pot

Jason,

Is that a Calcutta 250 in your hand?

I need to learn up on my Florida species before my trip.

Wish my boy was still that size, enjoy it while you can.

They grow up and it ends too soon.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

That is indeed a calcutta 250 in hand. But since you've last held it it's gotten carbon drags ceramic bearings and a mag brake.

Gonna try to get my son involved today for the 3-generation edition.