Which 113?

Started by Classtime, May 10, 2023, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Don't go out on a BFT trip with a 4/0 as your heavy reel! A Jigmaster would work during the day if the fish are up and school sized.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Good deal for $50,  clean it up and have at it!
A 550 is 9' right?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Classtime

Quote from: Swami805 on May 11, 2023, 02:36:22 AMGood deal for $50,  clean it up and have at it!
A 550 is 9' right?
The seller is being a flake. I'm looking now at the 113H with the graphite frame. The 550 is 9' and is a beast. My son says it's gonna kill me. Funny because he gave me the blank for a birthday present, I wrapped it up nice and pretty and now he teases me when I make plans for it.

Benni3

The baja with the double dog set up is nice,,,, ;) if you want to go down the rabbit hole get a old 113h and 3 or $400 worth of parts,,,, ??? Look at the ex narrow frames,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

You can hot rod one,,,,, >:D

JasonGotaProblem

I had a feeling this thread would go places.

Also a search on eBay shows some modded 113h for sale for not much more than the mods probably cost. That's def the most cost effective way to go. Takes some of the fun out though, which I assume is the reason they're still listed.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

alantani

C'mon, guys. Two speed lever drags.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Penn Fathom or Fathom II two speed reels are priced close to what you  can put into a hotroded 113H and like Alan and Mark have said above  use a 2 speed reel when fishing for BFT.  I would suggest for a start a  FTH30LD2  FTH40NLD2 or the FTHII version of the same reels.  For a relatively low cost heavy reel the Penn FTHII60NLD2 looks interesting but I have not used one yet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: alantani on May 11, 2023, 02:40:25 PMC'mon, guys. Two speed lever drags.....
My good sir I am certain that you are giving sound advice. But do you yourself always listen to sound advice? I know I don't. Sometimes I just try to catch fish the way I wanna catch fish, even if it's not the easiest or the most effective.

If I may be forgiven for the psychoanalysis I'd say it sounds like the modded penn bug has already bitten this fella. And we already know there's no cure for that.

Also I came to a realization. Modding reels is the practice of turning a reel that works... into a reel that usually works.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

No issue about hotrodding reels, like I posted above I have many.  However it is expensive to get to the fish so it is smart to use what those that have caught larger BFT suggest.

Would you want to hook a fish like these  and loose it because you brought mouse gear to fight cows?

Bad things can happen when using the wrong tools.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 11, 2023, 03:09:40 PM......I just try to catch fish the way I wanna catch fish, even if it's not the easiest or the most effective.

I think that quote only applies to small to medium size fish OR if you are after an IGFA world record but as soon as you found the 80# grouper on shallow waters and bigger tunas on deep waters you will love 2-speed reels.

I must recon that I love my Baja Special reel and my modded 113HXN with 7-drag washer, etc but sometimes they stay in the rod holder all day, sure they work and will bring any 30# YT but its easier with the Mak15  :P

The Baja Guy

Bill B

I'm with Alan and I'm too old to struggle with big fish on a single speed.  With the Fathom 40NLD2 large fish can be landed, depending on the attitude of the fish it can be a workout.  This fish was on the 40 with 80# braid and top shot.  It was a struggle, over an hour to get it to gaff.  As an all around reel the 40NLD2 is a good choice. 

The 113H is a nice reel but no way would I want to tangle with a large BFT. 

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shellbelly

Interesting thread about fighting fish.  All the perspectives and advice are very good from many points of view.  The common thread appears to be to minimize the fight and get the fish on the boat because of the stress on the angler.

Those guys back in the '30s and '40s must have been tough you-know-whats.  What happened to that?  Now don't start barkin' at me.  It's just a question from a rarely utilized perspective.  Those guys caught fish, too....and went back for more over and over again....using that old slow heavy stuff that nobody wants to use today.  I don't think they wound up prostrate on the deck but the fish sure did. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Swami805

I gotta say I'm with the op classtime here, he's going on a day trip on the San Diego.  550 with a 4/0 sounds like a fun way to fish to me. The likelihood of him hooking in to anything he couldn't handle on that rig is remote at best. School size bluefin will be a battle but doable. Fire a snipper in a foamer and let the fun begin
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

Quote from: Keta on May 11, 2023, 03:17:09 PMNo issue about hotrodding reels, like I posted above I have many.  However it is expensive to get to the fish so it is smart to use what those that have caught larger BFT suggest.

Would you want to hook a fish like these  and loose it because you brought mouse gear to fight cows?

Bad things can happen when using the wrong tools.

Lee, I love you like an older brother, but this isn't work, so your argument falls apart.

If you are someone who is passionate about big fish on light tackle, you have to spend the same money to get to the fish; its the only way to get there. For some, even if they only ever get one shot, they have to see if they can do it. A past US President would say that those people are NOT a poor, timid sole.

This is getting philosophical, but that is what fishing is at the end of the day. Alan has told me that anyone who can get to the super cows should go. He says that you learn what works and what doesn't and you, your gear, and your technique has to be right. He is, obviously, correct; however, if you fish schoolie YFT with a bass rod and 15# test, the reality is the exact same. Last year I caught a trip limit of yellowtail in one day with a graphite framed star drag and 30# floro, and I proved to myself what the original poster is looking to find out.

Again, love you forever.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"