Which 113?

Started by Classtime, May 10, 2023, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

I know you are looking for a reel immediately, but as a suggestion for another time, look for an old Penn International 50. Very serviceable reel that you can, If you're patient, find for a song. I bought one last year for $40 at a yard sale.
Vic

Bill B

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 11, 2023, 06:44:45 PM
Quote from: Keta on May 11, 2023, 03:17:09 PMNo issue about hotrodding reels, like I posted above I have many.  However it is expensive to get to the fish so it is smart to use what those that have caught larger BFT suggest.

Would you want to hook a fish like these  and loose it because you brought mouse gear to fight cows?

Bad things can happen when using the wrong tools.

Lee, I love you like an older brother, but this isn't work, so your argument falls apart.

If you are someone who is passionate about big fish on light tackle, you have to spend the same money to get to the fish; its the only way to get there. For some, even if they only ever get one shot, they have to see if they can do it. A past US President would say that those people are NOT a poor, timid sole.

This is getting philosophical, but that is what fishing is at the end of the day. Alan has told me that anyone who can get to the super cows should go. He says that you learn what works and what doesn't and you, your gear, and your technique has to be right. He is, obviously, correct; however, if you fish schoolie YFT with a bass rod and 15# test, the reality is the exact same. Last year I caught a trip limit of yellowtail in one day with a graphite framed star drag and 30# floro, and I proved to myself what the original poster is looking to find out.

Again, love you forever.

The Man

Dr. Jones (I'm still looking for a clip from Indiana Jones where the kid calls him Dr. Jones 🤣🤣🤣🤣) I will have to somewhat disagree with your statement.

While I applaud you for making a decision to limit with a star drag reel you were not keeping 23 other paying fishermen from fishing.

I was under gunned last year with a particularly mean fish, making 85' circles collecting lines from the stern.  This prevented 23 other fishermen from even attempting to fish.  It's not fair.  While the 113H is a capable reel, especially Domonick's Tank and my Fathom 40 is also a capable reel, I was way under gunned and the hour plus fight proved it. 

That tuna and Brian's marlin wrecked me and I have no desire to do it again.  When the potential for big mean fish are present bring the right artillery.  I wouldn't hunt elephants with a Winchester 30-30.

Technique is a key component but proper equipment is also paramount. 

If I was fishing private charter and had the capability to chase a fish and not keep others from fishing I might give it a try.

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

I've caught schoolie YFT on the Ridge with a TranX 300 on a bass rod. I've caught cows and super cows... on appropriate heavy 2-speeds. Most big BFT come off jigs at night... it's not a finesse game! It's amazing (ok, not, this is the internet!) how many without appropriate experience will tell you what will work. You can certainly fish for big fish with a 4/0 but don't look/act surprised when you get your #### handed to you. Even on a day and a half BFT boat you need a 100# rig!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Ron, you are one of my favorit people to disagree with, keep up the good work.

I fish 30# (Avet MX6/3 or Penn TRQ15XNLD2 two speed reels) most of the time, but not for dropper loop or when larger tuna are in the area.  If I am tormenting dorado I will use a single speed star drag.

I watched Potts come close to getting spooled by a plus size BFT in 30 seconds with a Avet MXJ and 30#. Foruunatly his topshot broke when he thumbs down hard on the spool and he did not loose Spectra.

Shellelly,
Those real men are dead now.  They often had to hook on 1 or 2 rigs and toss them over the side when a fish took a long run.  I am over 70 now and 2 speed is my friend.  The 338# BFT above that the shark bit was on my 68th birthday, the tiny 230# one below it was a few months after my 69th.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shellbelly

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 11, 2023, 06:44:45 PMIf you are someone who is
Ron, no need to quote your entire statement.  What's in it sums up why I have always fished. 

My firearms are idle because I've been there and done that.  There was nothing "new" left for me to do with those tools and the exercise became mundane. 

My fishing has never stopped and I don't think there's an "end".  I may become unable, but I'll never disconnect as long as I can comprehend. The variables, species, gear, lessons, and experiences are infinite.  I agree that accepting the possibility of being outclassed, leaving no way out, and succeeding is a right of passage.  Mundane and robotic aren't possible when you fight above your weight class. 

I also recognize that the dollars spent to get to the fight are considerable these days.  That aspect has affected the passions of fishermen toward a more efficient and short-lived fight.  Smarter-not-harder has been borrowed from work and placed into fishing.  Regrettable loss of experiences, but understandable.

Call all that ridiculous if you will, but I love to fight a fish.  If he kicks my butt and breaks my stuff today, then so be it.  I'll come back for some more of that and maybe put him in the cooler or cut him loose.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Shellbelly

Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2023, 02:38:45 AMThose real men are dead now.  They often had to hook on 1 or 2 rigs and toss them over the side when a fish took a long run.  I am over 70 now and 2 speed is my friend.  The 338# BFT above that the shark bit was on my 68th birthday, the tiny 230# one below it was a few months after my 69th.
So true, they's dead and gone.  The point is they consistently landed very big fish, like yours, with wooden sticks and big, slow reels.  When I see these discussions trying to establish what is "necessary" to catch fish, I notice how "necessary" really means "easier-faster" to get out of the way of everybody else.  Some of the sport is lost in that.

You are wise to fish within your means.  I don't cast 13' surf rods very often anymore.  I pay a hard price when I do...and I'm just a kid at 63. ;) 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

JasonGotaProblem

I deliberately stirred the pot with my earlier comments because every time a thread gets legs, I get to learn. But i fear may have rubbed a few folks the wrong way.

But in case it's unclear, I've never fished for tuna, and never fished offshore. I've never paid thousands of dollars to get on a boat, so my preference for using the lightest tackle I can get away with is based on my on-shore experience. So at this scale it is all hypothetical to me, whereas most of you have actual experience. I just like a good hard fight.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 12, 2023, 01:02:34 PM...i fear may have rubbed a few folks the wrong way.

You haven't.

Those of us speaking from experience are trying to make sure others have the right gear.  The plus size fish are not there all of the time but they are there often enough that you should be ready.

Your last post did hit a sore point with me though.  "Ultra lite" fishing and catch and release kills close to as many fish as catch and eat fishing, especialy when you catch a larger one.  A long fight causes lactic acid to build up often causing a fish to swim off and die when released.  Food quality also suffers from a long fight. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shellbelly

Quote from: Keta on May 12, 2023, 01:20:32 PMcatch and release kills close to as many fish as catch and eat fishing,
I have seen many undersized speckled trout floating by.  Guys squeeze the life out of them to get the hooks out.  Big Reds have to be revived but in the winter, I've seen guys throw them back and watch 'em roll because they don't want to get their little tootsies wet.  There are too many tools out there for this to keep happening. 

Catch and release is fine, but it carries a heavier responsibility (barbless hooks!). Releasing an edible, legal game fish and seeing it drift and die after twisting and ripping the inside of its mouth is a wanton waste.  If I kill a bull redfish, I'll tag it.  I won't watch him go belly-up and drift. 

Keta

Yup, I agree 100%.  Waste of resources is why I am on the board of directors of OCEAN.

Oregon Coalition Educating ANglers

Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Everything is a balancing act. Logically if youre fishing C&R it's for the fun of it, which is why nobody uses electric reels on trout. But i agree that fighting something too long on something too light definitely decreases survival odds. So yeah there's definitely a balancing act. But there's always a balancing act to do something right.

For me personally the only time I'm intentionally doing C&R is bass fishing in neighborhood retention ponds.

Gfish

Do what'cha ya want Classtime. Personally, I've "kinda" gotten past that "I have'ta land this big'n, maybe it's the fish of a lifetime", thing. In fact, I'd rather( I have

Lost) lose one on a smaller-lighter rig that I modified, than land one on a stock rig. Ahhh, most of the time? Economically, one might wanna factor in everything(time, hassle, expense, etc.) before goin after a prize like a Bluefin and taking a chance on losing it cause you're undergunned...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Some folks think releasing a fish just means "not keeping it."

Finest Kind

Fishing from a small private boat with totally stock 113H or 114H we had no problem with BFT up to #150 or so. That was with mono 'back in the day'. At the time there weren't a lot of options. None we could afford anyway. I'm putting together a 113H now with all the upgrades, because I really don't like lever drag reels for jigging. I plan on fishing it with 80 power pro. I'm thinking it will be fine for fish up to about #200. I'll post pictures if it blows up in my face.
John

nelz

Quote from: Keta on May 11, 2023, 03:17:09 PMBad things can happen when using the wrong tools.

Wow, care to share the story behind the catastrophic failure of this reel?