Which 113?

Started by Classtime, May 10, 2023, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Classtime

It is time for a heavier outfit and I'm looking at 4/0 Senators.
I understand there were changes over the years. Which would be a good one out of the box that would also permit most all of the upgrades available? Of course a Baja Special would be awesome but a bit pricey at the moment. I'm considering a very nice unmolested 113HL. What do you think?
Jeff

alantani

jeff, let's not take that trip down the rabbit hole just yet.  what kind of fishing are you doing?  where at?  target species?  weight class?  desired line weight and drag range?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I am not one to talk, I have over a dozen modified Penn reels,  but for the money there is a lot of good off the shelf reels you can get for less than you can put into a highly modified reel.  If you like to tinker and fish gear you "built" go for it but it can be a expensive and addictive hobby. 

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Classtime

I have some Jigmasters 500, 501, 505, 506, that I tinker with -- Newell bars and clamps, Tiburon, frames, new drags. 

My son insists I will be under-gunned on The San Diego for a one day at the end of this month because of the BFT caught yesterday. I'll be very happy with YT. So...60 pound mono? I want to get a Senator that i can use right away that works with the later upgrades that I read about on here. Not sure when I'll upgrade but I want the option when the time comes. Most of our fishing is local, out of Redondo Beach, Long Beach.
Thannks

Ron Jones

I hate saying this, bt for a one day, you will be set with the Jigmaster. If you want to fish BFT, the boat will have a rental rig that will be just fine.

Now, if you are using he one day as a scenario to justify purchasing a new toy, and that is the best thing in life to do by the way, we can start the conversation. Alan will not recommend the 113H for BFT, I do not think.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

I think I'd get one with the half graphite frame and aluminum spool. I think those came with bearings and HT100 CF drags. The USA made ones. That should fish 40-50 ok and can be upgraded later
Lots of good reels out there that would probably be better but if you gotta have a 113h that should work
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Classtime

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 10, 2023, 05:57:27 PMI hate saying this, bt for a one day, you will be set with the Jigmaster. If you want to fish BFT, the boat will have a rental rig that will be just fine.

Now, if you are using he one day as a scenario to justify purchasing a new toy, and that is the best thing in life to do by the way, we can start the conversation. Alan will not recommend the 113H for BFT, I do not think.

The Man
After my son saw the pictures of the BFT caught yesterday on The San Diego, he is begging me to borrow a bigger rod and reel from a friend for this one day. I would prefer to get a stock 113 -- not for a dedicated BFT rig but just as the next step up from my Jigmasters.

day0ne

For a 4/0, the 113HL is on the top of my list. Should have aluminum bars and spool already. Go for it. Of course, I'm one to talk. I currently have 11 113H's in various stages of modification.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

For my charters, I tell the guys to bring only two speed lever drag reels. Where do you live? Any chance that you are in northern California?

Classtime

I'm in L.A. area -- Redondo Beach. Allan, My son says the same thing.

The reel I'm looking at doesn't have the Half Frame but it does have the Black (aluminum?) Bars and the chrome foot like a Jigmaster. Does it make a big difference if one day, I'll get a a new frame? Should I keep looking for the Half Frame?

Does the version with the half frame have better drag, bearings, etc?

Gfish

If you go to Mysticparts.com, conventional reels, Senators, there will be all the options for the 113/4/0 series. Might take awhile to browse through, though. Just me, but I'd avoid graphite anything if possible...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Classtime

Thank You All. Most helpful recommendations. I'm Picking it up today for 50 bucks. It will get cleaned, greased, new Mono, and to make sure that I am in way over my head, I'm going to mount it on a Green Seeker 550 that was given to me last year :d

thorhammer

alantani

going for a budget 50 pound reel?  go with a shimano tld 20 two speed loaded with straight 50 pound mono.  set the drag to 15 pounds of drag at strike.  that should get you 25 pounds at full.  the only thing you might add is a big handle.  i've got a nice one. 

day0ne

Quote from: Classtime on May 10, 2023, 07:22:27 PMI'm in L.A. area -- Redondo Beach. Allan, My son says the same thing.

The reel I'm looking at doesn't have the Half Frame but it does have the Black (aluminum?) Bars and the chrome foot like a Jigmaster. Does it make a big difference if one day, I'll get a a new frame? Should I keep looking for the Half Frame?

Does the version with the half frame have better drag, bearings, etc?

No and NO
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter