Which 113?

Started by Classtime, May 10, 2023, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: day0ne on May 13, 2023, 06:26:47 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on May 13, 2023, 04:56:21 PMA US113N or Baja Special would not be my first choice.  There is a problem with the dog/ratchet at higher loads that can be fixed, but that requires replacing the bridge assembly with the aftermarket Cortez Conversion product.

In the end, it will be easier and cheaper to pick up a good TLD 20 two speed. In my mind, the reel is suitably "old tech" enough to be about as simple to work on and as reliable as a two speed gets.  Don't let the broken frames in the TLD 50 LRS (extra wide) photos scare you.  The  50LRS is much wider and taller, and fished at much higher drags than the 20. There was a curious design choice that gave  the 50 frame a weak spot near the gearbox.  Those broken TLD frame stories all seem to be about the 50LRS. 

As Alan noted, the TLD 20II is big enough to fish monofilament, which I think is a what defines a saltwater reel as old or new school.  Two speeds have been around a long time. 

If your heart is set on a 113, you might want to consider the standard 113 with 2:1 gear ratio instead of the 4:1 113H. If I don't get both high and low speed, I am going to choose low speed for big tuna.  Plus the lower gear ratio on a star drag means much less stress on the dog system, gear sleeve, and sleeve to handle arm junction, all stress points on the Senator reels. And half the gear ratio means twice the drag for the same clamping load.  It won't be so great for working irons, but the hardest part of landing a big fish is the winding, and once you try a low gear ratio, you'll never go back. Plus, while you will get the sideways glances with a 113H  on the group trips, you will get the full on smirk as well with the black plated 113 :)

Also in the star drag category,  look at some of the old Daiwas that competed with the Penn Senator line. They come stock with aluminum frames and are a bit of a sleeper. Don't own any myself, but there are some fans here that could steer you in the right direction. Bryan was making some aftermarket drag stacks for some models as well.

-J

FYI, the 113 has much smaller drags compared to the 113H and the stock 113H is 3.25:1, not 4:1 The Daiwa 400H is a nice reel and much stronger than the 113H. Already has an aluminum frame and sideplates. The Daiwa's have much less aftermarket parts available.

Thanks for the correction  on the the gear ratio.  3.25:1 on the 113H and 4.3:1 on the US113/Baja Special.  I'll go back and edit my post.

The larger the main gear, the larger diameter available for the drag washer, but the additional leverage from the higher gear ratio makes that a wash.  You need more torque for the same amount of drag with the higher ratio. 

-J

Finest Kind

Apples and orangutans here, a LR boat can not chase a fish like a private boat can.

Yes, I am amazed at the fish you West coast guys catch from party boats. The size of the YFT. Anything over #100 is noteworthy around here. That type of fishing is not well developed here in the NE. There are a few local party boats that make a few offshore overnight trips during the season, I have been on a couple.I would not recommend them.
John

Shellbelly

Quote from: Finest Kind on May 13, 2023, 08:56:01 PMApples and orangutans here, a LR boat can not chase a fish like a private boat can.

Yes, I am amazed at the fish you West coast guys catch from party boats. The size of the YFT. Anything over #100 is noteworthy around here. That type of fishing is not well developed here in the NE. There are a few local party boats that make a few offshore overnight trips during the season, I have been on a couple.I would not recommend them.
John
Me too!  Snapper are the target for most of the party boats in the Gulf of Mexico.  I call them meat boats.  Snapper fishing is boring IMO.  I won't go again.

What's new to me, is the "consideration of others" aspect in gear selection.  Because of the crowded conditions, one must select the class of gear used in addition to considering the class of fish expected to be hooked.  Similar to crowded pier fishing, just on a different scale and setting.

Pardon my ignorance because I am.  I'm a surf guy and have always had miles of elbow room.  I stay off the piers because of the crowds...and the territorial issues.  I've been on the boats and slid in the puke. 

I run the chance of hooking 7'+ bull sharks every time I throw bait...no matter what is holding my line.  I can't restrict my gear to 9/0 and up in case I "might".  I have to take my chances and deal with the consequences.

You LR boat guys have a temperament I do not possess.  I'm too much of a loner.  Hats off to you for what you do.  I appreciate the new perspective!   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

jurelometer

QuoteMe too!  Snapper are the target for most of the party boats in the Gulf of Mexico.  I call them meat boats.  Snapper fishing is boring IMO.  I won't go again.

Well, there is snapper fishing and there is snapper fishing.  I think that one of the great challenges in fishing in yanking a decent size snapper out of the rocks in shallows on a fly rod or light tackle.  I will take a shot at a 40 lb dog snapper over a 200lb yellowfin tuna any day.

-J

Finest Kind

Quote from: Shellbelly on May 14, 2023, 12:41:41 AMWhat's new to me, is the "consideration of others" aspect in gear selection.  Because of the crowded conditions, one must select the class of gear used in addition to considering the class of fish expected to be hooked.  Similar to crowded pier fishing, just on a different scale and setting.

Pardon my ignorance because I am.  I'm a surf guy and have always had miles of elbow room.  I stay off the piers because of the crowds...and the territorial issues.  I've been on the boats and slid in the puke.

Shellbelly,
On one of my ill-fated offshore party boat trips, a guy comes on with a 9' spinning rod, spooled with 15 or 20 lb mono. We will be fishing for BFT, probably 80 anglers on a 100' boat. We limited out, 80 or so guys times 4 tuna apiece, the bad old days. Pool fish was about #125.The guy with the spinning rod was tangling everyone on the boat. I have a fish on, and the spinning guy, who is directly opposite me on the other side of the boat starts yelling he's got one! Mate gaffs my fish, with Mr. Spinners line all wound up in my leader. The mate gets a gleam in his eye and ties the guys line to the rail. We can see him battling the keel through the cabin windows. Eventually his line breaks, a disappointment, but what a story! That fish had to be 100' long
John

Gfish

🤣Good and funny story. "Mr. Spinners"🤪. 80 guy's on 100' boat, great fishing, you just gotta have some fun.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

Quote from: jurelometer on May 14, 2023, 02:06:26 AMWell, there is snapper fishing and there is snapper fishing.
Yep.  I've had some fun with Vermillions, a few Lanes, and Greys. They're incidental for me when I'm hunting sheepshead around the jetty in spring.  I've never kept any and none have been much more than pan-size. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Benni3

This tread is off the hook,,,,, ;) I'm known for using the wrong grear,,,,,, ??? It's fun,,, ;) but when it comes down to it,,, you don't want to hook the fish of a lifetime and be under gunned,,,, >:(  wanting to build a 4/0 and pushing it to it's limits is great,,,, :-\ but really I should have got a raptor and been down with it,,,,, ;D

Keta

No one here is suggesting huge reels,  my minimum recommendation would be a Avet HX Raptor or Penn Fathom 40NLD2 size 2 speed reel.  For plus plus size BFT a Avet EX 30, Mak 30 or Penn International 20 size reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shellbelly

These "what do you think..." topics are really very good reading.  I'm being serious.  Folks spill their guts trying to help.  Naturally, there will be differing opinions, but every response is intended to help and I believe we all learn something every time. 8)

If I want to learn how to catch bluegill with a 14/0 or BFT with a spinner 33, I know where to ask and it'll be fun.

Bill B

Quote from: Shellbelly on May 16, 2023, 06:39:36 PMThese "what do you think..." topics are really very good reading.  I'm being serious.  Folks spill their guts trying to help.  Naturally, there will be differing opinions, but every response is intended to help and I believe we all learn something every time. 8)

If I want to learn how to catch bluegill with a 14/0 or BFT with a spinner 33, I know where to ask and it'll be fun.

If you want to catch a LMB on a 20/0 Benni is the one to ask 🤣
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shellbelly

Quote from: Bill B on May 17, 2023, 05:38:27 AMIf you want to catch a LMB on a 20/0 Benni is the one to ask 🤣
Everybody's got their own bucket list! ;D

Classtime

I appreciate all the advice. Now I'm looking at a pair of reels: 113hlw and a 114hl. The price is very good so I'm thinking, in the event of BFT, 40 pound mono on the 113 and a Truline 6'8" 20-50 rod and 60 or 80 pound on the 114 with the Seeker 550. I intend to spend most of the day with my Jigmasters and the YT but there is a chance to do a dropper or yo yo on the BFT.

(Clean, grease, oil, and new drag washers right away and SS sleeves later.)

Question: The two reels I'm looking at have red spools and the pictures don't clearly show a clicker. Do these models have clickers and is the red spool more or less as nice as the black ones?

Swami805

That both have clickers. The red spools are the same as the black ones, that made them red on their anniversary models
I wouldn't put the 114 on the 550, something shorter would be better. The 113 would be a little big for it but doable
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

I would take the red spools off and put them in a safe place.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain