Penn 116L - Good information (**SOLD**Want To Buy Penn 116L Parts)

Started by Blue Collar Bob, February 29, 2012, 10:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 02, 2012, 12:26:39 AM
Maybe we should wait for a reply from Alan and see what he can come up with.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I'm assuming that when the click tongue is engaged it contacts that piece on the spindle. That really is a great price on the side plate, ring and bearing. I wasn't expecting to see anything near that for new parts.

Makule

QuoteThe right side plate it from a 116A. I wasn't sure on the "L" designation.

My recollection is that the 116A is the 10/0 size, and the "L" designates an aluminum spool.  It would seem that the reel has two different side plates.  This is fine because there were no differences between the 10/0 and 12/0 except the width of the spool, reel seat, and spacer bars.

If I'm interpreting the image correctly, what you are showing is the shaft that comes out of the spool and not the bearing itself.  Replacing the bearing is an easy fix, but the shaft can only be removed from the spool with great difficulty (by a machinist).  It would be much cheaper to get another spool.

Can you post an image of what you are trying to repair?  It's kinda hard to imagine the shaft being cut off since that's a pretty substantial chunk of steel.  If it's the very end that's damaged, then it may be possible to weld on an extension and have it turned down.  Again, machinist's work, but not as costly as having to replace the entire shaft.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Makule on March 02, 2012, 03:31:38 AM
QuoteThe right side plate it from a 116A. I wasn't sure on the "L" designation.

My recollection is that the 116A is the 10/0 size, and the "L" designates an aluminum spool.  It would seem that the reel has two different side plates.  This is fine because there were no differences between the 10/0 and 12/0 except the width of the spool, reel seat, and spacer bars.

If I'm interpreting the image correctly, what you are showing is the shaft that comes out of the spool and not the bearing itself.  Replacing the bearing is an easy fix, but the shaft can only be removed from the spool with great difficulty (by a machinist).  It would be much cheaper to get another spool.

Can you post an image of what you are trying to repair?  It's kinda hard to imagine the shaft being cut off since that's a pretty substantial chunk of steel.  If it's the very end that's damaged, then it may be possible to weld on an extension and have it turned down.  Again, machinist's work, but not as costly as having to replace the entire shaft.

The shaft appears to be original and extends to seat fully into the bearing. There is no sign of damage to the shaft, so I assume the toothed piece simply slips onto the shaft. I'll take a photo and post up in the morning. Working graveyard shift tonight.

You are correct on the side plate. The right side plate is from a 10/0, while the spool, spacer bars and etc. are 12/0.

Thanks for the input, Bob

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 02, 2012, 12:33:58 AM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1792.msg8660#msg8660

Maybe this could help identify the part. You could also use it to reassemble...if needed.

Alto Mare, I don't know How I missed your message. You don't know how much I appreciate the tutorial thread that you linked in your post. This is the first time I have owned or attempted to work on a Senator and you can bet that I found your tutorial before I attempted to tear the reel down. You did a great job on that. I don't see the part in your thread that appears in the schematic. From the exploded diagram it looks like the part goes on the spool shaft on the non-handle side. Does a part go on here?(Alto Mare's Photo):

Doesn't the click tongue have to click on something? Or, maybe I am completely off base on how I think it works. I will definitely post some pics when I get home in the morning.

Maxed Out

Bob, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers and everything associated with them, but Sal has another tutorial that may show exaclty what you need to see(16/0 penn, basically same as your 12/0), perhaps you could transfer over a couple pics from this thread to show everyone what part you are talking about. I think pic #9 and #20 are the 2 pics that pertain to the clicker on the sideplate and the clicker mechanism on the spool.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1738.0
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 02, 2012, 06:00:27 AM
Bob, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to computers and everything associated with them, but Sal has another tutorial that may show exaclty what you need to see(16/0 penn, basically same as your 12/0), perhaps you could transfer over a couple pics from this thread to show everyone what part you are talking about. I think pic #9 and #20 are the 2 pics that pertain to the clicker on the sideplate and the clicker mechanism on the spool.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1738.0

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

Alto Mare's Photo. This is it:

Blue Collar Bob

(Edit to insert correct photos)

I'm no photographer, but here are some photos of the spool:

Maxed Out

So Bob, your picture shows the pinion gear side of your spool, and it looks fine. The clicker gear is on the other end of your spool(not in your picture). Is it the clicker gear you have a question about ???

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 02, 2012, 05:19:31 PM
So Bob, your picture shows the pinion gear side of your spool, and it looks fine. The clicker gear is on the other end of your spool(not in your picture). Is it the clicker gear you have a question about ???

My bad. Fixed it. That was a rush job early this morning.

Maxed Out

Holy moley Bob, your clicker gear is completely gone........ouch

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 02, 2012, 09:30:17 PM
Holy moley Bob, your clicker gear is completely gone........ouch

Dang it. I was hoping that clicker gear was keyed to fit the shaft. Why isn't the shaft completely round? Arghh!!!  ??? >:( ??? :( ???

Blue Collar Bob

Is the click drag permanently affixed to the 116L spools? Can a part be adapted from another reel in the series? 14/0, or 16/0? If I have to hunt down another spool, this project probably won't be cost effective. Any suggestions?

Marlinmate

Why do you need it?     Fish without the clicker and the project becomes affordable and immediately do-able.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Bryan Young

I have never seen this part separate from the spool.  If anyone knows, Sal will.

If you need the clicker, it may be easier to find a young person to go fishing with you and have him/her watch the reel and their sole job is to yell when line start peeling off.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Marlinmate on March 03, 2012, 12:22:59 AM
Why do you need it?     Fish without the clicker and the project becomes affordable and immediately do-able.

One reason these reels are popular with land-based shark fishermen is that the loud clickers are easily heard over the surf and at night. Its basically like cat fishing. It wouldn't take long for some sharks to spool you if they picked up the bait while you were occupied with something else.

It doesn't look like the part would be hard to fabricate. I may give that a shot, or set it on the shelf until another parts reel pops up. Regardless, I'm learning a lot and this won't be the last Senator I mess with.