Penn 116L - Good information (**SOLD**Want To Buy Penn 116L Parts)

Started by Blue Collar Bob, February 29, 2012, 10:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Collar Bob

I've been an unregistered lurker here for a while, now. Congratulations on developing the most informative reel repair site on the net.

I've recently purchased an old chrome spooled 12/0 Senator that was listed as a parts reel. My intent is to repair it and put it into service land-based shark fishing. Purchasing replacement parts new would cost more than buying a complete reel, so I'm in scrounge mode looking for serviceable used parts for the pricier stuff.

When I disassembled the reel I found that the left side plate had a broken section around the rim that was held together by the inner and outer ring. Its missing a handle. One outer ring is split. One inner ring is pretty misshapen. On the clicker side of the spool, its missing the toothed piece. This piece shows on the parts diagram, but I don't see a name or part number.

The parts don't have to be pretty. Just serviceable. I plan to fish it, not set it on a shelf.

So, parts wanted:

12/0, or 14/0 Handle

Left non-handle side plate 27-116

Outer Ring 2-116-O

Inner Ring 2-116-I

Unknown Clicker Component

I greatly appreciate any and all help bringing this old reel back to life. Thanks, Bob

alantani

i have some time in the garage tomorrow and i will take a look.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

oh, and welcome!  and thanks for the great avatar!

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: alantani on February 29, 2012, 11:27:53 PM
i have some time in the garage tomorrow and i will take a look.  alan

Thanks, Alan. I feel bad jumping straight from registering to asking for help. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute to the site in some way in the future.

alantani

no problem.  that's what we're here for!

Maxed Out

A very good friend of mine owns a long time reel repair business and I may be able to get some of your listed parts for very cheap..........I'll go see him tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

BTW, if your reel has a chromed spool then it is a 116, the 116L has a black aluminum spool("L" stands for aluminum)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Welcome Bob.  I hope you can get your part.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Bryan, you need to come up north and catch a reel fish that you could put in your avatar....and yes we do get a few sunny days in July and August along with some darn good king salmon opportunities. Whatya waitin' fur....and bring Alan with you.

Sorry for the hi-jack.......Back to the topic.

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 01, 2012, 12:56:42 AM
A very good friend of mine owns a long time reel repair business and I may be able to get some of your listed parts for very cheap..........I'll go see him tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

BTW, if your reel has a chromed spool then it is a 116, the 116L has a black aluminum spool("L" stands for aluminum)

That is very generous of you. Thanks.

I'll bet this old reel has an interesting history. You can tell it has been opened up plenty. The right side plate it from a 116A. I wasn't sure on the "L" designation. I remember reading that about the 115 series. Thanks for the info.

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2012, 01:09:22 AM
Welcome Bob.  I hope you can get your part.

I've read enough to know that you play an important role in the success of this site. Thanks, Bryan

alantani

i've got a stash of old side plates and rings.  there are some big ones in there, but we have to find them first!   :-\

Maxed Out

Hello Bob, I went to see my parts guy this morning. He does not have an inner ring and I didn't ask about a handle because he probably wanted too much for it, but he does have these parts (all new parts):

clicker sideplate

bearing for clicker sideplate

outer chrome ring

He said a $50 bill would cover those 3 parts, thats at least 30% off retail for those parts.....Just the clicker sideplate retails for $42 + tax without the bearing. If you want the parts I could ship them for an additional $5.

The clicker mechanism is built into the sideplate, so when you buy a new sideplate, your clicker will be 100% new and is included with the price.

Tight Lines, Ted

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 01, 2012, 06:25:27 PM
Hello Bob, I went to see my parts guy this morning. He does not have an inner ring and I didn't ask about a handle because he probably wanted too much for it, but he does have these parts (all new parts):

clicker sideplate

bearing for clicker sideplate

outer chrome ring

He said a $50 bill would cover those 3 parts, thats at least 30% off retail for those parts.....Just the clicker sideplate retails for $42 + tax without the bearing. If you want the parts I could ship them for an additional $5.

The clicker mechanism is built into the sideplate, so when you buy a new sideplate, your clicker will be 100% new and is included with the price.

Tight Lines, Ted

Sounds like a great deal to me! Do you know if this is the bearing for the clicker side plate you mentioned?:

That's the piece I'm missing that isn't named on the schematic. Starting to worry that the only way to get it is with a spool.

If you want to PM the payment details, that would be great. Thanks Max Doubt.

Maxed Out

Maybe we should wait for a reply from Alan and see what he can come up with. The bearing I'm referring to in the parts I listed is the bearing that goes into the clicker sideplate. The spindle you pictured goes into that sideplate bearing.

Alan might have some parts that would work that might save ya some dough from these new parts. I'm sure it might take him a while to rummage thru his garage full of reel stuff.

Oh, and I'm not sure about the part you showed, hopefully it can be located.

Alto Mare

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1792.msg8660#msg8660

Maybe this could help identify the part. You could also use it to reassemble...if needed.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.