Penn 116L - Good information (**SOLD**Want To Buy Penn 116L Parts)

Started by Blue Collar Bob, February 29, 2012, 10:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

The clicker gears look to be chrome/brass, you wont be able to weld the spool shaft to it.You could braze the part on if you find one, I don't know what that would do to the chrome though  :-\
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 04, 2012, 10:43:58 PM
The clicker gears look to be chrome/brass, you wont be able to weld the spool shaft to it.You could braze the part on if you find one, I don't know what that would do to the chrome though  :-\

I didn't expect to hear that. I was guessing that they were stainless. Just figured if they were chrome plated you would see brass where the chrome rubbed off of the teeth. Thanks for the heads up.

Makule

Quote from: Blue Collar Bob on March 04, 2012, 11:50:41 PM
Quote from: Squirmypug on March 04, 2012, 10:43:58 PM

I didn't expect to hear that. I was guessing that they were stainless. Just figured if they were chrome plated you would see brass where the chrome rubbed off of the teeth. Thanks for the heads up.

The ratchet sprocket is SS.  My file just told me so.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

I'm thinking if it was chromed brass it would have still been there, only smaller.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Squirmypug

Thats good, all my reels click gears are chromed..I know because on most of them it is falling off  :'(
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Irish Jigger

Would it be possible to drill and tap two holes  (diametrically opposite) through the ratchet and spool shaft and fit grub screws to retain the ratchet? Not too sure how hard the sprocket is. :-\

Alto Mare

A 10/0 went off last night for around $130, I was hoping that Bob would jump on it, I sent him the link. I would have gladly paid him $50+ shipping for the guts and he would have had a decent spool and a lot of other goodies.
Bob, I'm thinking that maybe you're not interested in a narrow 12/0? The 10/0 is still a nice reel, just a little narrower. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Sal, that 9500SS went for $251. More than I expected!

Squirmypug

Theres a 12/0 on CL here for $350 with rod, may be worth looking into if he will sell the reel without the rod. http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/spo/2862902157.html

Alto Mare

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 05, 2012, 12:59:08 PM

I know :o. We need to have a meeting with Justin, we should stop bragging about these reels ...... soon we won't be able to find any for ourselves:-\

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 05, 2012, 06:02:17 PM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 05, 2012, 12:59:08 PM

I know :o. We need to have a meeting with Justin, we should stop bragging about these reels ...... soon we won't be able to find any for ourselves:-\

I'm having the same probem on a much cheeper scale trying to get a nice Surfmaster 150 and 100 to put next to my v-good 200.  I'm also trying to find good/ok Surfmaster 150 and 100 reels to fish with but they go for more than I've been willing to bid.  I did pick up a 150 w/spare spool and box for less than $30. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Surfmaster 100 and 150's are going for around $30 here although shipping to the US is probably another $25.
I will keep a lookout for a good one if you wish.
The local Penn rep tells me that they are becoming much sought after in the UK by collectors. ;)

Keta

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it.   
I'm planning on using a 100 for live bait albacore and river salmon (and try swimbait for dorado in Baja), the few 150s for albacore and ocean salmon trolling.  I don't see a big issue with 3:1 gearing, I can get 12lb of drag out of them and both take enough 40lb spectra. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 05, 2012, 12:10:00 PM
A 10/0 went off last night for around $130, I was hoping that Bob would jump on it, I sent him the link. I would have gladly paid him $50+ shipping for the guts and he would have had a decent spool and a lot of other goodies.
Bob, I'm thinking that maybe you're not interested in a narrow 12/0? The 10/0 is still a nice reel, just a little narrower. Sal

Sorry Alto Mare. I should have commented on your link to the 10/0. I already had that reel in my watch list and made a lowball offer of $125. Thing is, had I won the reel, I'd still want a 12/0. I'm hoping to fish the FL Panhandle in the future. The experienced guys fish FL with big reels spooled with heavy mono to reduce cut offs on shell and coral. Actually, more and more people seem to be loading 14/0 and 16/0 reels with 130lb - 200lb mono.

I bought the parts reel for $75.00 shipped. So far, I've only invested in a HT100 drag set, new side plate screws, dog, got spring and retaining nuts for the clamp. I don't have a lot in it. If I can repair it on the cheap, that's great. If I don't find another parts reel, I can always buy a nice one and have spare parts on hand, if needed.

Makule

You know that you don't really need the ratchet to make the reel work, right?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.