Penn 116L - Good information (**SOLD**Want To Buy Penn 116L Parts)

Started by Blue Collar Bob, February 29, 2012, 10:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 06, 2012, 04:46:57 AM

Makule, you got one of those ratatata thingys?  I'm not sure how it works, but I think line is wrapped around it and when line goes out, it goes ratatatat.

You mean the "gata gata"?  Nope, have never even seen one and really don't care to.  Try to keep my fishing as quiet as possible.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Panama on March 06, 2012, 02:44:32 AM
Sorry if I appear to be lazy...but there is alot of info to read in order to catch up.  Do you need the clicker ring that attaches to the sideplate, the spool, or both?  I can try to help if you let me know exactly what you trying to replace.

Wow! I've got some catching up to do myself. The side plate has the click tongue and spring. The gear, or ratchet, that should be attached to the spool is missing.

As for the talk about bells and etc., this vid was posted on sharksonthesand.com. Pretty cool, I just want to keep things as simple as possible:

Basic How To Shark Alarm Video

Blue Collar Bob

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

QuoteAnyone here think I should go for the second Miami listing for the 12/0 where the clicker doesn't work?

At least you won't need to find all the other parts to make a "complete" reel.  $100 for such a reel, even if the ratchet doesn't work, is cheap.

I'm now vaguely remembering that many years ago, we did re-attach sprockets that came off from the Pfleuger Templar reels by simply soldering them back.  Used low temp. silver solder if I recall correctly.  Will look at some of my reels to see if we actually did that.  Forty years ago is a long time to be recalling that kind of detail.

Irish Jigger

I have secured them by punch locking.

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Makule on March 06, 2012, 09:00:33 AM
QuoteAnyone here think I should go for the second Miami listing for the 12/0 where the clicker doesn't work?

At least you won't need to find all the other parts to make a "complete" reel.  $100 for such a reel, even if the ratchet doesn't work, is cheap.

I'm now vaguely remembering that many years ago, we did re-attach sprockets that came off from the Pfleuger Templar reels by simply soldering them back.  Used low temp. silver solder if I recall correctly.  Will look at some of my reels to see if we actually did that.  Forty years ago is a long time to be recalling that kind of detail.

I agree. That's a great price. I was just kidding, because the clicker is the main hang up on the reel I'm working on. If I had bought the reel in the Miami ad, I would be much better off. The reel I have now has issues other than the clicker.

One good thing about solder is if it didn't hold up I could re-solder or clean it up and try something different. I just need to find the part.

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 06, 2012, 09:43:43 AM

Punch locking? Is that striking a punch at the joint?

Blue Collar Bob

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Blue Collar Bob on March 06, 2012, 11:50:06 AM
Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 06, 2012, 09:43:43 AM

Punch locking? Is that striking a punch at the joint?

Re second photograph on page 2 of this thread.
Try centre  punching in 4 places around the  clicker/spindle joint.(careful supporting of spool reqd.)
I still think it may be possible to drill and tap two holes at spindle flats and secure with grub screws.

Keta

Different terms from different palces

punch lock= staking
grub screw=?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Hi Keta.Yes different places ;D

Staking =punch locking.   
Grub screw=screwed rod with female hex for driving (ref attachment.)
                                                                                                                                                                             http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/navigation.asp?fType=fasteners&MainCategoryID=19&ProductCategoryID=59241

Keta

Grub screw=allen set screw in fronteer giberish :o
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

Got my 14/0 back a couple of days ago.  Looked very nice and clean, not like how I loan it out to a friend.  Though he, or someone, did a good job.  Ratchet didn't work so I opened it up and found no sprocket.  Is this contagious or what?

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Makule on March 14, 2012, 04:56:42 AM
Got my 14/0 back a couple of days ago.  Looked very nice and clean, not like how I loan it out to a friend.  Though he, or someone, did a good job.  Ratchet didn't work so I opened it up and found no sprocket.  Is this contagious or what?

Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear that. Are you going to try to replace the sprocket.