Penn 116L - Good information (**SOLD**Want To Buy Penn 116L Parts)

Started by Blue Collar Bob, February 29, 2012, 10:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Collar Bob

Quote from: Panama on March 06, 2012, 02:44:32 AMSorry if I appear to be lazy...but there is alot of info to read in order to catch up.  Do you need the clicker ring that attaches to the sideplate, the spool, or both?  I can try to help if you let me know exactly what you trying to replace.

Wow! I've got some catching up to do myself. The side plate has the click tongue and spring. The gear, or ratchet, that should be attached to the spool is missing.

As for the talk about bells and etc., this vid was posted on sharksonthesand.com. Pretty cool, I just want to keep things as simple as possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9o_WPbet9M&feature=player_embedded

Squirmypug

Makule, night fishing for shark the clicker really helps.  ;)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Dominick

Bob:  I've been following this thread but have not had anything to add.  I would bet (though I don't know) that the ratchet is the same size on several size reels.  Assuming that the ratchet can be removed and pressed onto your spool it might behoove you to first find out the size of the ratchet and which of the ratchets are the same size and shoot for a parts reel on ebay or Craig's list or someone of the members here has a ratty spool that they would not mind giving up.  Good luck!  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

Quote from: Pescachaser on March 06, 2012, 12:19:16 AM
Bob:  I've been following this thread but have not had anything to add.  I would bet (though I don't know) that the ratchet is the same size on several size reels.  Assuming that the ratchet can be removed and pressed onto your spool it might behoove you to first find out the size of the ratchet and which of the ratchets are the same size and shoot for a parts reel on ebay or Craig's list or someone of the members here has a ratty spool that they would not mind giving up.  Good luck!  Dominick

It's quite possible that it's the same for the 12/0.  I'll check.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Panama

Sorry if I appear to be lazy...but there is alot of info to read in order to catch up.  Do you need the clicker ring that attaches to the sideplate, the spool, or both?  I can try to help if you let me know exactly what you trying to replace.
Get on the water, Man!!!

Dominick

Anthony:  The gear that activates the clicker and is attached to the spool.  Could you check your Penn box to see if you have one for Bob.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Makule

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 06, 2012, 12:17:58 AM
Makule, night fishing for shark the clicker really helps.  ;)

We just hang a bell from the rod so if anything bites, the bell will ring, and we'll know something's on.  I've also made an electronic alarm (car alarm) that I hang on the rod (sometimes the bell isn't loud enough).   Shown below is an image of my 14/0 with the bell (made of round SS tubing) hanging on it.  It's standard with much of our casting rigs here.

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Quote from: Panama on March 06, 2012, 02:44:32 AM
Sorry if I appear to be lazy...but there is alot of info to read in order to catch up.  Do you need the clicker ring that attaches to the sideplate, the spool, or both?  I can try to help if you let me know exactly what you trying to replace.

You need both, plus the "tongue" that the spring holds (the "ring", as you describe it).  The circular spring holds the tongue in the sprocket grooves when engaged.  As the spool turns, the tongue rides over the tooth and then falls into the next groove.  This action is what makes the noise.

Squirmypug

I like your bell, some people here use them on the small rods but they also use small bells.Looks like yours would be alot louder than any I've seen, I may have to make one of those for myself  :)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Makule

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 06, 2012, 03:38:28 AM
I like your bell, some people here use them on the small rods but they also use small bells.Looks like yours would be alot louder than any I've seen, I may have to make one of those for myself  :)

I kid you not, some guys here go nuts and make (and use) bells that are about 8" across at the bottom.  My electronic car alarms "bells" are far louder than any of those, however (and much lighter).

Alto Mare

My next trip to hawaii, I have to try this craziness.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 06, 2012, 04:14:17 AM
My next trip to hawaii, I have to try this craziness.

I have plenty of craziness for the both of us when you come.  Stay long enough so you can do at least one overnight "holo holo" trip.

Panama

Quote from: Makule on March 06, 2012, 03:26:44 AM
Quote from: Panama on March 06, 2012, 02:44:32 AM
You need both, plus the "tongue" that the spring holds (the "ring", as you describe it).  The circular spring holds the tongue in the sprocket grooves when engaged.  As the spool turns, the tongue rides over the tooth and then falls into the next groove.  This action is what makes the noise.
I can see if I can get my hands on a click tounge (36-115) but the ratchet, if am not mistaking, is attached to the shaft which is attached to the spool.  If I am right about that, I can see about a spool. Fill in if I am missing any info guys...
Get on the water, Man!!!

Bryan Young

Anthony, you got that right.  The piece that is secured to the spool.

Makule, you got one of those ratatata thingys?  I'm not sure how it works, but I think line is wrapped around it and when line goes out, it goes ratatatat.

Yup, we even wrap tubes on our rods so that the bell wire than bet inserted and hand from the rod and not the guides.  You can make different ones for different wounds...square, round,...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D