Tile's reel pictures

Started by Tile, May 06, 2012, 08:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

I repaired a solid fiberglass rod that was laying around due to a broken silicon carbide guide insert and decided that it would need a reel. I purchased a low end multiplier named Lineaeffe JD 300. The reel got a set of carbon fiber drag washers assorted with Cal's grease,  better stand screws, strengthened yoke posts and the play in the levelwind was substantially reduced.

In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

Looks like a nic little setup
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

Thanks. For a secondary combo I wanted a reel that wouldn't break the bank and still have potential for upgrades and improvements.

I tested the reel's max drag in an open stand and I got a shade under 5 lbs - not bad for a 30$ reel. Also the carbon fiber washer upgrade radically transforms any reel that is fortunate to have it done.

Tile

I painted the sideplates on the Lineaeffe multiplier in black both on the inside and the outside and the result is excellent  :) .

Alto Mare

They look very nice Tile. I've never seen reels with belly button earrings before ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tile

The plastic stoppers are there with a meaning - to prevent the line from coming out of sync with the levelwind.

Alto Mare

Very clever Tile. By the way the reel that you painted looks very nice, what type of paint did you use?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

hi tile,  can you run through the method you used  pls

Tile

The painting process is very simple. At first I stripped all the parts from the sideplates, sanded the external surfaces with 1000 grit sandpaper, degreased them and started painting. The paint is applied in small strokes taking care to get it in all the crevices and screw holes. I allowed 10-15 minutes between the layers and touched it up where necessary. After one hour I assembled the parts that are attached to them and reassembled the reel.
The paint used is a quick drying german made spray paint.

wallacewt

thank you
i,ve never tried to paint a reel before
and have 1/2 dozen to do.

Scrappy jr.

I'm new to the forum! Alan schooled me on the Carbontex drag and anti reverse upgrade on my Toriums and when I ordered my drags and saw the jumbo Tbar I had to have them!

Tile

The graphite bodied reels are easy to paint. Instead the metal bodied ones should be painted by a professional for best results.

Bryan Young

To me, the biggest issue would be the degreasing process.  if you don't remove all of the grease and oils, the paint comes out like your hand and feet after it's been soaking in water for 1 hour or more.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

The Lineaefe reel will be given away to one of my relatives and I got a Fladen Maxximus 777NB to take its place. This reel is 98% carbon copy of the older Abu 7000 series.

josef23

Nice display of reel. The metal looks very strong used in the main body of reels.