1+7 Drag Stack in a 114H Senator

Started by George4741, June 21, 2012, 04:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 06, 2012, 02:38:57 AM
Quote from: George4741 on July 06, 2012, 02:07:52 AM
 I can't prove my theory, but I feel better about using flat washers.  And, it's all about making me feel good. ;D    
George, when you feel good we feel good ;). Cheers!

I luv you guys, and this forum. :-*
viurem lliures o morirem

JasonF

Its funny to hear mention of the cupped keyed washers.  I thought I was the only one bothered by that.  When I was working on my 9/0 I had the washers lined up in front of me.  When I went to pick one up my desk lamp revealed a shadow under it and my calipers confirmed it.  I solved it with a 300/600 grit 12" diamond stone with light pressure over the center hole to provide even removal of material after using a Sharpie pen on both sides first to confirm my work.  Worked like a champ.

Bryan Young

By doing this, did you end up with uneven thickness fr the edges compared to the center?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonF

No.  You do end up with slightly thinner washers.  It is imperative to apply light, even pressure directly over the hole.  I used rifle cleaning patches to protect my finger and confirmed eveness with the calipers.  I was suprised how little material needed to be removed. 

redsetta

Quote...did you end up with uneven thickness fr the edges compared to the center?
Wondered the same thing meself.
It may be a bit agricultural, but I generally put the washers on an anvil and whack 'em with a hammer. ;) ;D
Once I've put some manners on 'em, I'll finish off with fine grit wet n dry etc.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

JasonF

Bryan Young

I wonder if it really makes a difference.  I wish we could experiment given the same reel and carbonfiber washers, just different metal washers.  Not just on a scale, but some 50 yard runs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 06, 2012, 03:34:41 AM
By doing this, did you end up with uneven thickness fr the edges compared to the center?

Start on the cupped side and hone until flat, turn washer over and checking often with a micrometer work the other side down until it's sides are parallel with the first side......it's faster/easier for me to take a drawing to the water cutter now.   I'm thinking about making a "test bench" using my ATV "knot tester" to put some "50yd" runs on one of these reels set up this way.

Last night I was sorting thru a pile of Carbontex washers I have and noticed that washers from a ABU 7000 were close to the same size as 113H washers and .020 thick.  The OD was slightly larger and the ID considerably smaller so I broke out my Dremml, opened up the ID and removed a little on the OD with a fine file and got 5 of the .020 Carbontex to fit in the gear, using one .060 stock Penn keyed washer on bottom, .037 keyed and eared stock Penn washers untill the last .060 keyed washer on the top.  The .020 thick Carbontex washers will do the same in a 349H.

BTW, with a pair of eared washers for backing the thin .020 Carbontex washers come out looking good, the OD didn't take much though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on July 03, 2012, 12:46:20 PM
A mix up with the water cutter ended up with me having 10 sets of .035" 349H metal washer rather than the Daiwa 50 washers I wanted.  Last night I got out a 349H gear and started looking in to sticking in 2 more washers.  I noticed the milled grooves for the eared washers was not full depth with .035" keyed washers and thin Carbontex washers and the ears bottomed out.  This might be a non issue with the 114H and the slightly thicker Penn metal washers.  I "fixed" the problem by using a thicker bottom keyed washer and still have room for the extra thin washers.
Now I need a 114H to tinker with.

Lee, are you thinking of putting a 1+7 drag stack into a 349H? 

viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on July 07, 2012, 03:18:08 AM

Yes, they will fit and as soon as I get some #59 washers I'll put one together.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Harry

Gday all,   reels like the squidders need a bigger drag stack more than a 6/0 , any way to do this ?

a little off topic but just putting it out there.

You  can  all continue on , i to have tried to use as many washers in the gears as i can .

continue on.....

George4741

Harry, I don't think the squidder main gear is deep enough to accept anything greater than a 1+3 drag stack.

Quote from: Keta on July 07, 2012, 06:09:21 AM
Quote from: George4741 on July 07, 2012, 03:18:08 AM

Yes, they will fit and as soon as I get some #59 washers I'll put one together.
Keep us updated on your progress.  I'm very interested in how this works out.
viurem lliures o morirem

Harry

Yes George the main gear is indeed very shallow , thinking of maybe trying to take out some material to deepen it, or maybe there is a compatible main gear that is deeper and maybe with some dremel work on the sideplate it can work /fit .

OR   maybe i should just be fishing with  jigmasters  instead of squidders of the beach.   Squidders do cast well tho and are the right size.

Alto Mare

Harry, I believe that it would be a good idea to leave that squidder as is.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.