1+7 Drag Stack in a 114H Senator

Started by George4741, June 21, 2012, 04:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Yes, but I'm not sure if they still replace them. You already carved yours , so don't worry about it. I'm sure they'll do just fine.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Update on my 114H with the 1+7 drag washer stack.  Early on in this thread I tested my reel to 45.8 lbs drag.  I used a weighted bucket to arrive at that figure.  I've since bought a digital fish scale and the reel benches at 43 lbs drag.  This is a straight pull, not pulling through a bent rod and guides.  I think this is more than enough for a 6/0 reel. ;D

Additionally, my black 114 with a 1+7 drag stack tested at 36 lbs.  Not too shabby for the old boy.

Question; are digital scales suitable for this purpose, or should I get a spring scale?
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

A digital should work but if you are looking for a spring scale I have a pile of 8lb ones and not as many 16lb ones I'm selling cheep.  I can get 50lb ones for a good price, all hecho en los Estados Unidos.  If you upgrade the drags on a large Internatoinal ;D I can get 150lb spring scales but they run around $35.00 ea.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Scales are good, but to me the most accurate way is to lift a bucket with the rod...just watch your back or the ceiling ;D. I would take it outside. With that kind of pressure, you should be strapped to something :-\. I lifted 25lb with my tank and it wasn't easy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Keta on July 29, 2012, 11:21:49 PM
A digital should work but if you are looking for a spring scale I have a pile of 8lb ones and not as many 16lb ones I'm selling cheep.  I can get 50lb ones for a good price, all hecho en los Estados Unidos. 

Es una buena cosa. ;)  BTW I'm hoping we'll soon hear of the 1+7 drag results on your 349H.  I think Albert already did his. 

viurem lliures o morirem

Makule

Quote from: George4741 on July 31, 2012, 01:32:21 AM
Quote from: Keta on July 29, 2012, 11:21:49 PM
A digital should work but if you are looking for a spring scale I have a pile of 8lb ones and not as many 16lb ones I'm selling cheep.  I can get 50lb ones for a good price, all hecho en los Estados Unidos. 

Es una buena cosa. ;)  BTW I'm hoping we'll soon hear of the 1+7 drag results on your 349H.  I think Albert already did his.  

Albert did but he's busy with work and campaigning right now.  Initial (no break-in) numbers were something like 25 lb straight out from the reel.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

sidisdabest1

Hi all. So i just did the 7+1 upgrade and i can only get 25lb of drag, any suggestions on the problem, i cant figure it out. thanks

Bryan Young

My first guess is that the groves in the main gear isn't deep enough and needs to be dremeled deeper. I found it in some gears and the first eared washer teeters in that slot.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sidisdabest1

Thanks bery much Bryan, i will give that a go.☺

sidisdabest1

Just opened her up and the grooves that the eared washers go in go all the way to the bottom. Any thoughts? Thanks

Alto Mare

They usually do.
If you're able to show a pic of your layout, do so.  Seems like something is out of place.
By the way, how much drag are you planting on getting with those, you're right at around where you're going to be, maybe 3-4 lbs more.
Those are a good upgrade, your reel will feel very smooth throughout, but don't think you'll be pulling the same numbers as we do with the inserts.

Sal

sidisdabest1

Yeah might just get the insert anyway, seems like the way to go. Thanks for your help

Alto Mare

A little misunderstanding there. I don't see anything wrong with Bryan's kit, I like them so much that I have a bunch.
All I said was, don't compare the numbers with the kit and the inserts, the inserts will give you higher numbers, but not necessarily better.
Using Bryan's kit or the inserts, you should be able to have it feel very smooth at 25# and that's where we want to be at with that reel.
25# will get you anything in the water.

Sal

sidisdabest1

I dont have bryans kit, i just got 7 #45c carbontex washers and ground flat washers from smoooooth drag and installed them and was hopeing for a bit more drag

Alto Mare

Quote from: sidisdabest1 on March 13, 2016, 06:41:09 AM
I dont have bryans kit, i just got 7 #45c carbontex washers and ground flat washers from smoooooth drag and installed them and was hopeing for a bit more drag
I'm not aware of a 1+7 kit from Penn for that reel, so it has to be Bryan's kit. I believe smooth drag carries Bryan's Ultimate Kits.
I know what a #45c is, but what's do you mean by a flat ground washer?

Here is a pic with stock metal washers and the 45c

this would never work
Here is a pic of what I think you have

this is the Ultimate kit and it would work.
The height is of 6.3mm, vs14.3mm from the one above.
Your problem might be related to the spring washer or last metal washer above, it might be as simple as you needing to add another keyed washer on top, or replace the last thin washer with a stock washer.

Sal