1+7 Drag Stack in a 114H Senator

Started by George4741, June 21, 2012, 04:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

It sounds like he bought 7 Penn HT-100 washers and a set of Dawn's metal washers Sal.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 13, 2016, 03:18:01 PM
It sounds like he bought 7 Penn HT-100 washers and a set of Dawn's metal washers Sal.
Lee, I'm still not sure what he has, that's why I've mentioned for him to post a pic. I know that the 45c carbon fiber washers are .5mm in thickness, but I was not aware that Dawn sells ground flat metal washers, I don't even know what they are :-\.
Do they ground down stock metal washers?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

He created his own 7+1 drag stack. Dawn has metal washers that are placed on a flat grinding surface and are absolutely flat. He then mated them with Carbontex45C washers which was Sal said is 0.5 mm or 0.020" thick. SmoothDrag 's ground flat metal washers are about the same thickness as stock metal washers. I was playing with this set up but decided to cut thinner metal washers and use HT-100s instead. In a recent upgrade, I had to replace 2 of the HT-100 of the 7 In the stack with 45C washers because it just didn't fit well in the main gear.   I haven't tested the drag numbers yet though. And cannot on the other because the reel doesn't have any line on it.

I also discovered that the last of the USA made reels had 11- hole side plates with 5-hole rings. Just thought I'd share this information just in case you are looking for reel parts and the last of the USA made 114H reels are very reasonably priced sixth the graphite frame and 5-hole rings.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sidisdabest1

Bryan is correct as to what i have done. Sorry i can not post any photos as i am not home for a few days.

Bryan Young

Quote from: sidisdabest1 on March 13, 2016, 07:25:55 PM
Bryan is correct as to what i have done. Sorry i can not post any photos as i am not home for a few days.
I have found that drag washers that can compress will have slightly higher drag numbers that ones that don't compress. I don't understand why.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sidisdabest1

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 14, 2016, 04:18:15 AM
Quote from: sidisdabest1 on March 13, 2016, 07:25:55 PM
I have found that drag washers that can compress will have slightly higher drag numbers that ones that don't compress. I don't understand why.
After learning this, I have revised several of my drag kits to use 0.5 mm thick drag washers and 0.76 mm, 1.0 mm, and/or 1.2 mm thick Carbontex washers when possible.