drag rebuild on a penn 285 delmar

Started by jamesnashtonbrady, September 27, 2012, 05:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesnashtonbrady

im waiting on new drag washers for my penn 285 delmar. can anyone help me on how to replace them also are there and mods or builds i can do on this reel to make it better then it already is. thanks for the help

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

here's the schematic.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/285m.pdf

here a tutorial that is close.  
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0

take a look and please let us know how it works out.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

The 285 Del Mar is a good reel to start on. It's simple and there's not much to go wrong. If you replace the original drag washers with greased (use Cal's or Shimano Drag grease) carbon fiber drag washers (either HT-100 or Carbontex), you'll make the reel as good as it can get. The frame isn't strong enough to tolerate bumping up the drag.  Depending on your hands and how you fish, you might want to get a handle with a larger knob -- the Penn 024 066 is a marked improvement over the stock Penn 024 155 -- but the reel will fish just fine stock but with new drag washers.

The only trick is to make sure the dog spring doesn't fly out when you remove the bridge. Be careful there. And then use all three hands when you reinstall the bridge, dog and dog spring.

Good luck.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

jamesnashtonbrady

after posting this i remembered that  i had taken all the guts from a old 285 with a cracked side plate. so i went threw all my stuff and founf it and pulled it apart and took the drag out disk by disk. man is it easy. now just to wait for my new drag to get here. also do they  make a frame upgrade or replacement for this reel? that would be a great upgrade

akfish

The insides of the 285 are identical to the Long Beach 60, so that's an upgrade -- metal rings on the inner sides of the side plates. I think that's about the only "upgrade" available for a 285.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

jamesnashtonbrady

will the side plat from a penn long beach 60 fir my penn delmar/

Alto Mare

I would try it, they have the same guts.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jamesnashtonbrady

cause it has like a cover were the main gear comes threw that the delmar don so there is a open spot on my reel were #### gets in it. im just wondering if i need to go ahead and get the long beach main gear sleeve as well or if the one i have will work. idk if the long beach sleeve is longer or not

jamesnashtonbrady

now only to find the penn 60 long beach rings.

Alto Mare

Quote from: jamesnashtonbrady on September 27, 2012, 10:49:08 PM
cause it has like a cover were the main gear comes threw that the delmar don so there is a open spot on my reel were #### gets in it. im just wondering if i need to go ahead and get the long beach main gear sleeve as well or if the one i have will work. idk if the long beach sleeve is longer or not
Same guts means same gears, same bridge, same spool and so on. The 285 is very similar to the 60. Good luck with your project

Welcome aboard by the way.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jamesnashtonbrady

hmm. my side plate on my 285 is diffrent then the 60

Alto Mare

Yes they are, but they should still work. Everything else on that reel is the same as the 285,  I don't see why it shouldn't work.

jamesnashtonbrady

nor do i and hell even if it dont work im only spending 4 bucks on ebay. i just cant find them side plates anywere

jamesnashtonbrady