113h 4:1 Gears from Ebay- I see a problem

Started by Joel.B, February 05, 2013, 01:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I dont think the pinion and main gear are same material  :-\

Keta

The main gear should be softer than the pinion.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Joel.B

OK, took this with help of magnifying glass and flashlight- here you see the coating coming off and buggered splines in the groove

Alto Mare

Nice shot Joel, now I see what you're talking about. I'm not really concerned about the burrs, looks like that one got missed form getting cleaned. The finish peeling off got me worried, Why would the plating be there :-\
Looks like we might have contact this guy, even if the gears look good, I'm not crazy about that plating. If any of you that have purchased these gears and didn't install them yet, would you mind checking them out? I hate to take that reel apart again.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

every single on of those short splines  is burred so severely on top inside the channel for the yoke- that the yoke barley fits in there and can barely be turned. I believe that the "burrs" are actually the foil-like coating folding over top of the spline, I dont know if you can see it but there is a dull core with the shiny outer coating, and you can see that same dull core peeking through up that one spline.....

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Joel.B

Yes, definitely plated- that is the word I needed.

The plating is the issue IMO, and no idea what the material is underneath it

Keta

Put a grinder on it and see if it sparks orange.

Mark Twain

Joel.B

Quote from: Keta on February 05, 2013, 09:25:08 PM

I would but these are not mine and the owner wants to send them back so I have to leave them alone.....

otherwise I would happily sacrifice these for the greater good

Black Pearl

If the guy is not using SS pinion gear, that will be very bad for him. I can tell you that he probably has these gears made in China. He his making a killing for around $53.00 (after paypal and Ebay fees) on these 304 SS main gears and whatever material for the pinion gears.

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on February 05, 2013, 09:25:08 PM

Okay Lee it's about time for you to become proffessor Lee.  Tell what would it mean to see orange sparks?  In your answer I want to know what the chemical changes taking place that make the sparks orange?  Come on take the challenge and run with it.  ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Mark Twain

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Mark Twain

Keta

An hour ago I couldn't even spell metallurgist, now I are one....Oxidation of the elements that make up the alloy.

Mark Twain