113h 4:1 Gears from Ebay- I see a problem

Started by Joel.B, February 05, 2013, 01:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Alan,
     You can keep the price at $60 for now and then see how it goes.  "If you build it (properly) they will come" I look forward to seeing a quality gear set produced by one of our own. I know you're not doing this for the money, but for the contribution to the fishing community.  That's not to say you're not entitled to make a buck ;)
When do you think you'll have them for us to play with?
Thanks
Dom

broadway

Tom,
    I wouldn't bother contacting the seller as he already knows he's screwing us.  Also, do you know how he thought of doing these gears to begin with? ...he didn't, he listened in on us, and I hope he can here us now, too.  >:(
Dom

Black Pearl

Quote from: broadway on March 19, 2013, 04:28:28 PM
Alan,
     You can keep the price at $60 for now and then see how it goes.  "If you build it (properly) they will come" I look forward to seeing a quality gear set produced by one of our own. I know you're not doing this for the money, but for the contribution to the fishing community.  That's not to say you're not entitled to make a buck ;)
When do you think you'll have them for us to play with?
Thanks
Dom

No, I think $55.00 is fine. Have you checked the latest updated on that thread (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6259.0)?

The first 17 sets will be here (FL) on Thursday (03/21/2013). I did play with the first set. Everything is very good. I will send out a set to Sal for testing before send out the rest to the members.

wolvie

Hi,

I did contact the ebay seller:

--------------------- my message
Dear bugsconnection,

I purchased 2 sets of these and have been trying to get them to work but the pinion gear slot seems to be too narrow for the yokes.  Looking closely it appears that the slot is not uniform, one side seems very rough - it looks like some burr or type of plating on the pinion is preventing it from turning freely in the yoke.  I have tried several different yokes, but the results are the same and my other pinion sets, both ss and standard, do not exhibit this issue.  Can you tell me if this was a bad run or there is some remedy?

Hi,

Thanks for your purchase and I am sorry to hear this. Yes, we did plating the pinion gear for durability purpose which might cause the problem from turning freely on the yoke.
If you feel comfortable with tools, you can use a small file to smooth the groove on the pinion gear it will solve the problem or please send them back (just the pinion gears) and I will replace them free of charge. Please let me know, thanks.
Once again I appreciate your business and sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Kuojui

--------------------- end

I wish I had caught the thread about gears available here before I made my ebay purchase and my preference is to return them for a refund.  I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

David

Alto Mare

Dom,I understand you being upset, so am I.
This is a pretty simple process. If the seller doesn't cooperate, all we need to do is to open a case with paypal .
I will be sending him a picture of the pinion.
Sal
PS. My gears did not fail from my test,  my test of lifting dead weight is hard on gears. I would still like to return them, simply because of the flaking.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: wolvie on March 19, 2013, 04:46:00 PM
Hi,

I did contact the ebay seller:

--------------------- my message
Dear bugsconnection,

I purchased 2 sets of these and have been trying to get them to work but the pinion gear slot seems to be too narrow for the yokes.  Looking closely it appears that the slot is not uniform, one side seems very rough - it looks like some burr or type of plating on the pinion is preventing it from turning freely in the yoke.  I have tried several different yokes, but the results are the same and my other pinion sets, both ss and standard, do not exhibit this issue.  Can you tell me if this was a bad run or there is some remedy?

Hi,

Thanks for your purchase and I am sorry to hear this. Yes, we did plating the pinion gear for durability purpose which might cause the problem from turning freely on the yoke.
If you feel comfortable with tools, you can use a small file to smooth the groove on the pinion gear it will solve the problem or please send them back (just the pinion gears) and I will replace them free of charge. Please let me know, thanks.
Once again I appreciate your business and sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Kuojui

--------------------- end

I wish I had caught the thread about gears available here before I made my ebay purchase and my preference is to return them for a refund.  I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

David

I think this ebay seller is reading this posting. He gave you the same method as you posted in reply #46 (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6363.msg56921#msg56921)

broadway

Sal,
    I noticed the flaking on the first day I got it, but I felt like I was ranting too much because I had a lot of personal time and some money invested in bringing quality gears to the market, so I shut up.  I'm way less knowledgable than most of you on here which is why I knew you guys would see the issues in short order. 
Now that you know the seller plated the parts (thanks David) you have to ask yourself that very important next question... WHY?!
I have a good idea... inferior materials coupled with a lack of precision.  Platings hide imperfections well and are a feeble attempt at protecting metal when used improperly or in the case of fishing gears where the plating is sure to receive high wear. Does anyone have any pinions or main gears that are plated in their reels?  Not mine >:(
I have enough Newell and Accurate to last my lifetime so I'll just wait until someone does it right to buy for the next generation or just to marvel at a bit ;)
Thanks
Dom

Keta

Anyone familiar with metals would notice the plating but it takes a trained eye.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wolvie

This is mostly out of curiosity, rather than constructive to a resolution, so take it for what it is worth.

I am not up on plating methods, so maybe someone can fill me in:   It looks to me like the plating was done after the slot was cut in the pinion.  I am confused why the teeth on one side of the slot are nice and sharp but on the other side, all gunked up.  It looks like it was dipped into something.  Is that a plating method?

broadway

Lee,
    How I found it was I scratched it with a house key very easily because I saw the crackling. I probably could have used my finger nail it came off so easily.
I'm no metal guy or anything but a parking lot supervisor and a passionate fisherman.
Dom

Keta

Dom, We all have our strong points and things we learn where our lives take us.  What we know does not make us any better than anyone else, what we do does.

Quote from: wolvie on March 19, 2013, 07:07:10 PM
Is that a plating method?
No
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Thank's David and Dom. Good to know the seller is aware of the problems.

wolvie

The seller agreed to a return, so I will be shipping them back and adding 2 more sets to my Black Pearl order.

Alto Mare

Same here ;)
He has been a gentleman about it.
He  mentioned that the gears have been  tested  for a year and none failed, except for the thin plating coming off.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: wolvie on March 20, 2013, 04:40:29 PM
The seller agreed to a return, so I will be shipping them back and adding 2 more sets to my Black Pearl order.

Guys,

I have been thinking if you bought a set or more sets from the Ebay seller before 03/20/2013, and you return and receive your refund. I will sell you the 316 SUS set for $44.00. If you have bought 2 sets, you can purchase 2 sets from me for $44.00. Of course, you have to show me the refund email from PayPal for that transaction.

Please note the price does not apply for the first 17 set batch.

I hope this will make you guys little happier.

Thanks,
--Alan