113h 4:1 Gears from Ebay- I see a problem

Started by Joel.B, February 05, 2013, 01:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 07, 2013, 10:08:42 PM
Quote from: Joel.B on February 07, 2013, 09:24:24 PM
I would like somebody to work these gears and then report back
i'd like to think that this set is from a bad run, and that good gears can be had for $60
I dont want to buy some for myself and have them shred while I am in Baja
Neither does anyone else ::)

Yeah but you already bought and installed them so you should go fish them hard ASAP and report back.......i'd do it for you

but I am poor and have no gears to test so.........

I am going to get pics of this Newell pinion next to the Ebay pinion (is there even a maker name to assign?) will make observations and take notes.........

wolvie

I happen to have 2 sets of the ebay 4:1 gears and was installing them as part of rebuilding 2 113h's today so this topic is quite timely.  I found that they are smooth when I use the original yoke, but bind when I use the new ss yoke.  Maybe some tolerance shifted slightly on the ss yokes?  Or the original pinions had a slightly wider slot? 
(I have some lapping compound and may try that as a solution, despite the recent kerfuffle regarding abrasive, premature wear, etc.  I do see some roughness in the way the slot is cut in the pinion, btw.)

Just my 2 cents, but I will have my reels apart for a while if someone wants me to check anything.  (I have to replace a couple of sticky bearings.)

Alto Mare

Not necessarily the gears, I had that issue with the ss yoke on 4/0's and 6/0's a few times. If you look closely you will notice that one side of the ss yoke has a soft edges while the other side  sharp.
Flip that yoke and see what happens. I usually buff them on my buffing wheel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

Quote from: wolvie on March 17, 2013, 10:27:34 PM
I happen to have 2 sets of the ebay 4:1 gears and was installing them as part of rebuilding 2 113h's today so this topic is quite timely.  I found that they are smooth when I use the original yoke, but bind when I use the new ss yoke.  Maybe some tolerance shifted slightly on the ss yokes?  Or the original pinions had a slightly wider slot? 
(I have some lapping compound and may try that as a solution, despite the recent kerfuffle regarding abrasive, premature wear, etc.  I do see some roughness in the way the slot is cut in the pinion, btw.)

Just my 2 cents, but I will have my reels apart for a while if someone wants me to check anything.  (I have to replace a couple of sticky bearings.)

can you get a feeler-gauge and check the tolerances of the slot?

did you get a good look at the inside edges of the teeth in the slot? 

wolvie

Ok  some images.  I will have to see if I can dig up my feeler gauges . . .

Excuse the quality - depth of field is lousy at this magnification and photography is not my forte.
There does seem to be some plating chipping off.  But one edge is much rougher than the other.

Bryan Young

Wow, that's very good and clear photos.  Thanks for the heads up.

I wondering if they are actually using Stainless Steel if they are plating the gears...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wolvie

I filed down the burrs and other gunk (probably plating) with a nail file and now it fits fine and turns freely.  It is a tighter tolerance than my other ss sets, so we'll see how it works out.  The plating does worry me, as I do not see the point in plating it if it is ss.  I won't be able to fish with it for a couple of weeks, so someone else may have quicker results.  But I will try to beat on it and then take it apart again to see how it held up.

Still did not find my feeler gauges - maybe tomorrow.

I also sent some feedback to the ebay seller, to see how he responds.

Alto Mare

You have a nice camera Wolvie ;). Mine would probably do the same, but I just don't know how to set it ;D. Well it isn't really mine, it's my wifes. Wait when she gets it back, thanks to you guys it now loaded with grease :o. I'll probably tell her that is was a little stiff ;D.
This is what I came up with.
I just removed the gears from the reel, they were working nicely, no issues what so ever. here is what I found by removing the grease
from the pinion with a toothpick

Lots of flakes,. The pinion has definitely been plated, don't ask me why, it just don't know.
The main gear is stainless steel and the pinion appears to be the same, but not sure. I put a magnet to both and they did not stick.
I also did a little test on how hard the material is.... thanks for the tip Tom.
These ebay gears feel very similar to the Accurate, very close in every way, even in density. The only difference is with the plating.
These gears were tested by me , but not on the water, the teeth look fine on both.
I believe the roughness that you've showed us is from the plating, I used a tighter yoke and forced the pinion to go around by hand and more flakes came out.
Here are a couple of more shots of the gears

Sal
Sorry, I was going to post morepictures, but photobucket changed things around and I'm having a tough time downloading them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

My guy told me that this pinion gear is SS 303 or 304. There is some kind of coating on it.

He is scratching his head about that.

Joel.B

WOW those are some nice pics!!!!

Has anybody put these gears to work yet?

I imagine that plating will really come off after some real-world use and get ground into fine particles that may find their way into places you wont want them

Alto Mare

Joel, didn't do no REAL-WORLD test, but as you can see above the plating did really come off. there isn't much left on the pinion, except for the bottom part.
Now,I actually don't believe that the pinion was plated, maybe a metal reaction from their process. the flakes break up easely by pressing on them with a blade. Here is another shot of the flakes without the grease

Either way, it shouldn't have happened. Did my reel stop working or did I notice any difference in functionality? No, I did not.
As I mentioned above, I did put the gears to a test, the only thing left now is to give them a real tast on the water. Maybe one of you California boys can help out with this. Winter is back, here in the NE and my fishing is very limited at the moment, I have kids in college. :'(
Sal

Keta

The machine work looks rough and I do not like the plating flaking off, it will cause premature gear wear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Like I've said in past posts, these gears are WAY inferior to the Accurate Gears (in so many ways.) Please don't compare them... you're putting real engineers using quality materials in the same category as hack machinists using sub standard materials (glad to see it's finally surfacing), whos just churning them out to take your money.  Accurate made a quality product and I know as I have had 9 gear manufacturers tell me so.  I wouldn't waste my time and money sending that ebay gear to anyone.  I have to say that I'm a little surprised more of you guys don't see the differences, as most are seen by the naked eye.  I will not be trusting that pinion on any fishing trip as it needs no testing (it will fail at some point soon)... anyone wanna buy my unused set from me now? Seriously it's here if there are any takers... you can have it for $50 and I'll ship to the lower 48 for free. 
All the best,
Dom

Black Pearl

Quote from: broadway on March 19, 2013, 03:57:06 PM
        Like I've said in past posts, these gears are WAY inferior to the Accurate Gears (in so many ways.) Please don't compare them... you're putting real engineers using quality materials in the same category as hack machinists using sub standard materials (glad to see it's finally surfacing), whos just churning them out to take your money.  Accurate made a quality product and I know as I have had 9 gear manufacturers tell me so.  I wouldn't waste my time and money sending that ebay gear to anyone.  I have to say that I'm a little surprised more of you guys don't see the differences, as most are seen by the naked eye.  I will not be trusting that pinion on any fishing trip as it needs no testing (it will fail at some point soon)... anyone wanna buy my unused set from me now? Seriously it's here if there are any takers... you can have it for $50 and I'll ship to the lower 48 for free. 
All the best,
Dom

Hey Dom,

I guess I should charge my new 316 gear set higher....

Alan

Irish Jigger

Has anyone who purchased these gears contacted the seller? Would be interesting to get his side of the story. "Pay peanuts get a monkey" ;)