113h 4:1 Gears from Ebay- I see a problem

Started by Joel.B, February 05, 2013, 01:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Saving my pennies for when you get the 114H or 500 sets done. Thanks for making these available for us Alan.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

I just wanted to add that I took apart the reel I put these gears in tonight. I haven't fished this reel yet. I did spool it with line. My pinion does not look as bad as some of the pics here, but I still have lots of pieces of the plating coming off. I will be contacting the seller.
     I don't understand how putting plating on the pinion that easily flakes off could be for "durability." I am concerned about metal getting into things like open spool bearings. It looks like everything will get cleaned up and relubed. I hope the seller reads this thread. I will probably send a link in my communication.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

broadway

Alan,
    I can't get a refund for mine from the seller, but I look forward to your contribution to the AT members.
Nice gesture as well,
Dom

Keta

Quote from: Cone on March 21, 2013, 02:18:22 AM
I just wanted to add that I took apart the reel I put these gears in tonight. I haven't fished this reel yet. I did spool it with line. My pinion does not look as bad as some of the pics here, but I still have lots of pieces of the plating coming off. I will be contacting the seller.
     I don't understand how putting plating on the pinion that easily flakes off could be for "durability." I am concerned about metal getting into things like open spool bearings. It looks like everything will get cleaned up and relubed. I hope the seller reads this thread. I will probably send a link in my communication.
Bob

Put your pinion in nitric acid for a few minute to remove the plating then in a strong baking soda solution to neutralize the acid.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

No need to send him a link... he's a lurker! That's why he produced the gears in the first place.  He tried to beat some of us who were trying to produce quality USA made gears (takes time to do) to the punch, so I don't feel he's owed anything.  If he wants he can pay me the $725 that I shelled out for shipping to manufacturers for quotes and for analysis and testing.
Glad to see someone doing the right thing like Alan is, what goes around comes around Mr Kuojoi! :o
    Sal, with all due respect, since when is it okay for someone to test a product, notice a problem, but sell it any way.  Gentleman??? or con artist???
He got what he deserved for selling us that crap in the first place!
If you really wanna know how I feel send me a PM ;)
Dom

Keta

Quote from: broadway on March 21, 2013, 02:34:20 AM
    If he wants he can pay me the $725 that I shelled out for shipping to manufacturers for quotes and for analysis and testing.

Add $200 in gas for me too.

Mark Twain

Cone

Lee, I wouldn't know where to get nitric acid around here. Hydrochloric acid is common but I've never seen nitric acid anywhere here. Would Hcl work?   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on March 21, 2013, 02:34:20 AM
     No need to send him a link... he's a lurker! That's why he produced the gears in the first place.  He tried to beat some of us who were trying to produce quality USA made gears (takes time to do) to the punch, so I don't feel he's owed anything.  If he wants he can pay me the $725 that I shelled out for shipping to manufacturers for quotes and for analysis and testing.
Glad to see someone doing the right thing like Alan is, what goes around comes around Mr Kuojoi! :o
     Sal, with all due respect, since when is it okay for someone to test a product, notice a problem, but sell it any way.  Gentleman??? or con artist???
He got what he deserved for selling us that crap in the first place!
If you really wanna know how I feel send me a PM ;)
Dom
Dom, I'm sure a few of us have been there before.
I said he was a gentleman on how he handled my issue with the gears. I'm not going to judge him as a person. I'm simply going to return the gears to him and be done with it.
I believe that me Lee and a few others here have wasted way more than $725 from testing parts, but who's counting ;D.
I understand you being upset and I thank you for all that you've done for us buddy, but we need to move on with this one.
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Cone on March 21, 2013, 03:11:42 AM
Lee, I wouldn't know where to get nitric acid around here. Hydrochloric acid is common but I've never seen nitric acid anywhere here. Would Hcl work?   Bob

Yes but a bit slower.  Be careful, don't drop the gear in and wear goggles.

Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 21, 2013, 03:13:24 AM

Dom, I'm sure a few of us have been there before.
I said he was a gentleman on how he handled my issue with the gears. I'm not going to judge him as a person. I'm simply going to return the gears to him and be done with it.
I believe that me Lee and a few others here have wasted way more than $725 from testing parts, but who's counting ;D.
I understand you being upset and I thank you for all that you've done for us buddy, but we need to move on with this one.
Sal

I have a pile of "mistakes" but it's my doing.  Not enough to reci yet though.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cone on March 21, 2013, 03:11:42 AM
Here you go Bob, you can make your own:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Nitric-acid-The-Complete-Guide/
Some of the gadgets that he's showing look familiar, my brother used to make his own Grappa ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

I suspect the outfit that made the Ebay gears is one that my contact in China was dealing with - he said they make fuel-injectors among other things, and Ebay seller confirmed to me that the people making the gears make injectors and such.... I dunno..

A few years ago I was trying to get some simple parts made of tungsten, for a really good piece of "fishing gear" I knew I could sell the #$%^% out of........I was tight lipped for a long time about what I need the part for, I would not tell my AMerican contact why I needed it- but then I caved and told him, he immediately cut off contact and in less than two years I see my idea being sold by Bass Proshops.......and they totally missed the boat on it anyway.... missed the concept of why the tungsten was important....whatever

I gave away the hundreds or so I made by hand in my shop - people were begging for more so I showed them how to make them......people are catching fish and having fun, being poor is not all that bad really......

Black Pearl

The Ebay seller seems that he is not selling that 304 gear set on Ebay anymore. I think he is keeping his eye on this site.

broadway

It sure is funny that the ebay seller reads our postings but with all of our comments he still hides behind a computer screen. Good things happen to good people, there is another side to that cliche, and it applies here!
Lurk away kuoiji!
Thanks for the quality product Alan!
Dom

Black Pearl

We will never know. The Ebay seller might be working on improving his gear set or working on a 114H gear set.