Custom handle knob for my Tank

Started by Mandelstam, August 26, 2013, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I agree that some things can be created from this material that was not intended for their original use as countertops. I think making plates is a great idea! Like I said. I can get samples of this stuff in any thickness. 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2". Corian is our competition. That really doesn't mean anything to me. I just know we make some really cool colors of it. A lot more than Corian. If anyone is up to the task. I can provide free samples for side plate tooling.
Karl, I got some of the hardened tubes today and they were full of bubbles. The problem you run into when trying to pour into a mold. It is designed to be poured into a machine that creates an airtight seal with some serious hydraulic pressure to come out at the correct thickness and bubble free.
I don't mean to ramble on, but I have been doing this for 25 years and I know the process. the liquid is formulated to run through the machine at a specific speed at a specific temperature. usually around 180 degrees. When the chemical reaction takes place, the acrylic gets much hotter than that and a constant flow of 180 degree water actually keeps it from getting too hot. It heats up slowly and cools slowly before exiting the 700 foot long casting machine. It is constructed of two 112" wide stainless steel belts.
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 06, 2013, 04:46:13 AM
Karl, I got some of the hardened tubes today and they were full of bubbles. The problem you run into when trying to pour into a mold. It is designed to be poured into a machine that creates an airtight seal with some serious hydraulic pressure to come out at the correct thickness and bubble free.
I don't mean to ramble on, but I have been doing this for 25 years and I know the process. the liquid is formulated to run through the machine at a specific speed at a specific temperature. usually around 180 degrees. When the chemical reaction takes place, the acrylic gets much hotter than that and a constant flow of 180 degree water actually keeps it from getting too hot. It heats up slowly and cools slowly before exiting the 700 foot long casting machine. It is constructed of two 112" wide stainless steel belts.

Yea, I'm not surprised. A lot of resins require high pressure or low pressure (vacuum  bell) to get rid of all the bubbles and get it to flow into every nook and corner of the mold. Nothing you do in your back yard.

As for custom side plates, I think you have to be careful how you do that. To just take an existing plate and make a mold doesn't sound exactly legal to me if you plan to make a small run and sell them.

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

turboal

how about using some 1" dia round stock lexan or teflon ? you can turn it on a lathe into any shape and it's strong also easy to work.

Mandelstam

Quote from: turboal on September 08, 2013, 05:04:36 PM
how about using some 1" dia round stock lexan or teflon ? you can turn it on a lathe into any shape and it's strong also easy to work.

If I had a lathe I would go down that road, believe me! :) You could even cast different colored rods and then turn them on a lathe. But in my apartment I don't have room for one... :/

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

saltydog

A small lathe could be built from readily available stuff that is not to expensive, I used a sewing machine motor to make a fishing rod handle lathe for use in turning everything from cork to hardwood and epoxy.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Mandelstam

Quote from: saltydog on September 08, 2013, 05:38:49 PM
A small lathe could be built from readily available stuff that is not to expensive, I used a sewing machine motor to make a fishing rod handle lathe for use in turning everything from cork to hardwood and epoxy.

Sounds awesome! Got any pics? :P

saltydog

Not yet but I will dig it out next week and take a few.
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Quote from: saltydog on September 08, 2013, 05:38:49 PM
Great, I could really use one myself. I didn't know they were so expensive.
Please do show us some shots...if you don't mind.

You know, I really like white with red

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

Ah, Sal, now you are just showing off! :) Beautiful!

This homemade lathe thing kept tugging on my attention.. Found a few tutorials on line. Doesn't seem too hard to get a small wood turning lathe going.. To find a good cheap motor is probably the hardest. How strong is sewing machine motors generally? If we're not talking industrial machines..

http://www.instructables.com/id/100-Homemade-Lathe/?ALLSTEPS

Alto Mare

Thanks for that Karl. I was looking around and I believe we might be better off with something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-SPEED-BENCH-TOP-1-2HP-MOTOR-10-X-18-MINI-WOOD-LATHE-BED-EXTENSION-18-39-/231033247845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35caa79865
This could be beefed up and it would probably be cheaper.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

Looks good! I'll have to look around and see if I can find something that will ship to Sweden. But that size seems to be hideble. :)

Mandelstam

Alto Mare

I hope you're not serious Karl, shipping is over $100. The only good think I see is that we could make elephants. ;D

saltydog

That is how you build one Karl and yes sewing machine motors are powerful enough and won't break the bank. I have picked them up for less than 25.00 new with foot pedal.
MacArthur

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 09, 2013, 04:07:35 PM
I hope you're not serious Karl, shipping is over $100. The only good think I see is that we could make elephants. ;D

I wonder how they managed to do the trunk...