Custom handle knob for my Tank

Started by Mandelstam, August 26, 2013, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 09, 2013, 04:07:35 PM
I hope you're not serious Karl, shipping is over $100. The only good think I see is that we could make elephants. ;D

yea I know the shipping sucks, but that's no news for me living in northern Europe. I was mostly just looking at the size and construction. The only problem I could see was that the motor is only 24W.. I found another (around $150) 3-in-1 machine with free shipping but that also had a weak motor. I guess you could swap it out though for a stronger one...
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Mandelstam

Hmm.. couldn't find any Emcomat 145, but all other Emcomats looks to be big and serious business.. A bit big for my apartment.. Any links?
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Mandelstam

Dominick asked about ergonomic handles that were fitted to your hand. So I took out some clay and started playing around with it. Squeezed my brains out basically and then tried to smooth it out and tried to define a shape.

I don't know if I like it or not. It reminds me of a gun grip and at the same time some strange bone... But it sure is comfortable! :) With the right clay you could harden it in the oven and then sand it super smooth (1000+ grit) before making a mold and then cast it in a nice color.. Could come out pretty nice.

/Karl

Bunnlevel Sharker

I like that! Kind of like the shimano or aluetnocos grips
Grayson Lanier

saltydog

You could harden that in an oven them some mold release and make a bondo mold of it and cast your own handles, and if you liked it cast it in fiberglass resin for a permanent mold.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Mandelstam

Yea I know, but the clay I had lying around is an oil based clay that doesn't harden. My Super Sculpey is all gone... I'll order some more when I order the resin.

:)

saltydog

I used to make pistol grips like that for our M-4's when I was in the Marine corps, sure made holding a weapon all day more comfortable.
MacArthur

Mandelstam

Yes, it sure does look like a pistol grip.

saltydog

I bet those would feel good after crankin all day too. I may have to get out my casting stuff and give it a go.
MacArthur

redsetta

Great work Karl - loving the innovation ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Very nice Karl...you're the man ;)
I'm glad I didn't see the sixth letter of the alphabet on that bracelet, I would have had to delete it. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Uh Oh!
Its the bracelet Police! You better make a run for it Karl! :D
Life is Good!

Makule

Maybe the Emcomat 145 is discontinued.  Take a look at https://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/Home/tabid/36/List/1/Default.aspx

Emco makes good stuff for the hobbyist.  Not familiar with their larger machines.  Quality is good, as is workmanship.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Mandelstam

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 11, 2013, 03:15:29 AM
Very nice Karl...you're the man ;)
I'm glad I didn't see the sixth letter of the alphabet on that bracelet, I would have had to delete it. ;D

:) Haha, just to clear things up... That is a bracelet I bought after a friends kid got diagnosed with leukemia. It simply says: F*ck Cancer. It's sold by a charity organisation for young people with cancer. And if there is a time when you can use the F-word I think it's when addressing that cruel disease.

;)
/Karl