Black Pearl's gears for 500- 505 & 112H

Started by Alto Mare, October 11, 2013, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

on a side note, how does the newell 5:1 gear compare to the BP's gears?

erikpowell

considering they are all aluminum spools in the test... I'd have to concur with Ron.... IMHO
It may be the bigger spool diameter that is the wildcard on this one.
That said,
I wonder, would a heavier chrome spooled 112h fail under less pressure than the lighter aluminum spool?

Bryan Young

I don't understand the importance of the spacer.  Could you please explain?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I'm guessing that Alan's spacer is cut more precisely than the factory part. That could be important in this high stress application. The more pressure on the drag stack the easier it is for cant to effect smoothness and accelerate wear.
Of course, I said I was guessing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 08, 2014, 07:40:37 AM
I don't understand the importance of the spacer.  Could you please explain?
Yea, I was having discussions with Alan about the spacer saying that it wouldn't really help,
after my latest test using their spacer, they made me a believer.
I put the Jigmaster under a lot of stress and the gears did good.
My test wasn't about holding weight with the star buttoned down, I'm realizing that doesn't really put stress on the gears. My test was done by pulling a wagon loaded with bricks by turning the handle, I started with 10 bricks and gradually added up to 32 bricks, that's a lot of weight. You could also tie the line to a tree or fence and pull as you tighten the drag, but a rolling weight really puts stress on the gears
Bryan, your washers kit did very good all the way.
You guys are talking about increasing the washers, I would recommend to keep it as you have it.
I tried 11:1 on my larger reels and was disappointed, the reel jumped to 10lbs from start, nothing before then.
By the way, on another test with your washers, the Jigmaster maxed out at 24lbs, that's good enough for me ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

The latest update on this gear set is following:

1.) An improved (tighter engagement) pinion gear will be here by end of next week. The last SS 416 heat treated pinion gear did very well in the original Jigmaster 500/501 or 100% conversion Accurate Jigmaster 500, and it will require the modified sleeve spacer.

2.) This newly improved (tighter engagement) pinion gear will test mainly for the 112H, but it will also test it with the Jigmaster 500. These tests will be tested by Sal, and he will give his opinion of it. Hopefully, the result will be out in couple of weeks.

Thanks,
--Alan

floating doc

Sounds like there is still hope for the 112h. That's good.
Central Florida

Alto Mare

The latest tighter engagement pinion has been tested, here is a pic of the two pinions side by side, the one on the right is the latest

even though the pinion on the right is beefier, it failed again in the 112H, the gears didn't really strip, but they did lock up when applying drag

I got over 22lb by pulling the line, but when I started cranking, the gear locked up
I tested the pinion on the jigmaster as well just to make sure and got the same results

the latest is that  these 5:1 gear sets will not work in the 112H.

As you all know the 5:1 set from the previous test did very good in the jigmaster, I decided to push them to the limit and got the scale to 26lb, that's by turning the handle on a rolling weight, the gears slipped once and I stopped.
This test wasn't requested by Alan C., I wanted to do it for myself.
The bottom line is that now we have a nice jigmaster able to handle 20lb, I'm ok with that.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Questions about the 112h test.  Forgive me if I ask something that has already been written.

Were all of the tests done with the same reel?  Did it have a one-piece frame?

I have a 112HN (narrow) that I would loan you if you want to repeat the tests.
Central Florida

Black Pearl

This 5:1 gear set for Jigmaster 500/501/500S will be ready by early of this July. The main gear is done, and we are working on the heat treated SS pinion gear mass and sleeve spacer in production now.

Stay tuned!!!!!

Thanks,
--Alan

bigcatpat

Born to roam the riverbanks.

Black Pearl

Quote from: bigcatpat on June 13, 2014, 02:57:25 AM
Will these work in the 505?
If you look at the first posting on this thread, Sal stated that it would work in the 505.

Sal, is that correct?

Thanks,
--Alan C.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Black Pearl on June 13, 2014, 06:22:33 PM
Quote from: bigcatpat on June 13, 2014, 02:57:25 AM
Will these work in the 505?
If you look at the first posting on this thread, Sal stated that it would work in the 505.

Sal, is that correct?

Thanks,
--Alan C.

Yes!

bigcatpat

bigcatpat

Are we getting any closer to actually getting these gears yet?Just curious. 8)