Black Pearl's gears for 500- 505 & 112H

Started by Alto Mare, October 11, 2013, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Quote from: bigcatpat on July 06, 2014, 01:54:04 AM
Are we getting any closer to actually getting these gears yet?Just curious. 8)

This gear set and the 9/0 pinion gear orders will be finished on 7/25. They will take 5 days to get to the US from Taiwan.

bigcatpat

Quote from: Black Pearl on July 06, 2014, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: bigcatpat on July 06, 2014, 01:54:04 AM
Are we getting any closer to actually getting these gears yet?Just curious. 8)

This gear set and the 9/0 pinion gear orders will be finished on 7/25. They will take 5 days to get to the US from Taiwan.
YAHOOOOOOO!!!! 8)
Born to roam the riverbanks.

Alto Mare

Some are still asking if the custom 5:1 gears will work in the 505HS and since Alan wanted me to test them in the reel, I never gave the 505HS a rolling weight test, so here it goes.

first off, the new spacer will not fit on this reel, it could, but you would need to enlarge the hole a little

here is the layout of the drag washers on the new 5:1 gears on the right

The last washer is flush with the top of the gear, you would usually need to have two washers above

I'll add one of the stock keyed, along with a carbon fiber washer

that looks better

I'll take a minute here to mention that these screwdrivers are awesome. I got them a Lowes for a couple of dollars each. You could apply pressure on the back of the butt and the handle will still spin, handy if you're using one hand.

I'll load the reel up and see what I'll get

if you crank down on the star and hold the reel and the handle as I'm showing, the spool will rock back and forth about 1/8", just a tad more than the 500, but hardly noticeable

pulling on the line I got it to 20lb and still had a little to go with the star, but didn't want to push it

if it ever stops raining, I'll take it outside and do a rolling weight test.
To me, the only way to test the gears is by retrieving weight while turning the handle.
I will post the results when the weather clears a bit.

I was able to go out and test the 505HS, the reel failed at close to 10lb. by turning the handle while retrieving weight. It fooled me, the reel was working nicely with other tests but under stress it failed. I tested the 112H, the Accurate and the Jigmaster 500, but never did the 505 with rolling weight.
Alan mentioned it to me about a week ago.
The bottom line is that the 5:1 gears will not work on the 505HS and the 112H.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tom McKinney

Thanks Sal.  Saved me some bucks.  I'm building a 506. Going to stick with standard gears and 3 stack.  Still going to be a great 20 lb. test reel and that's what I wanted it for anyway.

mhc

Sal / Alan C, Got any ideas why the gears will work in a 500 but not a 505? They seem to be very similar reels.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Tough to say, but from looking at the gears I'm guessing the contact  between the pinion and main gear was too lose. The teeth are cut perfectly, but are not engaging fully when under stress.
At around 7 to 8 lbs the reel was working very nicely.
The different bridge on the 505 and 112H might the cause :-\.
I do want to mention that the gear's teeth never stripped and twisted out of shape as I usual see on others, these were damaged at the very edge, more like scraped, telling me that the contact with the two wasn't enough, this was exactly the same with the 112H. The pinion still looks good by the way.
It is easy for us to say to just let them make the main gear a little wider, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. There are lot's of things to take into consideration, way too steep for me. I do know that they tried to make many adjustments, but it appears nothing has helped.
The good thing about these gears, they are doing very good in the 500.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Thanks Sal, that makes sense - I have bought a 506 I was going to try the gears in, I might leave it stock and get a 500 and narrow it - 501's seem a bit scarce on auction sites lately.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

JRD

Arrrrgggg.  I missed this thread and just ruined a set of BP gears in a 112h.  It wasn't the pinion that failed however it was the gear teeth.  It looks like the pinion carved little strips off the main gear teeth then ground them up.  Unfortunately it failed with 260 feet of spectra out so I had to keep cranking.  Stupid mistake.