Black Pearl's gears for 500- 505 & 112H

Started by Alto Mare, October 11, 2013, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

This misfortune might eventually help many others out there, not just us here.
From what I've heard in the past, there are lots of  Jig-Masters out there.
Nice to hear your guys getting right on it to make it right. The solution they chose sounds good to me, I can't wait to try them.
Most don't have any idea on how much of your work goes into these project to bring them to us, I know about it, because lately I've been talking to you more than I do with my wife ;D.
Thanks for your hard work and the great product you've been making available to us, Alan.
I appreciate it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

It sounds like a workable solution. I just hope that it's economically viable for you. That's important, too.
Central Florida

bigcatpat

Glad you found a solution.Thanks for all your hard work.I still want 4 sets,I CAN'T WAIT!!!!LOL I hope they're ready for Christmas. ;D
Born to roam the riverbanks.

maxpowers

Alan,

Do you have a time frame when you will be send out the upgraded pinion?

Thanks

Black Pearl

Quote from: maxpowers on January 01, 2014, 05:56:21 AM
Alan,

Thanks
Hi Mike,

The replacement pinion gear needs to be tested first. If it does not pass the test, we will have to go back to the drawing board.

When I receive the pinion gear, I will send it to Sal to test it first. If everything works out the way I hope, then I will send out the replacement to members who have purchased last time.

Please note that the original pinion will do fine for under 15lbs drag. I don't really have the ETA yet. I know they are ready for testing at this stage.

By the way, your rod will send out tomorrow.

Thanks,
--Alan

floating doc

Here's another option for adding durability to metal parts. This is a link to a comprehensive article on WPC, a metal conditioning process used extensively in the highest level of motorsports. It may be very promising for something like these gears.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/17/Special-Treatment-Part-1-All-you-wanted-to-know-about-WPC.aspx
Central Florida

Black Pearl

Quote from: mitchota on January 02, 2014, 10:15:13 PM
Happy New Year everyone!

Alan - I'd like to have 1 set of package B. Thanks, and hope you'll be able to approve everything soon and move to production. Best of luck!
Hi Mit,

The jack, bridge and yoke posting is following.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8737.0

I will let you know when they are ready.

Thanks,
--Alan

maxpowers

Quote from: Black Pearl on January 01, 2014, 03:38:13 PM
Quote from: maxpowers on January 01, 2014, 05:56:21 AM
Alan,

Thanks
Hi Mike,

The replacement pinion gear needs to be tested first. If it does not pass the test, we will have to go back to the drawing board.

When I receive the pinion gear, I will send it to Sal to test it first. If everything works out the way I hope, then I will send out the replacement to members who have purchased last time.

Please note that the original pinion will do fine for under 15lbs drag. I don't really have the ETA yet. I know they are ready for testing at this stage.

By the way, your rod will send out tomorrow.

Thanks,
--Alan

thanks Alan.

Tightlines667

Do you know if these gears will work in a Penn Super Peer 309?  The Main shares the same part # as the 500/01 & 112 series, but the pinion is a different part #.  I'm also wondering about the double dogged SS sideplates.

Thanks
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Ron Jones

I know the bridge won't fit. I know that Newell advertised that the gears will fit but I don't know of anyone who has tried them. I would think if they did work you would need a 500 yoke to fit the pinion. The $50,000.00 question is will the pinion fit the spool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

lots of rain here in the NE, so I decided to test the new replacement pinion indoors

pulling the weight with the rod, I got 26lb.

By turning the handle, I got it up to 21lb. and couldn't go any higher

The new bushing/spacer did great, but could have been a little longer. I added a washer

The brass sleeve is pretty much gone

and here are a couple of shots of the new hardened pinion

Yes it did survive.
To me, these gears should be able to handle close to 20lb. of drag.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

20 pounds means I can fish my 112H with 60 which is what I want. Sounds great Sal, you are the man!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

You could probably go more, but I need to be on the safe side for Alan. Any Higher would be up to you.

Tightlines667

18-20lbs is still alot of drag.  I've caught 500lb+ Blue Marlin with less.  Did you try the stadic vs. dynamic effective drag test on this one?  Thank you once again for running these tests!  Are you planning on testing the other SS parts next?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

Thanks for testing these so we don't lose the big one when that time comes.
Thanks to Alan for coming up with a solid solution for us.
When should we be expecting this pinion?
What a crumby day in the entire northeast;( ...but tomorrow's gonna be a real winner.
Dom