Sharpening Knives -- Best so Far

Started by foakes, August 31, 2015, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

It's amazing what you can make with a drill press, a belt sander and time.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Most of my shapenings are chisels or plane irons; knives not so much.
A flattening plate is crucial.
I like a hollow grind so it's a grinding wheel and then water stones for the micro bevel. Leather strop or polishing after that helps but , for the work I do, skip it.

Really can't say what's best for a knife blade.

I know some guys use a spray adhesive on hardwood or plate glass and wet/dry papers and gets real sharp.

scary sharp.

this post was about knives... sorry to hijack

Zimbass

Quote from: Reel 224 on September 01, 2015, 03:53:15 AM
Tom: For years I shaved with a straight razor that belonged to my father, I used an India stone...which is very fine and a leather strop which had a rosin side and a leather side to finish the blade. Best shave I ever had, I just got lazy and started to use a new stile razor about 15 years ago. It's true that a stone will do a much finer job on a blade with lots of time and effort. I had a German steel hunting knife that I had honed to a razors edge that blade is still as sharp today as it was 45 years ago. My son has that knife today and still uses it for skinning and dressing deer.

I like the idea of the belt sander here because it is multi purposed and can do a decent job on a blade with care as well as shape small parts.

Joe 

Looking at your photo, that razor don't work so good Joe  :D ;)
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

CapeFish

Keta

Quote from: Zimbass on September 01, 2015, 05:24:45 AM

Looking at your photo, that razor don't work so good Joe  :D ;)

It does look like he missed a spot.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

This is my everyday carry knife.

My Dad always taught me, whether out in the field, or out to dinner, or in Church -- a man should always have a clean handkerchief, a comb, two band aids in his wallet, and a pocket knife with more than one blade (in case one breaks, or is not the proper application).

Never forgot that -- old school, I guess.  But it is surprising just how many times a day the pocket knife comes in handy.

No particular reason for this knife to be a favorite -- just a combination of sentimental family memories, decent quality, nice action, and old traditional design.  Been in the family for around 70 years, or so.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

i tried a belt sharpener a while back and didn't care for the way it left the tip, so i gave it to dad and he loves the thing.  the edges are super clean and sharp, but all the tips of his knives are rounded.   :-\

i've used a spyderco bench stone for my blades.  it's ALOT of work and you have to keep after the blades constantly, but it's worth it.  i carry a kershaw assist pocket knife and i love the way it freaks out the girls at work when i flip it open to open up an envelope or a bag of chips.  i've always kept the blade spooky sharp.  it makes a great letter opener!!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

1 x 30 belt sander 3m Trizact belts - finish with leather strop (glued to lump of mdf - stops the blade becoming convex ;))

Reel 224

Well gentleman and ladies, I purchased the 1"X30" belt sander from Harbor Freight today and set it up which took a little time but I found the one that I purchased to be powerful and very good for sharpening utility knives. I am very satisfied with it. You do have to adjust the belt support and table to allow for some clearance, about 1/16" to 1/8" As far as I'm concerned it was a great suggestion.

After setting up the belt sander Ruth and I celebrated with a bottle of Chainti Reserve 10 year old I had one large wine glass and some cheese and Peaches. Ill be honest, it's a wonder I am able to type on the computer right now ;) ;D It's been a while since I have drank any wine so I feel pretty good right now..thank you! Fred I have a pocket knife like that made by Remington with the choke blade for changing chokes in you shotgun and a punch for making a hole in a turkey leg for as tag.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Beautiful knife, Joe --

This is a good company to buy from --

In addition to carrying leather belts, grit up to 3000 -- and a ton of sharpening items -- they have a service where they sharpen knives to razor fineness -- with a 24 hour turn-around.  They also do repairs.

Of course, most of us will sharpen our own -- or die trying...

The only reason I bring this up -- is since they use what they sell, have experts on board, offer service, and have great reviews -- and good value pricing -- they know what they are about.

No Pilgrims at this company --  no drama -- just results.

Not just an Amazon reseller -- they know blades.

Free shipping and reasonable pricing on tough to find items.

Check out the link:

http://www.theedgemasters.com/SharpeningSuppliesforSale.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9o-vBRCO0OLi2PfPkI8BEiQA8pdF4DvXmWLrluNLrfXJyyeBpVvznT9LXbQceyXaG9CwEicaAjPQ8P8HAQ

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

I take my kitchen & fillet knives to a place in Brooklyn that sharpens knives for the Cooking Channel.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Take a pic or two for us when you Sober up Joe. :D
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Be very careful if you use a leather belt on a belt sander. Whether just plain oiled, or loaded with chrome dioxide or similar - they are agressive. They can create a bigger burr instead of removing one. I did try one (and really percevered for some time) I went back to using a strop mounted on mdf (to prevent the blade becoming convex). Another thing with power belt strops is they sttrrreeeetch very easily. When done remove immediately. I didn't (costly mistake ::))
The belts I would recommend are 3M Trizact. They ar not the cheapest but -they don't clog - they outlast cheap belts by a country mile - For metal I won't use anything else.

Reel 224

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 02, 2015, 04:56:47 AM
Take a pic or two for us when you Sober up Joe. :D

I'm sober and ready to take some pictures. That wine really did go straight to my head  ;D