Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Mine got here late this afternoon. Assembly line going on this evening. Blue done. Green done. Silver to go tomorrow. Photos to follow when all complete.     Rudy

mhc

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 01, 2016, 04:14:19 AM
Very nice job Tom, the plates look great:

Thanks!

Sal
Nice reel Sal, good color match - including the star?? It looks a bit like the stainless one on the tank except it's red. - I'm also curious about the spool, it looks like a slight recess has been machined in the gear/handle end?
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Thanks Mike! Good eye on the spool.
It is a Penn spool, but I'm not sure the cutout was done by them.
Here is a close-up:

Definitely a great option to have, it clears the bridge nicely.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 01, 2016, 11:25:14 AM
Thanks Mike! Good eye on the spool.
It is a Penn spool, but I'm not sure the cutout was done by them.
Here is a close-up:

Definitely a great option to have, it clears the bridge nicely.

Sal

To make more room for bridge screws?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Not necessarily. If that would be the case, as we've been seeing on some reels lately, shortening the screws would cure that problem.
On some reels a spacer is needed at time on the right side bearing to keep the spool from rubbing on the bridge. It could be on the pivoted sleeve post, or the edge of the bridge itself. Not all spools are equal, some are more forgiving than others. With that said, whomever came up with what you see above was a smart person. Always good to take the guesswork out when possible.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 01, 2016, 02:36:32 PM
Not all spools are equal
Sal
I hear that. I've got a 113h spool with the spindle just wide enough that I can't get Alan C's SS pinion over it. Another spool is fine. It's off by just a thousandth of an inch or two or three... Penn specs are looser than Alan's....

Sid
Sid Lehr

RowdyW

Sal, where is the handle arm from? Is that a prototype from Adam before the back end was rounded off?      Rudy

Alto Mare

Rudy, that is from Adam latest, I'm not sure if he has another design. He will need to answer on that one.

Three se7ens

Quote from: RowdyW on May 01, 2016, 03:39:50 PM
Sal, where is the handle arm from? Is that a prototype from Adam before the back end was rounded off?      Rudy

That is one of the prototype offset handles. The new ones will have 2 positions, and the back end rounded off. I have the new ones cut, but haven't had time to make a die for bending them yet.

Keta

You do such good work Adam, thank you. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Rowdy
Did you hide the thread for your blue and green builds?
Can't seem to find it?

RowdyW

Quote from: David Hall on May 01, 2016, 10:52:47 PM
Rowdy
Can't seem to find it?
David, I still have to finish the silver build then I'll show all three.     Rudy

David Hall

Oh I see, you want us to suffer sensory overload by posting them all at once!

PacRat

David,

Go to Senators thread titled "My Apple" on page 3 for the black and green builds. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17861.30

And "A different Anniversary" for the blue build.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17900.0

And "How to convert 113 to no lugs" also the blue build.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17944.0

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on May 01, 2016, 11:32:37 PM
Quote from: David Hall on May 01, 2016, 10:52:47 PM
Rowdy
Can't seem to find it?
David, I still have to finish the silver build then I'll show all three.     Rudy
I'm Rudy's camera man, and I'll be out of town for a little while, so it's looking like it's my fault you'll have to wait to see Rudy's builds. :(

Sid
Sid Lehr