Ohio Flathead Cat fisherman seeks advice on a Penn Project reel

Started by Chillydigits, February 04, 2017, 04:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chillydigits

Hello and thanks for letting me join your site, I am 53, hail from Ohio, yes I know folks from Ohio are buckeyes worthless nuts  ;D.. my fishing here is for Flathead Catfish 5lbs-55lbs from shore in small to med. sized rivers. My current set ups are Penn Fathom 20lws, and Penn Squall 15lws. I am lob casting 4oz-8oz. of weight with a 4-10 inch bait fish. Line 30-40lb mono.

Due to Rotator Cuff surgery My fishing will be delayed this spring. I need a project... I saw the reels folks here have rebuilt/hotrodded/updated and it got me thinking of attempting a Penn project reel myself. Knowing nothing about Penns other then Fathoms, Squalls, 209s and 309s I am at a loss where to start. I looked at squidder, jimaster narrows on eBay.. I would like to avoid using a 209 or 309 if possible.  I would like the reel to hold 100-175yards of 30-40lb mono and have at up to 15lbs of drag.. levelwind is not a requirement. Any suggestions of older rebuildable/upgradable Penns that fit my requirements? Advice is greatly appreciated...... Fred

alantani

fred, welcome!  there are a couple of nice reels to start with.  a basic 4/0 senator 113h may be big, but you will get the drag you need.  the levelwinds might be a big light!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sdlehr

You're in the same general area as Mo, who should be around soon. He has been hot rodding reels for the same purpose for a little while now.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Chillydigits

Thanks for the welcome and advice! I am not looking for level wind, hoping that opens the field up a little more!

Keta

If you want to spend the $ for the frame and spool a narrow 113H.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Welcome, Fred --

If I was fishing for large, heavy cats in the rivers -- with the chance of hooking a monster -- a strong consideration would be a 113 US Senator with the only add-on being Tom's drop in double dog on the deck bridge assembly.

This would be a capable and bulletproof setup with the numbers and line you have indicated.

Best,

Fred

The upgraded Penn 113HN/US113 Senator Bridge Assemblies are here!
This is Bridge assembly specifically designed for those who want to run drag numbers at or above the recommended maximum settings on your
Baja Special or 113 US Senator family of reels.

Read the discussion here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17972.0

Here it is:

The bridge comes fully assembled ,drop in ready, with the following components:
Modified Penn Bridge 3-113HN
One piece construction, hardened 416 stainless steel gear sleeve.
Hardened 17-4 stainless steel dogs.
Modified Penn dog springs 14-15KG
Stainless steel dog posts.
Stainless steel washers, screws, and cir-clips.
Delrin washer to replace Penn 4-155 under gear washer.(not pictured)

Because of the assembly time, shipping on these will have a two week lead time.
Price, including shipping is $65.00 each.

Rob will have them on the website in the next few days.

I want to thank everyone for their input, especially Jeff and Alex for the hands on testing!
Tom
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Hi Chillydigits. If you were bypassing the 309 because of stock drag numbers, read my thread about how to build a 15lb. max drag 309 for under $100.(reel cost included in that price).

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18587.0                   

If you were bypassing it because you're not crazy about the feel(like me)...consider my favorite, the 210. It's capable of making power just shy of those big Senators the guys are suggesting, and packs down through the rip rap a whole lot easier!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18615.0

I haven't even had time to fish this one yet...but I'm certain nothing in the river is going to bust it.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20574.0

I love the big reels when fishing in the boat. Here's my 4/0 project.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19717.0

One of these days I'll get a deal on a 6/0 Senator and build the trophy hunters dream...but I'm confident chasing the largest of cats with reels producing 15-20lbs. of drag. Realistically speaking, when we are using 30-40lb. line(and that's the size preferred by most cat guys) going past 20lbs of drag would be break off city. Then for those "river monster" size lunkers...the Senator with 50-80lb. line on it would allow you to see why horsing a flathead is exasperating! :D ;D 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Hey...I should add that Fred's suggestion...the Baja Special with Tom's bridge is on my wish list.  8)

Chillydigits

Mo, thanks for the advice, I am passing up the 309s just because I don't care for them.. I was looking at the Senators suggested, sweet looking reels! but even the narrow ones seem to hold 250yds of 50lb test.

My river Flathead fishing is on the Muskingum north of Zanesville up to Coshocton, not big water by any means. A couple spots it's a1/2 mile walk in to my fishing spot. I will start looking at 210s, as the lone Penn fan in the group I fish with, any chance to catch a nice fish on a classic Penn and get to rub my Abu friends a little always makes for a great night on the river..

mo65

I hear ya on the 309...it's not my favorite either...but most folks who fish Penn around here use 309s...they are very popular. We fish the Muskingum too, the last lock at Devola. Welcome to the site! 8)

Chillydigits

Mo, that 259/99 is one sharp reel. Any idea how much 40lb mono that Reels holds? It is hard for me  to get an idea of its size. Is it close to an Okuma Catalina 25?

mo65

Quote from: Chillydigits on February 04, 2017, 08:46:50 PM
Mo, that 259/99 is one sharp reel. Any idea how much 40lb mono that Reels holds? It is hard for me  to get an idea of its size. Is it close to an Okuma Catalina 25?

Thanks...it's a great feeling reel in the hands too. It's the same size as a Silverbeach 99...same size side plates as a Jigmaster. I'm not really sure of line capacity...but the 30lb. line I used came off a Levelline 350...and Scott's spec sheet says the 350 holds 300yds. of 30lb. I bet Jeff(Rivverrat) will have some suggestions too.

josa1

Hi Chilidigits,

Was thinking a Shimano TLD 15 would be perfect for this type of fishing.  Has a larger drag, is narrow, casts great, easy lever drag adjustments, and I think just the right size.  I've caught some nice ocean going fish to about 30 pounds on them and they are not outgunned on that size fish.

They're common reels and you should be able to find one on ebay for a decent price.  Also lots of help on this forum on how to work on them, me included.

Good luck in your search.  I was a flat head fisherman in SW Missouri, but all of mine were caught on a trot line.

josa1

josa1

Benni3

thorhammer

Hey Fred, welcome! I been chewing in this one...

250 yds / 40....want to hotrod and fish classic Penn....need around 40lbs drag....CASTABLE......

I woke up this morning and think what you are after is a 505 HS Jigmaster. Ballbearings, castable, high speed gear will let you get more drag surface, and it's the AR-15 of Penns in terms of mods you can get....frame, handle, drags and you'll have a castable, smooth beast. If you want to go full monty, a Cortez Classic 500 kit with bearing control knob, SS giuts, Adam insert...done.

I love the 210,  have a few and fish them. But levelwind is not gonna cast 40-50 mono very well.

JMO

John