113h/114h senator - short version

Started by alantani, January 25, 2009, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coralsea

I made simple LB test
Penn 114h original's drag washers easily hold 35LB. Pure drag, no rod help...
no pain-no gain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I don't know that I would want to catch something that pulls that drag. That's a lie of course, but my back would hate me the next day.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

coralsea

There is a little secret involved...
I made tension spring almost...flat..I understand, that it is not quite a good idea to do this..
But..You see the result...
no pain-no gain

Hebear

I am a new member who has been buying Penn for a number of years for fishing I do both in the Columbia River in Oregon and offshore in east Florida.  Decided I want to start rebuilding my own reels.  Have a number of 113's and 114's and 114H's and a few Model 49's 

Really like the short version of the 114 reassemble.  How do I get to the regular version.  Seems like a great place to start getting my head around the Penn design since I am concluding they are much the same in design

alantani

use the penn 1/0 senator rebuild.  it pretty much covers everything.  and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JoePlo

Need help. Got the HT-100 kit for the 114. Put that together but cant seem to figure out the rest of the drag assembly. This picture is what I have to work with.

Thin spring washer / metal spacer / thick spring washer / thick flat washer / washer with fiber ring

Shark Hunter

The thickest flat washer goes on top of the stack. Then the spacer. The felt one is optional, since you have upgraded the stack, There might not be room. The thinnest goes in between the handle and the star. The spring washer goes on top of the spacer.this might help.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/114_post.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

JoePlo

So the upgraded stack finishes with a thin metal washer. On top of that goes the thick flat one (So thin metal with thick metal on top?), then spacer, thick spring, star, thin spring and then handle?

Shark Hunter

Yes, That sounds right to me.
I have modified so many drag stacks. I do it without thinking. Based on the Schematic and your parts. Yes.
That is my final answer. ;D
Life is Good!

otghoyt

Shark hunter....you like these 114s doncha?  I have a 114HL that I have done this and that to and I want to run something by ya. 

On the 114HL.  The aluminum cross bars..yeah those ones.  Do you think it would kill the strength to hollow out that recessed area where Penn puts those bogus aluminum stickers?  I want to open that up and polish them for the bling factor.  They would still cover more area than posts and I have some really long screws in mine. 

I also have a Newell reel stand on the 114 so it's a pretty tight unit but do you think I will be making it all wiggly again.

Hoyt

Shark Hunter

Hoyt,
I'm not a fan of the cross bars. All my 114's either have a full or half Aluminum frame, or just the posts.
I do have one 114HL that I picked up just because I wanted the rod it was on. Got them both for $100.
Its not that I am stuck on 114H's. I like all senators.
I say go for it. If it doesn't work out, you can always replace them or go back to posts.
Maybe someone with a little more experience with those Bars could chime in.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Hoyt, those cross bars stiffen up the reel better then the posts, but aluminum half or full frames are the way to go as Daron said. If you open up the center of the cross bars you are going to weaken them, then the posts would be the stronger set up. The cross bars are an aluminum casting & posts are brass. Why not just glue a s/s plate in there if you need bling.       RUDY

otghoyt

Thank you both for responding to my whackko question.  I like the full and half framed 114s as well.  Penn was well intended but a case of too little, too late on those.  I have had this one since the early 80s and we have some history.  First I got the "Light" bars then an aluminum spool, then the Newell frame and lastly another aluminum spool.  In all my infinite wisdom, I bought a half frame and I had an early 8 holer.  Yeah, yeah, I know.

The aluminum spacer bar is still available from Scott's for like 13 bucks +transpo.  So I am going to carve one up to see.  I kinda like the looks of those Tib frames with the triangle cut out in front.  If I do it that way I will leave some meat down there where the mount screws only go half way across. If it fails, I'll chop it down and use it to replace that one chrome bar on top by the harness lugs.  Always hated that thing!

The stainless insert is interesting but it adds mo-beef to an already suitable boat anchor.  Me thinks me will have some vinyl stickers printed up at a sign store. Whaddya think "Phish Phukkar".  Or maybe one of those BD fish skeleton lo-gos?  Got a better one...I'm open?  I'll have a minimum order made up, use 2, keep 2 and give away the remaining 99 of them here on AT site.

H

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!